autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing a car with decals

Hey guys.. I just got my new 3401 with the Wolfgang starter kit from AG and plan to detail my 1982 CJ-7. I am new to machine correction. Im sure this has been asked but did a search and did not find specific topic. What do I do with decals. Cover, machine over them? I will try to add a picture of the jeep. I am referring to the word "Jamboree" on the hood. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any reply's!

Detailing a car with decals-jambo-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing a car with decals

just go over it lightly with the flex and a light polishing pad. if there is any correction that needs to be done, you will have to put that flex down and work your arm muscles. you have to be very careful when polishing stickers/decals coz you might caused the colour/texture to be lighter than what it is before. best is to avoid polishing on sticker/decal at all cost.

if the stickers/decals are those shiny type, you can apply sealant/wax over it with a finishing pad.

hope my inputs doesnt come too late.

Drak

Post Thanks / Like

Tape them off.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drakulah View Post
    just go over it lightly with the flex and a light polishing pad. if there is any correction that needs to be done, you will have to put that flex down and work your arm muscles. you have to be very careful when polishing stickers/decals coz you might caused the colour/texture to be lighter than what it is before. best is to avoid polishing on sticker/decal at all cost.

if the stickers/decals are those shiny type, you can apply sealant/wax over it with a finishing pad.

hope my inputs doesnt come too late.

Drak
    In one sentence you say go over lightly with the Flex and a light polishing pad..then you say "best to avoid polishing on sticker/decal at all cost. Which is it?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

apologies for the confusion. it depends on the texture of ur decals. if the texture is matte, i suggest u avoid polishing them. polishing them will result in the colour to be lighter than before.
    if its glossy, just go lightly over it with slow speed (with DG 105). this will help to clear dirt that are sticking on it. too fast and too much pressure will result in ur decal to be a shade lighter.

as stickers/decals are not like paintwork. once demage, it cannot be rectify. hence, that is why i say better to leave it as it is. BUT then again if u dont try, you wont know how light u need to go.

i hope i dont confuse u again. i have detail many cars with stickers/decals of various conditions. i learnt my lessons through the mistakes i have done.

Drak

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

my car with stickers on it. stickers been there for 6 years and was last polish early this year. i have been busy grooming other people cars that i neglected my own car.
    sigh.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Detailing a car with decals-whatsapp-image-2017-02-14-17-15-30-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drakulah View Post
    my car with stickers on it. stickers been there for 6 years and was last polish early this year. i have been busy grooming other people cars that i neglected my own car.
    sigh.....
    Wow!!