autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newly CanCoated car - door scratched - what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Unfortunately this is not the case. Budget correct me if I am wrong but didn’t you speak to a Gyeon rep and they mentioned that CanCoat has 30% SiO2.
    I had a look earlier ... it's SiO2 content is >10% so I expected some protection .. but clearly didn't get that much.

Again, as you guys have mentioned, it was never advertised to provide scratch resistance ... just the other stuff they advertise like gloss, water repelling, self cleaning etc.

CANCOAT - Gyeon Quartz Australia

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately this is not the case. Budget correct me if I am wrong but didn’t you speak to a Gyeon rep and they mentioned that CanCoat has 30% SiO2.
    yep, despite website specs (which I guess is technically correct) the number mentioned to me 25-30%

You may want to play with the combination of Mohs + CanCoat. Seems like a favorite amongst Gyeon users.

Gyeon Primer Polish definitely does add increased longevity.
    This. While durable, Mohs by itself has rather unentertaining water behavior and is more 'shiny' than glossy; CanCoat on Mohs fixes that right up.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Go with Syncro. 2-3 coats of Mohs then Skin = PERFECTION and a SUPER hydrophobic property. You'll love it. Mohs is super easy to apply too.
    I'm not yet convinced of the durability of the Skin component. About 8 months in, it's starting to fade a bit, hold on to more dirt. Time will tell.

3. Likes The Guz, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I'm not yet convinced of the durability of the Skin component. About 8 months in, it's starting to fade a bit, hold on to more dirt. Time will tell.
    Noticing the same thing with Syncro and I have it at 10 months. Noticed the decrease in self cleaning at about the 6 month mark.

5. Likes BudgetPlan1, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

yep, despite website specs (which I guess is technically correct) the number mentioned to me 25-30%

This. While durable, Mohs by itself has rather unentertaining water behavior and is more 'shiny' than glossy; CanCoat on Mohs fixes that right up.

Noticing the same thing with Syncro and I have it at 10 months. Noticed the decrease in self cleaning at about the 6 month mark.
    My wife's car was done in April and still going strong like Day 1. I'm going to clean it up and apply a 2nd coat in Nov. over the Turkey day Holiday to ensure it's good through winter or at least better.

Otherwise, Mine and hers are both going strong still.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes BudgetPlan1, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife's car was done in April and still going strong like Day 1. I'm going to clean it up and apply a 2nd coat in Nov. over the Turkey day Holiday to ensure it's good through winter or at least better.

To be fair, my test vehicle was a brand new, 2018 Ford Transit (Victory Red) that I applied it to about 13k miles ago and has rec'd no maintenance outside of what Mother Nature and occasional touchless tunnel wash (soap/rinse only) has provided so that's possibly a point worthy of consideration. Some products seem to do better in that kinda condition/scenario than others though.

Coatings and Fleet use is kinda interesting, considering that coatings are currently near the top of the food chain, LSP/protection-wise (and cost-wise). For a fleet vehicle, tiny scratches and marring are inevitable (and to a certain degree, irrelevant) and the main focus is pulling into a driveway with a vehicle that, from 3 to 5 feet away, always looks freshly washed. The ability to maintain this 'kinda clean' finish without having to touch the vehicle for 6 to 8 months is really quite beneficial...and is more than occasionally noticed by clients as well, which is always nice. But, as usual...I digress.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, my test vehicle was a brand new, 2018 Ford Transit (Victory Red) that I applied it to about 13k miles ago and has rec'd no maintenance outside of what Mother Nature and occasional touchless tunnel wash (soap/rinse only) has provided so that's possibly a point worthy of consideration. Some products seem to do better in that kinda condition/scenario than others though.
    So it's a typical customer car and care

My guess is the combination of harsher soaps and residual scum left on it are impacting the hydrophobic properties. I had a customer I used can-coat on come to be about 3 months later stating that he felt the coating was gone after similar care. He's a neighbor so I washed it up quick with some Reset Wash and viola, it come back to full hydrophobic property level and he was pleased.

Worst case, and I may do this....to keep the hydrophobic insanity on hers, I will hit it with Can-coat vs Skin during winter. What I like about Skin is the slickness of it. I do a lot of cars with Mohs so I have a few extra bottles of skin around as I buy the Syncro kits vs products separately.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stylo View Post
    All I am really after is to prevent/minimise swirls/scratches from washing - Now, I speak with from experience with my previous car which was professionally coated with Opticoat +.
    I'm a little out of the loop on these newer coatings, but I think you are expecting too much from an enthusiast coating vs. a professionally applied coating...I know Optimum withdrew their retail product that was most like Opti-Coat Pro, and my understanding was the same for CQuartz and some others that the "best" product was reserved for the authorized installers and that none of the consumer-available products were comparable.

That doesn't mean that the consumer products aren't good and that you won't be able to achieve your goal with them, just that they are a step down from what the coating mfrs. make available to their pro installers.

11. Likes stylo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are the certified professional installed products an improvement over consumer-grade when it comes to marring resistance?

I can see those products being different/better in other characteristics like durability, but I have a hard time believing any coating product would live up to the hardness and "scratch resistance" claims stated by the marketing departments.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Are the certified professional installed products an improvement over consumer-grade when it comes to marring resistance?

I can see those products being different/better in other characteristics like durability, but I have a hard time believing any coating product would live up to the hardness and "scratch resistance" claims stated by the marketing departments.
    I don't know...I do know that Opti-Coat Pro (and the withdrawn Opti-Coat 2.0) are SiC coatings vs. the more usual SiO2, and that Gloss-Coat is an SiO2 or a hybrid of the two. I guess my point is that the OP is hoping for Opti-Coat Pro+ performance out of a DIY product, and I'm not sure that is a valid starting point.

PS Again, I'm not saying the consumer-grade coatings aren't good, it's just that for reasons that have been argued/discussed in other threads, the coating mfrs. reserve their best products for the pro installers.

14. Likes stylo, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Syncro has been on my dad's car that I see weekly and wash weekly/bi-weekly and at this point I am starting to question the performance of it and the price point of it. Sure Skin is slick and fun to watch, but if it starts to lose its water behavior and self cleaning effect so soon then is it really worth it for the price point that Gyeon asks for it. Not to mention the areas that have failed within 8 months. I will also mention that I used Gyeon Primer Polish and let that sit for 24 hours prior to application of Syncro. I had high hopes for Syncro but those are slowly fading. I will capture my thoughts at the one year mark and determine if I want to keep it.

16. Likes BudgetPlan1, VitreousHumor liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast