autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CanCoat Maintenance Product Cure vs Wetcoat

Hey everyone

At the start of the month i polished and applied CanCoat to my vehicle after the first wash hydrophobics were crazy good! After drying i applied Cure on top. Today after washing with Bathe and rinsing i noticed the hydrophobic properties are not quite what they were with bare CanCoat on its own, i noticed more water sheeting than beading, which i know is not a bad thing but it definitely isn't as crazy good as bare CanCoat. Is this expected? Looking at the Gyeon product line it looks like Wetcoat may be a better maintenance topper for CanCoat if i want the same crazy beading?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CanCoat Maintenance Product Cure vs Wetcoat

I would say no topper will bead as good as the coating underneath it and for that reason I avoid using them. Both Cure and Wetcoat are recommended, one is the more durable but a little more work to apply, the other is supper easy to apply and lasts less time. I think you'll be fine with either but I also have a feeling you won't see that fresh coating beading with either of them, so perhaps don't apply the topper very often. Another thing toppers do is they reduce the self cleaning ability of coatings.

Pollen also builds up on coatings and can mask the hydrophobic behavior, to a point one may think the coating is gone. So if you had a lot of pollen on your car, after a couple of washes the beading should come back.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes glen e, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick with cure. It works well regardless if it doesn't bead as tightly as CanCoat. It is not that durable anyway. You will have less issue with Cure as those who use WEt Coat use too much and then streaking occurs which is painful to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Cure and didn't notice it having any real effect on the water behavior of CanCoat; beading and sheeting were still excellent after it was applied. My only advice would be to dilute it 1:1 to make it a little easier to apply.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes The Guz, robwoodgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Stick with cure. It is not that durable anyway.
    If in your opinion Cure is not that durable would you use it as a topper, and if so why? Or would you just not apply a topper?

The way I see it is if I apply cancoat on my vehicle then I am looking first to maintain the durability of the cancoat at a better price point than the cancoat, and if that really isn't possible then I am looking at a couple of other things:

1. Gyeon states that Cure can help prevent/eliminate water spots which in south louisiana I have an issue with.
    2. Gyeon states that Cure can be used as a quick detailer.

So, with cancoat being reasonably priced and very easy to apply, I am likely to choose this as a potential coating. Now I need to be able to reduce the water spotting and for this I am going to look at Cure for this and if I can use Cure as a QD then that is an added bonus.

I may even throw gyeon quick detailer in the mix as a weekly wash drying aid and the Cure as a monthly maintenance topper. What are your thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like

I’d use the cure monthly. Instead of cutting it 1:1 use as drying aid. This will dilute it and make it easier to apply. Your plan is sound with Gyeon CQD as a drying aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    If in your opinion Cure is not that durable would you use it as a topper, and if so why? Or would you just not apply a topper?

The way I see it is if I apply cancoat on my vehicle then I am looking first to maintain the durability of the cancoat at a better price point than the cancoat, and if that really isn't possible then I am looking at a couple of other things:

1. Gyeon states that Cure can help prevent/eliminate water spots which in south louisiana I have an issue with.
    2. Gyeon states that Cure can be used as a quick detailer.

So, with cancoat being reasonably priced and very easy to apply, I am likely to choose this as a potential coating. Now I need to be able to reduce the water spotting and for this I am going to look at Cure for this and if I can use Cure as a QD then that is an added bonus.

I may even throw gyeon quick detailer in the mix as a weekly wash drying aid and the Cure as a monthly maintenance topper. What are your thoughts on this?
    Cure has no cleaning ability but it can be used as a drying aid. Gyeon has a new ceramic detailer as well which will leave protection and may be all that you need. I have not used it.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience, I wouldn't use CanCoat as a QD. I like my QD's to be a simple spray on/wipe off product to get rid of random smudges, bird bombs, or water spots after a wash. Like Guz mentioned, it doesn't have any cleaning ability and it isn't as easy to use as other QD sprays. Even diluted 1:1 I had to be careful not to get any streaking. At full strength it was even more of a challenge.

Is Cure a good topper to use monthly to boost CanCoat? Yes! I noticed it really improved the gloss of CanCoat, which I thought looked pretty good already. Did it extend the life of the CanCoat? Maybe. I got 12 months out of it and that might have been due to frequent applications of Cure...or maybe not. CanCoat is a great product all by itself.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Gyeon has a new ceramic detailer as well which will leave protection and may be all that you need. I have not used it.
    I'm definitely interested in the Gyeon CD but I find its availability very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    From my experience, I wouldn't use CanCoat as a QD. I like my QD's to be a simple spray on/wipe off product to get rid of random smudges, bird bombs, or water spots after a wash. Like Guz mentioned, it doesn't have any cleaning ability and it isn't as easy to use as other QD sprays. Even diluted 1:1 I had to be careful not to get any streaking. At full strength it was even more of a challenge.

Is Cure a good topper to use monthly to boost CanCoat? Yes! I noticed it really improved the gloss of CanCoat, which I thought looked pretty good already. Did it extend the life of the CanCoat? Maybe. I got 12 months out of it and that might have been due to frequent applications of Cure...or maybe not. CanCoat is a great product all by itself.
    I applied 2 coats of CanCoat to one of my vehicles ('14 Black Acura MDX) and am in the process of applying 2 coats of Trim and have liked very much the two products. The MDX has a lot of black trim and it continues to rain on and off so I have the car garaged for the moment with the wife driving the Camry and have only the front cap and interior trim to finish. With regard to the Trim, I just found most Trim dressings last at most a couple of weeks and less time if it rains which is why I am trying the Trim.

So far both products have been a delight to apply but believe the Trim gets soaked up in to the trim pretty quick. The instructions state apply a "thick even layer" and I've used 3/4'ths of the bottle so far, but I have applied it running boards, luggage rack cross bars, rocker panel trim, wheel well trim guards, all of my window rubber gaskets, there is even a plastic trim piece on the inside of each of the luggage racks, etc...a lot of trim .

I also have some TW Ceramic Wet Wax that I am trying to find a use for and was going to use it as my QD but would rather try the Gyeon detailer products instead on this car.

Lastly, I will be applying another coating combo on another of my vehicles that Budget recommended but I'm just not so sure if CanCoat is not my new UFF just at a higher cost...btw I really did like UFF and my wallet appreciated it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

When I think QD, I think of a product that is pretty easy to use.

I love CanCoat and I'm really glad I used it as the LSP on my bike. It is a beautiful slick finish, especially over a properly corrected surface. I am not throwing shade at the product at all and wouldn't discourage someone from trying it, but when I think of how I had to use CanCoat properly, and how I've used any detailer I've ever used, the difference in application is very different.

CanCoat needs to go on quick, and it needs to come off nearly as quickly. If not, it can start to get grabby or flash.

I made a mistake applying the product when putting it on my bike. I'd done a practice run on my truck, but the panels were very flat and easy to segment and apply a uniform coat on the surface. The curvy rear fender of my bike needed a little different strategy. After I finished, i took an inspection light to the fender and found a fairly cloudy blotch. When lightly running a MF cloth over the fender, it felt slick and slippery, and looked great, except for that spot which was slightly cloudy and a bit of a grabby feeling. My next step was a mistake. I tried to buff out the cloudy part with a bit of elbow grease and a MF towel. Rookie mistake. Took the light to it and saw that my effort had reintroduced swirling to an already corrected panel....nothing crazy, but enough where I could see that I'd marred the surface with the MF cloth in my attempt to 'fix' CanCoat.

I did a quick spot correction on the swirling, gave a little more attention to a couple of other areas while I was at it, and then did a full polish with Wolfgang's Finishing Glaze to make sure all of the CanCoat was removed.

With the second shot, I did it right and then used it as a strategy for the rest of the bike. Bottom line, ya gotta work quick with CanCoat.

All of this to make the point.....way different than a QD. Really great product thought. I'm a huge fan of CanCoat.

BTW, I've been using ECH2O to maintain it. 1:10 dilution. Does a great job of cleaning it up and adding a bit to the gloss. For a bigger vehicle, I might dilute it a bit more, but with the smaller surface area to cover on the bike, the stronger mix works for both cleaning it up and as a QD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast