autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gyeon Q2 Primer

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon Q2 Primer

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    3D one leaves a nice finish. It is not only pad dependent but paint dependent. I say to skip the primer to save time. If you already have perfect finish then use that. It leaves a great finish.
    I see.

In your tests have you found si02 primers increased the performance of the LSP?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Hi folks, i've been looking around for some gyeon primer experiences/guides and i can't seem to find many.

I'm a machine polishing newbie. Maybe 15 hours.

I'm using a griots G15.

What type of pad do you use? speed setting?

First step is with 3D one with a griots orange pad on a white nissan. 3-4 passes and small sections.

I'm not chasing perfection. Just a basic cookie cutter approach that i will adjust accordingly has i go.

My LSP will be cosmic V2.
    Welcome to the obsession! I'm Not familiar with the G15 as a machine but with the PRIMER product I use it with a light to medium polishing pad. Yellow Rupes or Green to Orange Lake Country pad. Really depends on how bad the finish is and the type of paint, harder or softer. When correcting use the highest speed. It's on really soft paint that you might need to slow it down if in the rare case you see any micro marring.

If you have already used 3D One and corrected the finish to where you're happy then you really won't need much beyond a light polishing pad and a few passes to remove any haze you may have.

I will add however, 3D One can and will finish out nicely with the same light pad. It's a product that stems from their previous products that finish out more based on the type of pad you're using. Used with a light polishing pad, you will finish out nice.....again, YMMV if it's a really soft paint.

I note this as PRIMER is also often used as a finishing or refining polish, but it's main plus is that it lays down a base-coat for other GYEON products. If you're using their brand ceramic coating it really helps. However, since you're using Cosmic V2 then you might be better using 3D One. I'm just not sure of the compatibility of PRIMER and Cosmic.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Welcome to the obsession! I'm Not familiar with the G15 as a machine but with the PRIMER product I use it with a light to medium polishing pad. Yellow Rupes or Green to Orange Lake Country pad. Really depends on how bad the finish is and the type of paint, harder or softer. When correcting use the highest speed. It's on really soft paint that you might need to slow it down if in the rare case you see any micro marring.

If you have already used 3D One and corrected the finish to where you're happy then you really won't need much beyond a light polishing pad and a few passes to remove any haze you may have.

I will add however, 3D One can and will finish out nicely with the same light pad. It's a product that stems from their previous products that finish out more based on the type of pad you're using. Used with a light polishing pad, you will finish out nice.....again, YMMV if it's a really soft paint.

I note this as PRIMER is also often used as a finishing or refining polish, but it's main plus is that it lays down a base-coat for other GYEON products. If you're using their brand ceramic coating it really helps. However, since you're using Cosmic V2 then you might be better using 3D One. I'm just not sure of the compatibility of PRIMER and Cosmic.
    Thanks

Yeah its my new obsession thats for sure. Expensive too!

Maybe i will just do a few tests on the side panels.

I will be inspecting the paint a lot more this time around.

Gyeon does state it works with "any quartz coating".

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Good to know 3D one finishes down nicely i was starting to regret the purchase lol especially when i learn that it didn't have diminishing abrasives - not that i'm an expert just sounds good! - but if it works i don't care what it is.

Starting to really like this forum. I wasn't sure of the rules at first. For some reason i can't join autopia i tried numerous times. Maybe because i'm in canada..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I see.

In your tests have you found si02 primers increased the performance of the LSP?
    All I know is Q2 Primer works great paired with Gyeon Cancoat and CarPro Essence works great paired with CarPro coatings.

You will find 3D One will be all you need in most cases. I am trying to save you time so you don't have to work so hard with minimal gains. Your test spot will tell you all you need to know.

5. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, JustJesus liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    All I know is Q2 Primer works great paired with Gyeon Cancoat and CarPro Essence works great paired with CarPro coatings.

You will find 3D One will be all you need in most cases. I am trying to save you time so you don't have to work so hard with minimal gains. Your test spot will tell you all you need to know.
    Thats mighty kind of you.

I actually have a lot of free time coming up. So its not an issue.

That said i don't want to waste my time with minimal gains. I will keep it in mind when i do my test spot.

Thanks.

3D one sure is popular. Since i'm in canada i buy from a canadian retailer. I was waiting about 6 or more weeks for 3D one to be back in stock. In about 2 weeks since it was back in stock its all gone again!

I'll be breaking out the polisher in less then a week!!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update. After about 4mths and a wash the gyeon primer, cosmic V2 w/high gloss is holding up. Not crazy water behaviour though - i did top with rapidwaxx this time. It certainty did'nt help the durability from my experience with another car. However, the second car is being maintained much more, its mine.

I have my doubts in my conditions i will get 12mths from cosmic V2 but its still doing very well after 5mths with a few toppers on my personal car, no primer. But winter is approaching....

Note: My car is outside 24/7 but isn't driven daily.

2nd note: My car has 2 coats of V2 and my fathers car has only 1 coat has well.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

New update: The car looks fantastic with a top up - its raining again! Primer is interesting, its a very nice finishing polish, easy wipe off and work time. Primer never reduced the durability i really don't believe. But it really made a white car glow! lol

9. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Come fall I want to re-polish and apply CC Evo. Is there a one step compound/polish I could use that would eliminate swirls that I could use to avoid using a compound and polish? Do you have to use Primer before applying CC?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Come fall I want to re-polish and apply CC Evo. Is there a one step compound/polish I could use that would eliminate swirls that I could use to avoid using a compound and polish? Do you have to use Primer before applying CC?
    Just use GYEON Primer. It removes swirls and acts as a good one-step. Doubtful you'll need to compound unless it's trashed. Primer makes application of their coatings easier too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

12. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    No, you don't have to use primer. It's a super light polish for correction.

It's funny seeing my older posts lol I would recommend sonax perfect finish on a lake country orange SDO or HDO pad and gyeon panel prep, then cancoat.

14. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast