autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newly CanCoated car - door scratched - what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Having used both the McKee's and the CanCoat on several of my personal vehicles I agree. I found McKee's to look and behave no different than most good sealants...only it lasts 4x longer. I agree to the comments above. CanCoat looks far better and the hydrophobic properties are far suprior to M37. I'm looking at going back to coatings when my CanCoat runs out. When it does, I'll skip the McKee's and go straight to CarPro or similar.

Another point regarding the pricing of CanCoat. For the price of a can of CanCoat, I think it will go much farther than a bottle of McKee's. With McKee's, I was able to coat two small cars and a mid-sized SUV with enough left over to possibly coat one more small car. With CanCoat, I've coated the same mid-size SUV and one of the same two small car twice with plenty left over to do the same many times over.

Something else to consider: After opening the bottle of McKee's coating it will start to degrade. I noticed when using the McKee's six months after my first use, it didn't spread as easily and flashed faster. Nine months later the McKee's was harder yet to apply. At the one year point, the coating was very difficult to apply and I tossed the bottle. I've also noticed that application at the one year point has not heald up very well either. CanCoat on the other hand at the six month point was just as easy to apply as it was the first day I opened it. I don't forsee having to waste any product because it's no longer usable and will still get more than enough applications from the can to make it a reasonable option.
    This is the biggest complaint I see in the McKee's facebook group about the coating hardening and becoming difficult to use after the initial use for a DIYer who doesn't coat a lot. CanCoat does not seem to have this issue as mine is fine after 1 year of me using it here and there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    This is the biggest complaint I see in the McKee's facebook group about the coating hardening and becoming difficult to use after the initial use for a DIYer who doesn't coat a lot. CanCoat does not seem to have this issue as mine is fine after 1 year of me using it here and there.
    I solved this by putting my M37 coating into old GYEON / CarPro bottles and simply not using their spray. CanCoat really gums up hard and even cleaning the sprayers is hit or miss. The solution for me is easy as I keep a tub full of old sprayer tops from all kinds of bottles. I must have 50 of all sizes. I also have access to a lot of smaller 1-2oz size sprayers at work so i use them too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

My bottle of M37 Paint Coating 2.0 lasted about 5 months. Did 2 cars with it. At least 50% full still. Now it has the consistency of cottage cheese.

Its relatively cheap to replace, but man I hate that. I didn't realize it had gone bad until just before coating a car. I had to apply EXO v3 instead, as that was what I had on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I solved this by putting my M37 coating into old GYEON / CarPro bottles and simply not using their spray. CanCoat really gums up hard and even cleaning the sprayers is hit or miss. The solution for me is easy as I keep a tub full of old sprayer tops from all kinds of bottles. I must have 50 of all sizes. I also have access to a lot of smaller 1-2oz size sprayers at work so i use them too.
    I haven't had any issues with the CanCoat sprayer clogging. I'm still using the first one I pulled out of the box with the other two included still unused. Before I start application, I put a small bucket with an APC/water mixture ner the car. The instant I'm done, I'll dunk the MF application towel in the bucket and I'll unscrew the sprayer. I'll stick the sprayer tube in the bucket and start pumping the water solution through the head. So far this has kept me from loosing the use of the included spray heads.

I've always wondered if the packaging was the root of the problem with both the McKee's 37 coating and the original BlackFire paint coating. Both have run into problems at some stage of their life with symptoms of air exposure, though at different points in their lifecycle. McKee's is after usage, the Blackfire seemed to have problems from simply sitting on a shelf before use. Had the products been packaged in a metal or glass container with better lids I bet things would have turned out differently. Does the PBL coating have the same problem as McKee's? I think they are packaged in identical sprayers.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I have an original PBL Paint coating bottle that has less than a 1/2 oz left it that has to be close to 4 years old now. It has not hardened or gelled up. The sprayer never failed on me either. I am trying to use it up on tiny things.

Post Thanks / Like

So I ended doing as you guys advised ...

* wash
    * no need clay, still pristine
    * 2 stage correction for scratched areas - I did the whole top quarter of the driver door for the heck of it ...
    * prep wipe-down
    * blended in 2 layers of can-coat
    * cured

Looks like new again and there is no way you can tell it's been re-coated.

Thanks everyone for their help on this .. you all seem to be experts on here

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345