autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheels and brake calipers

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner for polished aluminum wheels with painted pockets, and painted brake calipers? Specifically they are on a Dodge Challenger SRT. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheels and brake calipers

Well I use Meg's Mirror Brite on my OEM wheels and it works great! I also spray some on my calipers and use a brush the further clean them, along with the wheels when they are really dirty but I don't let them really get too dirty to be honest with you. I'm sure your wheels get dirtier due to the performance of your car and its weight, so this is a fine choice.

For routine cleanings I suggest using either Diablo or Sticky Citrus from Chemical Guys. The 16 ounce bottle makes 5 times its size and I've never had an issue with either of them, which is why I always have it in my collection. I would also suggest trying the new Sonux wheel shield, pretty good stuff. I've tried it and tested it with great results, good luck to you
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Well I use Meg's Mirror Brite on my OEM wheels and it works great! I also spray some on my calipers and use a brush the further clean them, along with the wheels when they are really dirty but I don't let them really get too dirty to be honest with you. I'm sure your wheels get dirtier due to the performance of your car and its weight, so this is a fine choice.

For routine cleanings I suggest using either Diablo or Sticky Citrus from Chemical Guys. The 16 ounce bottle makes 5 times its size and I've never had an issue with either of them, which is why I always have it in my collection. I would also suggest trying the new Sonux wheel shield, pretty good stuff. I've tried it and tested it with great results, good luck to you
    I thank you for all of your suggestions. I was actually looking at the Sticky Citrus from CG on line last night. Only reason why I wouldn't go with it is because it needs to be diluted. I want to to go with something I can spray on, give a light wipe or brush, then hose off. I'll look into your other suggestions. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyp View Post
    I thank you for all of your suggestions. I was actually looking at the Sticky Citrus from CG on line last night. Only reason why I wouldn't go with it is because it needs to be diluted. I want to to go with something I can spray on, give a light wipe or brush, then hose off. I'll look into your other suggestions. Thanks again.

Well Meg's Mirror Brite is your answer there but, not be pushy, buying a gallon of distilled water and making 96 ounces of Sticky Citrus is a good idea, can't beat 96 ounces of great wheel cleaner for well under $20.00! Use the Meg's Mirror Brite or 3D Brake Dust cleaner for the heavy jobs, just thought of that one!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

When you say polished.. are they clear coated or bare alloy?
    This will determine the best safe product to use.....

If clear coated then you have more options to use safely;

NOTE some callipers, and disc rotor centres are not coated and can discolour with acid based and iron chelate based (turn purple) cleaners, especially if they are left to dry, or you apply to a warm calliper of wheel in haste..
    Doing a test spot will save a drama...

For heavy baked on Megs wheel bright is what i use, its great cos you can dilute to adjust the strength to the dirt level you typically encounter (based on pads, useage and cleaning freqency)..
    For iron removal, there are many options.. suggest you do a quick search and find whichever is available at best proce locally to you, again buyiong in 5l form makes these a lot more economical..
    For weekly wash simple car shampoo should suffice, no point using harsh chems if not needed

Finally once they are clean, suggest a polish and coating of a durable sealant or wax (collinite 845 is agreat cheap whay to keep wheels and callipers cleaner longer, and easier to clean).. coatings are even better IF you want to ivest to that level..

Hope that helps.. all the best..

Post Thanks / Like

I like to play it safe ... P21S, Griots, or DP. Others exist. Never clean wheels when hot !

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah when you look at it that way, then I can put it in my own spray bottle, not a bad idea. The CG STUFF GOOD?

Post Thanks / Like

If they are not that bad just use car wash, I've never used chemicals on my wheels. If you maintain them that's all you should need. Anything bad wheel brightener is the one

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all. Speedy responses with a variety of products and personal mixed in. Thanks again. Great site by the way!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This was Kenotek cleaner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast