autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry GM black paint, smudging, ideas ?

So I've owned black cars for 20 years and helped my farther with his once I was old enough to,
    I've worked at two detail businesses in high school and did dealer detail as side job in collage.

Fast forward to 2010. Picked up new black Denali. Pick any brand of wax any brand of towel. Car freaking spotless. Pull out side and it has smudge marks. I finally gave up on keeping waxed.

Fast forward to 2016, New Denali, new impala both black

wash & dry. It Looks "good" for stock dealer work.

So I go to wax them. I've tried all the usual brands + Zano + chemical guys, changed towel, bought new towels etc. pretty much everything under the sun.

My problem is this ( pick any brand of wax, Polish or quick detailer)
    light coat or heave coat, any type of aplicator, any type of towel even toss in orbital buffer with any pad

end result is beautiful in the shade and smear / smudge marks in the sun. At first I thought it was just something wrong with the paint on 2010, but the same thing is happening on the 15 and 16.

So my question is how do I get rid of this. I've called customer service and of course there advice is to do a quick detailer spray and it will be fine, well that also does it.

The best way for me to describe it is. Have you ever cleaned sunglasses or reading glasses with tissue that has lotion it in. You get that smudge that just moves with the towel. Both cars do this. i was told it has to do with the type of clear that gm is using which could be true because my 01 truck and 02 suburban do not have this issue and they are both black as well

I know I'm not the only person with this problem, also a wash after a wax or quick detailer, does not help. I've even gone as far as washing the car in dawn to remove the old wax, then used 3M wax / adhesive remover. Then started the process over with new products for any color car to rule out the " black wax" causing it. All end in the same result. Looks like grease or lotion on the paint.

Im to point of trading then in on silver.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GM black paint, smudging, ideas ?

It's not the paint

It's not the products

It's you

I suspect that you did not clay the vehicle prior to wax application

A couple of helpful links below

How To Wax A Car, Car Wax & Paint Sealant Application Techniques, how to apply wax & paint sealant by hand or polisher, how to apply wax

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

Ago is right ,also do you dress your tires first if so,you maybe dragging it all over the area letting your microfiber touching the tires as you wipe off the wax or sealant.spraying wheel wells first with silicone can cause that effect mixing your product of choice into the overspray .may not be a promblem for you but it could be if you are dressing prior to waxing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No tire stuff and i did not clay this time. However in the past I have clayed with the same results.

So you all are suggesting I clay them both then start over.

Any other suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any pictures?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can get some when I get home. It's like I can't get the wax off if that makes sense. Likes its leaving just little behind and when you wipe "the spots you " missed". It moves that smudge to a new spot on the door etc

On the Yukon I was able to keep working to end of the door to get rid of it but on the impala no such luck

Post Thanks / Like

could it just be that the wax is still wet? maybe old wax? did you shake the wax?

Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly what you're describing. I hate to say try starting over with some fresh products but I think it's a reaction with old product still impacting the new ones you're using.

Did you polish the surfaces with anything? Try HDSpeed, Megs Ultimate Polish, Menzerna 3800/4500 or something along those lines. Speed is an AIO but the others will need a top coat.

I had a similar situation with my Audi when I very first got it and had just sealed it with some Menzena Powerlock after my very first wash just to get me by until I could really polish it up. It was frustrating, but once I polished it and got the surface truly free of any contaminants all has been fine since.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)