autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CanCoat Application Problems

Desertnate, I think your initial post could have been written by me after my first application. Welcome to my world! Having used sealants for so long, I am a bit heavy handed in applications. I checked with BudgetMan and Guz and they taught me it should be applied very thin. I now use The Guz's method of spraying a MF block pad. Two sprays for the first use, then believe it or not, just one spray on the pad for the next few sections. I do 18 x 18 inch sections, maybe 24 x 24. Then I immediately gently wipe / buff the area with a fresh MF towel until all grabby-ness is gone and it is slick. Rotate the pad out every few sections. I used to apply Collinite as thin as humanly possible. At least that was my goal. I try and do the same with CanCoat. I can get 8 sedans done per Can. If your Can was only 1/2 full, the mailman stole some from you or else you had a leak in shipment. My cans are 90% full when new.

2. Thanks Desertnate, Caraman thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, SWETM, Caraman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Interesting to hear everyone had much more product in their bottle. I don't think I had a leak because the lid was on tight and it made a hissing noise when I broke the seal.

Either way, I'll fix the problems and give it a try again on a different can in a few weeks.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Hufnagel View Post
    Link to your preferred MF block?
    Something like this will work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The temp and humidity play a factor as well.

I think you realized by now that using more product is not good. As Jeff pointed out this has a fast flash time.

I've used a towel and a microfiber applicator to apply it. The microfiber applicator is much better in terms of control and in my experience laying down a much more even layer. Again you don't need to overly spray the applicator. The downside is that you will go through a couple of these depending on the size of the vehicle as the pad becomes saturated and the product cures on it after a few panels. The microfiber blocks are what I use with CanCoat and don't have any issues.

As Jeff mentioned working fast with it is key and have the towel in the other hand ready to wipe off after a couple passes. Good lighting is always helpful.

I did my first vehicle with CanCoat this weekend after a complete polish. I've watched the Gyeon video on Autogeek a couple of times, but struggled using a microfiber towel to apply it. My problem was not being able to spray an even mist across the towel, and couldn't seem to get complete coverage on the paint (or see that I was getting coverage on my white paint). So I gave up the towel after the roof and did the rest of the van with the same micro-fiber covered sponge that The Guz is talking about. I could cover the surface of the sponge with 1 or 2 sprays, apply evenly to the paint, and then immediately buff out with another soft micro-fiber cloth. That seemed to work great, and I could verify the micro-fiber sponge was applying product evenly. I waited 4 hours and then applied Cure as a topper.

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's worth mentioned that the white towel type thing that it comes with is actually really good at applying the Cancoat, followed by a quick buff with a plush MF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    It's worth mentioned that the white towel type thing that it comes with is actually really good at applying the Cancoat, followed by a quick buff with a plush MF.
    I noticed they shipped it with the order I just received, but my first order for can coat did not come with one

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Cancoat is a real product game changer you can apply a coating to you car every 6 months and it will hang with the big boys for at a minimum of 6 months. It is perfect for people that love coating and love touching their cars. I will start with a list of dont that I found out the hard sweat drenched way and throbbing shoulder joint. Do not attempt to apply like a normal coating or you will be in agony trying to get this super glue off your paint. Also do not try to pour it out of the bottle or your shoes will be waterproof. Thin is in don’t apply heavy and don’t top it. The sprayers don’t work past their intial outings.

Here is my list of do’s .....Follow the direction!!!!and you will fall in love wic the product it’s my favorite detailing product once I started spraying into the cloth provided and going thin I think I easily got 8 cars out of first bottle. I put it on trim wheels my bathtub, toilet all kinds of stainless

Post Thanks / Like

I still have the original sprayer for mine and it is still working. I have flushed it out with hot water for a few minutes with constant pumping.

I also got 11 months out of CanCoat using it in conjunction with Gyeon Primer Polish here in So Cal. It’s pretty much done on the flat surfaces and still decently good on the sides.

11. Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I clean the spayers with Denatured alcohol and they stay clear without issue. I actually use the small bottles and sprayers from the CURE product that comes with the Syncro kits.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the sds sheet on CanCoat. One of the carriers is ipa 10-20%. So think that you can flush the sprayer with that first and then rinse it out with water and prefered hot water as Guz mentioned.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast