autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newly CanCoated car - door scratched - what to do.

If you can only see it from certain angles, I sure wouldn't start with FG400, or even the MC2400 (I can't keep up with the numbering changes, I don't even know what that was before), since that's just one step removed from Power Gloss (PG1000).

2. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha ! I will start with the Polish (2400) as opposed to the Cut (400).

Will only use the Cut if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stylo View Post
    Ok cool.

Just had a quick inspection and my few finger rubs has caused a few more scratches !!

Thought CanCoat would give it a bit more protection than that ... it’s been over a week. Should have cured already.

Maybe I didn’t put enough on there ?
    Cancoat is a sealant... it won't protect against scratches. Think of it as Gyeon's version of Reload. It will protect against UV, make the paint harder to get dirty and easier to clean but it won't provide any noticable scratch resistance.

5. Thanks stylo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Cancoat is a sealant... it won't protect against scratches. Think of it as Gyeon's version of Reload. It will protect against UV, make the paint harder to get dirty and easier to clean but it won't provide any noticable scratch resistance.
    Ahhh absolutely ! CanCoat was really just the practice run with using the DA polisher for the first time and applying a SiO2 coating. I will just re-do the car with MOHS in 6-12 months.

Have to say I have been really happy with the self cleaning and gloss of CanCoat but you guys have pointed out the main flaw for me here being the lack of scratch resistance (which incidentally, it isn't advertised to provide).

Post Thanks / Like

I'd call CanCoat more of a coating-lite product as opposed to a Reload-type 'maintenance product' which are now sealants? It's hard to keep up.

In any event, even Mohs isn't gonna be that much more scratch/mar resistant; bang a door against it and even the mightiest, diamond-infused, 10h coating is gone give way.

8. Likes The Guz, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't tell me that ... I already have a package of MOHS ready to go lol.

I am sure it's definitely going to provide better scratch resistance than the CanCoat but at the same time, I am not expecting errant doors to be bouncing off the MOHS coating

10. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Unfortunately this is not the case. Budget correct me if I am wrong but didn’t you speak to a Gyeon rep and they mentioned that CanCoat has 30% SiO2.

Budget put it perfectly on CanCoat.

You must be thinking of Cure which would fall in the same category as Reload.

Ahhh absolutely ! CanCoat was really just the practice run with using the DA polisher for the first time and applying a SiO2 coating. I will just re-do the car with MOHS in 6-12 months.

Have to say I have been really happy with the self cleaning and gloss of CanCoat but you guys have pointed out the main flaw for me here being the lack of scratch resistance (which incidentally, it isn't advertised to provide).
    Here’s the thing with coatings. Don’t buy too much in the hardness rating or even durability claims.

Coatings are not impervious to scratches. They help with wash induced marring. But even then that is pushing it.

Durability is going to vary depending on the environment it is exposed to and maintenance among other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I'd call CanCoat more of a coating-lite product as opposed to a Reload-type 'maintenance product' which are now sealants? It's hard to keep up.

In any event, even Mohs isn't gonna be that much more scratch/mar resistant; bang a door against it and even the mightiest, diamond-infused, 10h coating is gone give way.
    Perfectly said.

Don't tell me that ... I already have a package of MOHS ready to go lol.

I am sure it's definitely going to provide better scratch resistance than the CanCoat but at the same time, I am not expecting errant doors to be bouncing off the MOHS coating
    I posted up my experience on coating hardness up above.

Here is my take on both products. I will be posting up my thoughts on my coating experiences before the end of the year as I put my thoughts down on paper. Along with a supplemental write up on observations I’ve made with some of these various coatings in a separate test.

Saying that CanCoat has better hydrophobic properties compared to Mohs even if it doesn’t last as long in the long run. Mohs to me was rather blah other than the look it leaves on the surface.

If you want scratch resistance then paint protection film is what you want. That also has its limitations.

You may want to play with the combination of Mohs + CanCoat. Seems like a favorite amongst Gyeon users.

Gyeon Primer Polish definitely does add increased longevity.

12. Likes stylo, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All I am really after is to prevent/minimise swirls/scratches from washing - this is after all, where most cars get their swirls from ! I am not after ground breaking scratch resistance.

Now, I speak with from experience with my previous car which was professionally coated with Opticoat +.

It was totally swirl and scratch free from my home washing (2 bucket method etc) and I was happy with the coating for a good 2.5 years. It also escaped any dents and scratches in the time I owned it as I used to park as far away as possible from other cars when I used to take it to the shops LOL (most of us can relate to this I am sure).

After that, I started noticing some swirls especially on the rear bumper, where it gets the most dirt and clearly, I lacked care when washing when it was extremely dirty.

This is the reason that I am going to be applying a Quartz Coating (MOHS) to my new car (albeit not professionally), but the first step was CanCoat just to get a feel for the product.

I am expecting 2-3 coats of MOHS to achieve the same protection as the Opticoat+ but most likely not for the same longevity. I will be happy with 1.5-2 years out of it. MOHS and CanCoat and Cure is looking like the combo to go for

Also my cars are always garaged and rarely parked out in the sun ...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, the wife has managed to put a light scratch mark on the door. The 2 layers of CanCoat is only a week old ..

What are my options ? Go through the cut/polish/finish of the whole door panel or just that small 2” x 2” spot and apply the two layers of CanCoat again ?
    Not a big deal. Just polish down that area and re-coat the panel. It will blend just fine.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

15. Likes stylo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the reason that I am going to be applying a Quartz Coating (MOHS) to my new car (albeit not professionally), but the first step was CanCoat just to get a feel for the product.
    Go with Syncro. 2-3 coats of Mohs then Skin = PERFECTION and a SUPER hydrophobic property. You'll love it. Mohs is super easy to apply too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

17. Likes stylo liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast