autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bentley paint question.

Hello everyone,

I am detailing a Bentley Speed 4 doors, the car is 2012 model, only 18k km ~ 11k miles, but scratches and swirls everywhere!

I found that the paint really really hard. I used Sonax Cutmax, Menzerna FG400 first with Orange hybrid lake country, then with flex and Sonax wool pad and lamskin pad. I used Flex rotary PE14. I never use woolpad up to speed 3 ~1200 rpm, tilted the pad and applied pressure. It took me 1 hour to mostly remove the scratches and swirls on the up side of the trunk. With the foam pad I used up to 1500rpm.

I believed with that pressure and compound if I applied on any japanese car, the paint would be long gone!

So Is there anything wrong with my combo? Can I go more pressure or just be patient?

Thanks very much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bentley paint question.-image-jpg   Bentley paint question.-image-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bentley paint question.

More pics

Bentley paint question.-image-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have bitten off more than you can chew on this one.use a da if all possible with fg 400 micro cutting pads,clean up with HD speed done.with a rotary if you don't have the skill and knowledge to finish down don't answer the phone for 2 weeks.sorry for the negative input but your technique and timid skill set And overkill of products of choice I can't advise .just finish it up the best of wat you have and seek more training Gd luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch GSKR
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

Better get a paint gauge before going any further..wool pad and a rotary in the wrong hands may amount to a paint job.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Bentley is considered "soft" paint. It is very easily correctable. I used my Flex 3401 with Menzerna FG400 and then followed up with Menzerna SF4500. I used a sealant topped with a wax. The car was very easy to correct the swirls and scratches.

My point being is that you may be going "too hard" on the paint. I would suggest taking a look at your plan and re-think it. I am not familiar with wool pads as I have great success with the foam pads and see no reason to go to wool pads.

Here is a Bentley that I worked on about a year to 1 1/2 years ago. It is white so you really can't see the swirls and scratches, however I put the best pictures I could find. Here are before and afters.

I hope this helps you. When you are finished show pics please.

I have been trying to upload pics, however, I am having difficulty. I will try to figure it out and post.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    IMO Bentley is considered "soft" paint. It is very easily correctable. I used my Flex 3401 with Menzerna FG400 and then followed up with Menzerna SF4500. I used a sealant topped with a wax. The car was very easy to correct the swirls and scratches.

My point being is that you may be going "too hard" on the paint. I would suggest taking a look at your plan and re-think it. I am not familiar with wool pads as I have great success with the foam pads and see no reason to go to wool pads.

Here is a Bentley that I worked on about a year to 1 1/2 years ago. It is white so you really can't see the swirls and scratches, however I put the best pictures I could find. Here are before and afters.

I hope this helps you. When you are finished show pics please.

I have been trying to upload pics, however, I am having difficulty. I will try to figure it out and post.
    Sounds like the op's Bentley may have a harder clear than the Bentley you corrected. As you know not all makes have the same paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Sounds like the op's Bentley may have a harder clear than the Bentley you corrected. As you know not all makes have the same paint.
    You are so correct. That could be case. As for downloading pics....I give up!! With the new forum upgrade I must be missing something in terms of uploading...oh well. I do know in a couple of older posts I did post the Bentley pics....But to the OP good luck and kick azz.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a paint gauge? If not I hope you have good insurance! I have never in 17 years had to be that aggressive with any Bentley. Finish what you started with Meguiars da system and then either get some formal training or read Mikes books. Sorry for the honesty but if it keeps you from buying a paint job it's good

Post Thanks / Like

Warning bells and whistles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast