autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the best ceramic/nano glass coating for a first timer?

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldLayne View Post
    I've been polishing and applying sealants so far by hand application with no issues.

Besides, I live in a condo with no garage so a corded polisher/buffer is ruled out.

Gotta make do with what I have.
    Griots battery polisher

Post Thanks / Like

I've been polishing and applying sealants so far by hand application with no issues.

Besides, I live in a condo with no garage so a corded polisher/buffer is ruled out.

It's not that you will have issues, you just won't get anything close to the same results you get compared to the finish and gloss you get with a polisher. The big time shine and reflection comes from the clear being finished with the machine and pad and polish combination.

If I were still doing this by hand (which I did for many years) I wouldn't invest the money in coatings. I'd stick with a high quality sealant like HD Poxy, WG 3.0 or BF Wet Diamond etc.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and a coating that can also be applied on glass and possibly wheels would be great as well.

On that note, why are they selling coatings separately for wheels and glass? Do they use a different formulation or is it some kind of marketing gimmick (I read somewhere the GTechniq stuff they sell for various parts of the car are essentially the same formula in a different package)

Its not like wheels and glass are made out of UnObtanium that they need a special formula, do they?
    Gloss Coat can be applied to everything but glass. Optimum recommends their glass coating for glass as it handles wiper abrasion better than gloss coat.

Wheel coatings are intended to handle the heat generated in that area better. In reality one can apply the paint coating to the wheels as well. It just may not last longer because of the higher temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Yup,

I wouldn't invest the money in coatings without having the tools to properly prepare the surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    It's not that you will have issues, you just won't get anything close to the same results you get compared to the finish and gloss you get with a polisher. The big time shine and reflection comes from the clear being finished with the machine and pad and polish combination.

If I were still doing this by hand (which I did for many years) I wouldn't invest the money in coatings. I'd stick with a high quality sealant like HD Poxy, WG 3.0 or BF Wet Diamond etc.
    I agree with these statements.

Post Thanks / Like

So no polisher no glass coating?

So what are some good cordless polishers/buffers?

I saw something called Westward a while back. Its 18V 3.4A and had good reviews. Anyone has experience with one of those?

It has to be cordless/battery operated.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I use like C2V3 or Reload on top of a sealant and be done with it? I can do that periodically every 6 months.

Right now I have a layer of DG601/105 and 2 layers of Megs UPW. I periodically use the UQD and UQW for maintenance every few weeks.

I bought the Mirror Glaze #21 Sealant and the DG 101 clean & polish to apply once the weather gets human here in late Sept/early OCT.

I also bought some Opti Seal.

Can I like apply Opti Seal on top of the DG 101 + Megs #21 sealant and let it cure a day and do a coat of reload or c2v3 on top of that?

I could do this twice a year in Spring and Fall

I was also looking into the Ultima Paint Guard plus to use on top of the sealant.

Basically I am looking for easy removal of dust with one of them california thingies and especially in summer, protection from heat and UV fading (we get like the highest UV index most of the summer)

Rain, Snow and Salt are all least of my concerns. Dust and Heat are primo.

Btw, the car is brand new(2016)with paint in great shape and barely 6 months old and well protected so far.

Post Thanks / Like

You must have arms that bigger than John Cena's
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

7. Thanks Outklassed thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO if you go the sealant route you have a inventory of good products already. As far as Reload over a sealant it is known to cause issues when not applied over a CQaurtz coating or bare paint, hell Reload can be a PIA even when that's done. Also I'm of the believer in just using one sealant instead of throwing different layers of different sealants on top, pick a sealant and use a spray wax in between. Don't overthink this and more isn't better in most cases

Post Thanks / Like

So no polisher no glass coating?

So what are some good cordless polishers/buffers?

I saw something called Westward a while back. Its 18V 3.4A and had good reviews. Anyone has experience with one of those?

It has to be cordless/battery operated.

Griots garage battery polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Can I use like C2V3 or Reload on top of a sealant and be done with it? I can do that periodically every 6 months.

Right now I have a layer of DG601/105 and 2 layers of Megs UPW. I periodically use the UQD and UQW for maintenance every few weeks.

I bought the Mirror Glaze #21 Sealant and the DG 101 clean & polish to apply once the weather gets human here in late Sept/early OCT.

I also bought some Opti Seal.

Can I like apply Opti Seal on top of the DG 101 + Megs #21 sealant and let it cure a day and do a coat of reload or c2v3 on top of that?

I could do this twice a year in Spring and Fall

I was also looking into the Ultima Paint Guard plus to use on top of the sealant.

Basically I am looking for easy removal of dust with one of them california thingies and especially in summer, protection from heat and UV fading (we get like the highest UV index most of the summer)

Rain, Snow and Salt are all least of my concerns. Dust and Heat are primo.

Btw, the car is brand new(2016)with paint in great shape and barely 6 months old and well protected so far.
    You have a nice selection of products. You could use either of those. M21/UQW is a fine combination and will last months.

Opti Seal is so easy to apply you could do that routinely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choijw2 View Post
    I picked McKee's 37 paint coating as my first coating ever and currently coating my car section by section after work LOLL

Its easy to apply, super slick , cheap, and also it has the longest shelf life than any other coatings I've looked at.
    Simply can't beat that product,it's outstanding cheap and best of all can be used in the sun for us mobile guys.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast