autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Gyeon Syncro

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Syncro

Hello, I am thinking of having a ceramic coating for my new 3-month vehicle(ice metallic grey). I do not have equipment or place to apply myself. After speaking to the Gyeon certified application center, I was thinking about Gyeon Syncro, they told me that with good care and periodic maintenance it can last for 3 years.However, the comments on the forum say it can barely last 12 months.They said, they will apply 2 layers of Mohs 1 layers of Skin and for just show Cancoat Pro.I am new at this detailing so I'm curious about your experiences and opinions.

1. Can the Gyeon Syncro last for 2 years or more?

2. Is there any product you recommend other than Syncro?

3. After 2 layer Mohs and 1 layer Skin Is it possible to apply 1 layer cancoat pro?

extra information for durability: in here almost never snow , but mostly rainy in winter and fall , and really hot in summer ,also we have sea (high humidity)

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon Syncro

Some like long lasting coatings and others prefer being able to address issues more often. I had purchased the Blackfire Pro ceramic coating and then gave it away as I decided I wanted to be able to polish my car at least once a year (if needed) so I wanted something easier than a coating and I didn’t care if it didn’t last as long. So I went with a primer polish after compounding my car to remove scratches and swirl marks. Then I applied CanCoat and so far the water is beading amazingly well and dirt isn’t adhering to the surface as readily. I’ll use Cure periodically to boost the coating and then in the spring I’ll clean well, polish if necessary, and add another coat of CanCoat. While CanCoat has been known to last up to and sometimes over a year, I’ll be touching my car twice a year partially because I enjoy it and partially because I want to be able to address any issues with my paint if something happens. With a coating, there’s not much you can do to the paint if you want to have the coating last a full 2 years.

There is the idea floated here to find processes and products you like and use them regularly, which is exactly what I decided to do for my car.

EDIT: Here is an article by Mike Phillips with his thoughts on multi-year coatings.
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

EDIT2: This seems applicable if you decide to go with a shorter term product though I haven’t used it.
    Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating

3. Thanks matah24 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matah24 View Post
    Hello, I am thinking of having a ceramic coating for my new 3-month vehicle(ice metallic grey). I do not have equipment or place to apply myself. After speaking to the Gyeon certified application center, I was thinking about Gyeon Syncro, they told me that with good care and periodic maintenance it can last for 3 years.However, the comments on the forum say it can barely last 12 months.They said, they will apply 2 layers of Mohs 1 layers of Skin and for just show Cancoat Pro.I am new at this detailing so I'm curious about your experiences and opinions.
    The concept of Gyeon Syncro is sounds great. What I mean is that Mohs by itself is not the most hydrophobic coating but not everyone is looking for that. The selling point of syncro is Skin. One of the most impressive top coats that offers impressive slickness and some of the most amazing water behavior. The issue I have with syncro from using it is that skin starts to fade around the 6 month mark. It is such a shame because it is so good.

1. Can the Gyeon Syncro last for 2 years or more?
    As I mentioned up above Skin will be the first to go. Then you will have Mohs as the base. Topping things with cure will help but like most coating toppers you will see the performance of the topper rather than

2. Is there any product you recommend other than Syncro?
    I would take cquartz UK 3.0 over syncro any day of the week. I would even take Gtechniq CSL topped with Exo over syncro. These are both consumer grade coatings so keep that in mind.

3. After 2 layer Mohs and 1 layer Skin Is it possible to apply 1 layer cancoat pro?
    You would be hiding the beauty of Skin which blows CanCoat out of the water in terms of slickness, water behavior, self cleaning and even gloss. And it is overkill to have that many layers as there is a point of diminishing returns.

I am in Southern California and got 1 year out of the coating. But this is my experience and perhaps yours will be different. In the end for me it was not worth the price given the performance I saw. Gyeon needs to reformulate skin to last longer in my opinion.

2015 Impala with Gyeon Syncro (MOHS + Skin)

5. Thanks matah24 thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, BudgetPlan1, BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Being on the shore, with lots of rain and sun to bake water on your car, and no garage, a ceramic coating might not be the best way to go if you want to avoid water spots.

Syncro was great when I had it, I had it on the car for 18 months and while it wasn't as insane as the fresh coating, it was still working pretty good. If you choose to go that route, don't put CanCoat over it, wait until you notice the behavior os Skin wearing off, then have them clean the car well and top with CanCoat.

I switched over to UK 3.0 and Gliss V2 on my car. Not because I didn't like Syncro but because the CarPro coating is also excellent and cheaper.
    Bruno Soares

7. Thanks matah24 thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Some like long lasting coatings and others prefer being able to address issues more often. I had purchased the Blackfire Pro ceramic coating and then gave it away as I decided I wanted to be able to polish my car at least once a year (if needed) so I wanted something easier than a coating and I didn’t care if it didn’t last as long. So I went with a primer polish after compounding my car to remove scratches and swirl marks. Then I applied CanCoat and so far the water is beading amazingly well and dirt isn’t adhering to the surface as readily. I’ll use Cure periodically to boost the coating and then in the spring I’ll clean well, polish if necessary, and add another coat of CanCoat. While CanCoat has been known to last up to and sometimes over a year, I’ll be touching my car twice a year partially because I enjoy it and partially because I want to be able to address any issues with my paint if something happens. With a coating, there’s not much you can do to the paint if you want to have the coating last a full 2 years.

There is the idea floated here to find processes and products you like and use them regularly, which is exactly what I decided to do for my car.

EDIT: Here is an article by Mike Phillips with his thoughts on multi-year coatings.
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

EDIT2: This seems applicable if you decide to go with a shorter term product though I haven’t used it.
    Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating
    Thank you very much for response , actually you are right because even in simply cars can get scratch and more more than 2 years not be good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The concept of Gyeon Syncro is sounds great. What I mean is that Mohs by itself is not the most hydrophobic coating but not everyone is looking for that. The selling point of syncro is Skin. One of the most impressive top coats that offers impressive slickness and some of the most amazing water behavior. The issue I have with syncro from using it is that skin starts to fade around the 6 month mark. It is such a shame because it is so good.

As I mentioned up above Skin will be the first to go. Then you will have Mohs as the base. Topping things with cure will help but like most coating toppers you will see the performance of the topper rather than

I would take cquartz UK 3.0 over syncro any day of the week. I would even take Gtechniq CSL topped with Exo over syncro. These are both consumer grade coatings so keep that in mind.

You would be hiding the beauty of Skin which blows CanCoat out of the water in terms of slickness, water behavior, self cleaning and even gloss. And it is overkill to have that many layers as there is a point of diminishing returns.

I am in Southern California and got 1 year out of the coating. But this is my experience and perhaps yours will be different. In the end for me it was not worth the price given the performance I saw. Gyeon needs to reformulate skin to last longer in my opinion.

2015 Impala with Gyeon Syncro (MOHS + Skin)
    Thank you very much for response, actually Cancoat didn't my idea , I am thinking same like you , but because of the Gyeon application center said I just wanted to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Being on the shore, with lots of rain and sun to bake water on your car, and no garage, a ceramic coating might not be the best way to go if you want to avoid water spots.

Syncro was great when I had it, I had it on the car for 18 months and while it wasn't as insane as the fresh coating, it was still working pretty good. If you choose to go that route, don't put CanCoat over it, wait until you notice the behavior os Skin wearing off, then have them clean the car well and top with CanCoat.

I switched over to UK 3.0 and Gliss V2 on my car. Not because I didn't like Syncro but because the CarPro coating is also excellent and cheaper.
    Thank you very much for response, I have garage but its apartment garage and cant do any wet application.Also because of the not having some equipment I want to go some detailer , problem is finding any trusted carpro application center really hard in here, most of them uses 1 bottle for 2 cars at least.They said we only use gliss when cquartz 3.0 weak like 3-6 months later.The reason I keep asking the Gyeon brand is they are certified application center.

1. Do you suggest Gyeon one /pure or any other for at least 1 year?

2. Should I turn to a different brand because of my expectation of lasting at least 1 year from the Gyeon brand? because gyeon products are not cheap if its not even last for 1 year paying them is useless.

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for response, I have garage but its apartment garage and cant do any wet application.Also because of the not having some equipment I want to go some detailer , problem is finding any trusted carpro application center really hard in here, most of them uses 1 bottle for 2 cars at least.They said we only use gliss when cquartz 3.0 weak like 3-6 months later.The reason I keep asking the Gyeon brand is they are certified application center.

2. Should I turn to a different brand because of my expectation of lasting at least 1 year from the Gyeon brand? because gyeon products are not cheap if its not even last for 1 year paying them is useless.

thanks in advance
    I think any of the Gyeon or CarPro coatings will easily last over a year if that's your goal. Maybe even just CanCoat Pro that he offered will get you there and that's easier to install than Syncro so should be cheaper. All of options listed above will give you more than a year of protection.
    Bruno Soares

10. Thanks matah24 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any other goal can be? Don't get me wrong,I am asking just because of my lack of knowledge.My goal is protect my car paint at least one year (preferably more than 1 year).After 1 year or more I will renew again.Of course I want beading and sheeting , shininess but I guess these are already comes with all ceramic coating types. Thats why I focused longetivity.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from this carpro installer if they is telling you this. Gliss can be applied over the initial cquartz coating after 4 hours.

thanks in advance
    I have not used one or pure. I gave my unused bottle of pure away as a giveaway on Autopia. I heard pure is pretty durable. Both will probably get you what you are looking for.

The popular brands are CarPro, Gyeon and Gtechniq. They have been in the ceramic coating business for a long time now. It depends on what you are looking for. Research each brand would be my advice. Perhaps a local autogeek member can help you out as well in coating your car.

13. Thanks matah24 thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave Gyeon One a go when it first came out, February 2018 ( I believe it was released at 2017 SEMA in November of that year). I don't know if they re-formulated it a bit since then but it was kinda a sticky coating to work with, at one point Gyeon came out w a 'special' application method that involved a big glob of coating at top of applicator cloth and some other things; can't seem to find it anymore.

These were my thoughts at the time:

Gyeon One
    The results were nice, but application was the stickiest once it hit the paint that I’ve ever used. Forgiving with respect to the amount of time you have to buff off missed high spots but very arduous removing/buffing. This was topped with CanCoat soon after application, it’s performing quite well. Maintenance on this car is weekly washes…using Dawn or Joy dish soap to wash. I can’t control what happens after the cars leave me. Holding up nicely regardless but after about 18 months, it was done. Used Gyeon Primer under it and CanCoat on top.

I had a Pure kit as well but gave mine away too :lol:

Mohs + CanCoat is a nice combo that you can refresh periodically with CanCoat and, as mentioned by others, Syncro was crazy good but fell off after about 6 months for me.

15. Thanks matah24 thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post