autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Spotting frustration

First, I love the way my black CTS-V looks after polishing and coating with Gyeon. However, I am growing increasingly frustrated with the spotting after being in the rain. Is this just how it is with coatings or is there a way to prevent this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spotting frustration

Use a SiO2 spray product to cut down on spotting. Gyeon sells Cure but it is thick and is a pain to wipe off. Some people dilute it 1:1 with distilled water to help. IGL Ecocoat Premier is a great choice. It’s a little pricey but lasts much longer than most in this category.

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh....I just bought Gyeon Syncro for my black LS460. Is spotting more of a problem with all coatings, or is it more Gyeon specific? I have no problem returning the Syncro if there are better products available.

4. Likes CM's R/T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redzone1 View Post
    Ugh....I just bought Gyeon Syncro for my black LS460. Is spotting more of a problem with all coatings, or is it more Gyeon specific? I have no problem returning the Syncro if there are better products available.
    The potential for water spotting is not GYEON specific. I would definitely recommend going over the necessary maintenance for all coated vehicles. Water spotting is more of an issue within the first week of installation, as it is with all coatings, as they are not fully cured. This is where Q2M Cure helps by providing a protective layer for the coating during the first week. Coatings are not impervious to water spotting. If contaminant is left on the surface for long periods of time it can certainly bond and possibly etch. There are specific water spot removers for this scenario.

6. Thanks redzone1 thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff at Gyeon View Post
    The potential for water spotting is not GYEON specific. I would definitely recommend going over the necessary maintenance for all coated vehicles. Water spotting is more of an issue within the first week of installation, as it is with all coatings, as they are not fully cured. This is where Q2M Cure helps by providing a protective layer for the coating during the first week. Coatings are not impervious to water spotting. If contaminant is left on the surface for long periods of time it can certainly bond and possibly etch. There are specific water spot removers for this scenario.
    Awesome! Thanks a lot for a quick reply. It was your video that pushed me towards Gyeon Syncro with it's ease of application.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thanks a lot for a quick reply. It was your video that pushed me towards Gyeon Syncro with it's ease of application.
    Sweet! You will love SYNCRO. The SKIN top coat is fantastic. Glad to answer any questions!

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt you'll see any spotting unless the fallout / environment is very different than here. Both my vehicles have been running GYEON and skin on both of ours with no issues. Key however is to keep them fresh with something like CURE.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like more frequent applications of cure and prompt use of Gyeon spot followed by wetcoat is the best option. Summers rains followed by Georgia sunshine don’t make it any easier on black paint.

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to rain or heavy dew drying on coated cars, I've noticed the spotting being any worse than a sealant. I simply wash the vehicle, or if it's clean enough give it a wipe down with a waterless wash. In fact, depending on the rain and how long the car has sat, the sheeting action of the coatings is actually less than some sealants. Regardless of LSP, if the car is dusty and or there is dust in the air before/after the vehicle getting wet, there will spotting.

The one instance which got me was sprinklers. I found those spots VERY hard to remove and I learned my lesson about where to park our cars.

I'm surprised when I hear the comments about Cure. I've heard them before and was apprehensive when I picked some up, but when spraying into a MF towel and then wiping down a vehicle, I've not experienced any application issues. It's pretty easy.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog