autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CanCoat Application Problems

I believe I mentioned this elsewhere on another thread, but here is the short version of the answer I provided there.

After the first application, despite being dunked in a bucket of APC and water solution the MF applicator pad turned crispy like others mention, and I tossed it. However, after the last two uses of CanCoat the low nap MF towel I used, which was also dunked and left to soak in a bucket just like the pad, turned out just fine. It's nice and soft, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. No idea how I saw such different results.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Thanks stylo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stylo View Post
    Good work Desertnate, glad it worked out ok !

Jeff, is there a need to throw the MF towels away after applying/buffing off the product ie does it harden on the MF cloth if it is not washed immediately ?
    Good Morning! If soaked immediately in an APC mix and then washed you can get a few uses out of a MF towel. For me, I always use a brand new towel for coating application of any kind. It is worth it to me to know that the towel is going to perform its best, absorb excess material effectively, and that my application will be perfect. I usually use a towel to coat once and then it becomes a wheel towel or door jambs or engine or the like for a few uses and then gets tossed.

4. Thanks stylo, Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes ronkh57, RZJZA80, Rmd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it OK to use a spray wax on top of the CanCoat coating .. I will probably use this alternately on a weekly basis with the bottle of Cure that I am currently using.

Only asking because I purchased Duragloss Aquawax in bulk and have maybe 4 litres of it remaining !!!

I do not want it to ruin the CanCoat .. appreciate it if you can answer Jeff, but am aware it's a different branded product, so appreciate any insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it OK to use a spray wax on top of the CanCoat coating .. I will probably use this alternately on a weekly basis with the bottle of Cure that I am currently using.

Only asking because I purchased Duragloss Aquawax in bulk and have maybe 4 litres of it remaining !!!

I do not want it to ruin the CanCoat .. appreciate it if you can answer Jeff, but am aware it's a different branded product, so appreciate any insight.
    You can use as it won't ruin CanCoat. Just be aware that you will be seeing the hydrophobic properties of Aquawax instead of CanCoat. The self cleaning effect will also be that of Aquawax. If you are ok with that then go ahead and continue using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Genius, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

You can apply any wax or sealant you'd like over a coating. It will not degrade the underlying layer. However as stated below you will experience the performance of that outer layer in terms of gloss and hydrophobic properties while the coating is still there doing its job with UV and chemical resistance. Go on lightly especially with a spray wax. You are applying a product that wants to absorb in to the pores of the paint, however we have sealed them off with CanCoat. When a product doesn't have anywhere to go it builds up and shows up as streaks.

9. Thanks oneheadlite, stylo thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any reason a suede MF applicator won't work? This is what I use for other coatings. I dislike MF towels for this kind of product because they absorb so much of it.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Any reason a suede MF applicator won't work? This is what I use for other coatings. I dislike MF towels for this kind of product because they absorb so much of it.
    the microfiber towel is recommended because of the speed in which the product is applied to the surface and the speed in which the carrier solvent begins to evaporate. You can use a small suede applicator but it will slow down the process and the product will likely remain on the surface a bit too long. The design of CanCoat is to be a fast and easy SiO2 application. My thought has always been if I am going to apply with the suede and block I would just bump up to ONE, PURE, or MOHS.

Post Thanks / Like

Got it. Will go with MF. Thanks Jeff.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Besides the information Jeff has graciously provided, my experiences over two different applications in this very thread should help as well.

My first application using a MF applicator, which led me to start this thread was, was problematic to say the least. The second attempt in which I applied the product as directed using a low nap MF towel was very, quick, easy and actually pretty enjoyable.

You mention not liking the absorption of the product in the towel being a concern, but I'll counter with the fact you put down so little product each time saturation is never a problem. You are only giving the towel 2~3 quick pumps of the sprayer for each pannel and it comes out in a pretty fine mist. I only used one MF towel when applying to my wife's Highlander and at no time did I find the towel to be saturated and cause issues like other products might.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Jeff at Gyeon, stylo liked this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast