autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This is why I'm a fan of CanCoat

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    PRIMER still offers an initial layer of SiO2 for the top layer of coating to bond to vs standard polishes which do not. The difference can be felt when removing the coating on surfaces prepped side by side. I always use a panel wipe also. Even if I apply ceramic the next day. More important then really given dust that will settle on the vehicle overnight. You don't however have to wait 24hrs. Use primer, buff off and then panel wipe once completed and then coat.
    So your saying PRIMER, even when wiped with a panel prep, still leaves an sio2 layer on the surface for better bonding of the coating? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Gyeon specifically says (or has said in videos) that in order to coat after PRIMER you must/should panel prep. And I guess what I'm saying is that there is no advantage for someone to use PRIMER over another polish IF in both cases you'll need to panel wipe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    So your saying PRIMER, even when wiped with a panel prep, still leaves an sio2 layer on the surface for better bonding of the coating? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Gyeon specifically says (or has said in videos) that in order to coat after PRIMER you must/should panel prep. And I guess what I'm saying is that there is no advantage for someone to use PRIMER over another polish IF in both cases you'll need to panel wipe.
    Panel Wipe isn't going to remove the SiO2 layer laid down by PRIMER or even CarPro Essence. Both products need wiped down prior to a coating being applied if within 24hrs as the carrier solvents and oils present to distribute the product will remain on the surface until they evaporate. Thus the advantage is in fact that the initial layer of SiO2 does remain which is the advantage these two products offer. Using them as part of the "system" is noticed. Try one panel with and one without. The wipe-off of the carrier solvents from both a spray on coating like CanCoat and a wipe on one like CarPro SiC are noticeably easier than without their corresponding polishes.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

3. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The panel wipe is to ensure the bond will be good but the SiO2 is left behind. That's why they tell you not to wipe within a few hours of applying, at that point I think it would all be removed. These primer polishes are ideal if you leave them cure overnight and in the morning just do a panel wipe to remove dust and anything that could hinder the bonding of the coating. I haven't used Gyeon Primer but have used CarPro Essence many times and it's awesome, I love that for every coating job.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Panel Wipe isn't going to remove the SiO2 layer laid down by PRIMER or even CarPro Essence. Both products need wiped down prior to a coating being applied if within 24hrs as the carrier solvents and oils present to distribute the product will remain on the surface until they evaporate. Thus the advantage is in fact that the initial layer of SiO2 does remain which is the advantage these two products offer. Using them as part of the "system" is noticed. Try one panel with and one without. The wipe-off of the carrier solvents from both a spray on coating like CanCoat and a wipe on one like CarPro SiC are noticeably easier than without their corresponding polishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    The panel wipe is to ensure the bond will be good but the SiO2 is left behind. That's why they tell you not to wipe within a few hours of applying, at that point I think it would all be removed. These primer polishes are ideal if you leave them cure overnight and in the morning just do a panel wipe to remove dust and anything that could hinder the bonding of the coating.
    Thank you both for the info. I did not know that sio2 was still left behind from PRIMER after a panel wipe. Jeff@GYEON says HERE that waiting at least 15 minutes before a panel wipe is recommended to allow the sio2 to bond.

I've had a bottle of PRIMER for a while now just never tried it. Now I just might have to give it a go.

6. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why I'm a fan of CanCoat

I used Primer but only waited about 15-30 mins max before panel wipe. Ideally I wanted to give it more time but it just wasn't doable.

Do you need to polish every time you apply Can Coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff. As stated both Gyeon and CarPro still recommend a panel wipe with their primer polishes to remove any potential polish residue. Remember these still use liquid to deliver the abrasives on the surface. Not necessarily polishing oils.

The reason for a panel wipe is that some may not break down the polishes enough during the polishing cycle. Especially if using them by hand.

And no the panel wipe will not remove the silica left behind.

The primer polishes that don’t require a panel wipe are those from Dr. Beasley’s. They can be coated over which saves time.

9. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes evo77, TTQ B4U, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Per Mike G's recommendation, I used Cancoat Evo for the first time on my wife's 2014 Honda Accord. I was very impressed with the results. The car looks amazing - super glossy. Here is a pic right after I applied the Cancoat Evo. Not bad for an 8 year old car that is parked outside 24/7:

This is why I'm a fan of CanCoat-img_4035-jpg-resize-jpg

11. Likes Jayfro, The Guz, Desertnate, CleanIT, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shine coutesy of Gyeon Can Coat Evo! Is it really that easy!!!!!!?????I give with this forums pic upload system. It sucks
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

13. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Thanks for the update. CanCoat is a great product. You getting a year does not surprise me. I have seen as long as 15 months with little maintenance with Cure sporadically.

Gyeon Primer paired with CanCoat is a good combo as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Picture taken at a very rainy autocross a couple weeks ago.

I applied CanCoat to my car back in October 2019. Even on a slightly dusty car the beading and sheeting are excellent. The beads are little bigger now, but still far from giving up.

The only thing I've done to the car is keep it clean and topped with Cure every month or so.

I really think it will last until this Fall when it will be time to polish off what is left and try something else. That will be around 12 months and double the advertised durability.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Is that your car or are you just posting an anonymous video?
    Did I miss out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Thanks for the update. CanCoat is a great product. You getting a year does not surprise me. I have seen as long as 15 months with little maintenance with Cure sporadically.

Gyeon Primer paired with CanCoat is a good combo as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Picture taken at a very rainy autocross a couple weeks ago.

I applied CanCoat to my car back in October 2019. Even on a slightly dusty car the beading and sheeting are excellent. The beads are little bigger now, but still far from giving up.

The only thing I've done to the car is keep it clean and topped with Cure every month or so.

I really think it will last until this Fall when it will be time to polish off what is left and try something else. That will be around 12 months and double the advertised durability.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Is Essence worth the extra step and $?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast