autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CanCoat Application Problems

There are a few threads discussing CanCoat and I think I read in one of them that you can use multiple layers. Can anyone confirm if you can layer CanCoat or I'm I just wiping off the first layer when applying the second layer? If so how many hours between coats?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SirFrederick View Post
    There are a few threads discussing CanCoat and I think I read in one of them that you can use multiple layers. Can anyone confirm if you can layer CanCoat or I'm I just wiping off the first layer when applying the second layer? If so how many hours between coats?
    Yes you can definitely layer Q2 CanCoat. 3 layers tops with one hour in between will be fine.

3. Thanks SirFrederick, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you need to clean the pump between hour coats.

Post Thanks / Like

My package came with three pumps or four extra pumps. Cleaning and using the same pump between applications might lead to water getting into the first few sprays of product during the follow on layers. I'd recommend simply using multiple spray pumps. After applying the first coat, clean that sprayer and leave it to dry. Pull out a dry spray pump to apply the second coat and do the same clean up routine afterwards.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Thanks SirFrederick thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    My package came with three pumps or four extra pumps. Cleaning and using the same pump between applications might lead to water getting into the first few sprays of product during the follow on layers. I'd recommend simply using multiple spray pumps. After applying the first coat, clean that sprayer and leave it to dry. Pull out a dry spray pump to apply the second coat and do the same clean up routing afterwards.
    Excellent advice.

Post Thanks / Like

CanCoat Application Problems

Quote Originally Posted by mbkite View Post
    Would you need to clean the pump between hour coats.
    Do what’s mentioned up above.

The only thing I will add is that I flush hot water through the sprayer. I pump the sprayer as well. My original sprayer is still working and I have never had it clog up.

9. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SirFrederick View Post
    Excellent advice.
    Spelling error and all. Sorry about that guys...

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Do what’s mentioned up above.

The only thing I will add is that I flush hot water through the sprayer. I pump the sprayer as well. My original sprayer is still working and I have never had it clog up.
    I too am using the original sprayer since I never layer CanCoat immediatly. I still have 2~3 untouched pumps in the box.

My clean up is similar, but I'll fill a small bucket with a mixture of APC and water. I'll then stick the pump tube in the bucket and run quite a bit of solution through it. Once I'm done, I'll submerge the entire assembly in the solution. I also stick my application towel in this bucket and let everything soak over night. So far, I'm able to re-use both the towels and the pumps with no problems.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I put on two layers of CanCoat earlier this week. Man o man that stuff is fantastic. It's so easy to use. It's basically like using Megs Fast Finish. I suspect it will have much better durability though. The gloss is a lot better the MFF which doesn't really add any gloss at all. I would have to say that CanCoat is probably one of the best detailing products out there.

12. Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got done doing a Honda Accord in blue. There are several high spots showing now as the sun has gone down. How do you get rid of those so I can re-coat those areas? They weren't there when I was applying this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 02whitetundra View Post
    Just got done doing a Honda Accord in blue. There are several high spots showing now as the sun has gone down. How do you get rid of those so I can re-coat those areas? They weren't there when I was applying this.
    Sorry to hear. High-spots can be a PIA but what you're going through in terms of a learning curve.....well, lots of people experience it. I'm sure Mike can chime in and I'll see if I can link you to some tips and tricks on wipe off techniques. I may put a video together even down the road.

Anyway, to your point, if you have a handful of them, and they positively are set in and won't wipe off, try with some paint prep spray and see if they are possible not fully cured. If so, then you can try a light polish and a rag by hand. Light even pressure with a foam applicator and then buff. If that has removed it, re-apply to that area overlapping it of course and then buff completely. Make sure being it's a dark color that the appearance is even and looks uniform. You shouldn't have any issues. Worst case you may have to just very lightly polish the entire panel but I doubt it.

Not sure if you did but using the GYEON Primer as your base makes using CanCoat so much easier. Goes on easier and wipes off nicely. Give it a try. Hope this helps.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast