autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CanCoat Application Problems

The temp and humidity play a factor as well.

I think you realized by now that using more product is not good. As Jeff pointed out this has a fast flash time.

I've used a towel and a microfiber applicator to apply it. The microfiber applicator is much better in terms of control and in my experience laying down a much more even layer. Again you don't need to overly spray the applicator. The downside is that you will go through a couple of these depending on the size of the vehicle as the pad becomes saturated and the product cures on it after a few panels. The microfiber blocks are what I use with CanCoat and don't have any issues.

As Jeff mentioned working fast with it is key and have the towel in the other hand ready to wipe off after a couple passes. Good lighting is always helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Sorry to hear you had a tough first go-around with CanCoat. Hopefully the next application will go smoother.

Thanks for sharing your experiences though! I’ve got CanCoat on the shelf to try on a a friend’s car - this was a very helpful read and has a lot of good things to keep in mind during application. Also a great reminder of how we’re all in different environments and products may act slightly different for some vs others.

Post Thanks / Like

So in order that my simple mind understands this, I should spray a folded, low nap mf towel (or mf applicator) with 2 to 3 (max) sprays of CanCoat 3 feet or better away from the car and out of any drafts. Wipe it on with 3 or so passes and IMMEDIATELY flip the towel and buff it off? Dividing each panel into 2-4 sections depending on the size?

Am I missing anything?
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    So in order that my simple mind understands this, I should spray a folded, low nap mf towel (or mf applicator) with 2 to 3 (max) sprays of CanCoat 3 feet or better away from the car and out of any drafts. Wipe it on with 3 or so passes and IMMEDIATELY flip the towel and buff it off? Dividing each panel into 2-4 sections depending on the size?

Am I missing anything?
    You got it! swap to a clean towel every panels or so or at least make sure you're using clean sides of the fist one.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    So much for the so called "easy" application of this product. Lol
    To be honest, that's the appeal for me. While it took a vehicle to figure out the, uh, overspray issue when applying to towel, after that it was a Quick Detailer like application. Spritz in towel (while turned away from car) then just start applying, buffing/wiping until entire surface is slick then a quick buff with clean towel and on to next section. Had I put too much thought into it, I likely woulda gooned it up because, well, that's just what I do.

Lent a can to a co-worker over the weekend with no experience in car care aside from using Poorboys Spray & Wipe every now and again and he came back suitably impressed with its look on his black car. Just told him 2 or 3 spritzes in a towel, rub on/into surface until slick, keep towel in constant motion, final wipe with clean towel, move on to next section.

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used 1 can of Cancoat on 2 cars and a big truck and there's still about a quarter left in it, give or take. I totally expected to be able to do only 2 cars with a can. I used a short knap MF, spraying it directly to the MF, to apply, wipe in, and then buff off with a thick knap MF. It has worked flawlessly for me and easy to use. It will get a tad grabby if you wait too long to buff off, but even the instructions say to wipe it in until it disappears so it works as intended.

BTW I buff off just because, I haven't had any high spots to speak of that needed the buffing off.

Post Thanks / Like

I am now on my 2nd bottle of CanCoat. I am sorry to hear about your experience. But the way I apply CanCoat is I spray on a Micro Fiber Towel and apply it to a panel. I follow up with a clean MF towel. My 1st time using it, I thought I was not applying any at all. However, I could actually see the area I covered from the change in color (my car I worked on was a Black car).

Thin to win! The 2nd Micro Fiber towel follow up really helped quite a bit. DO NOT apply a 2nd coat if you wait an hour. Wait at least 2 or 3 hours for a 2nd coat. I had high spots in many areas. I have applied CanCoat to about 6 - 7 vehicles and each time I am getting better at my technique. It is very easy to correct the high spots too! Very forgiving product.

My guess you were applying too much product each time. As for over spray, I make sure I spray the MF Towel and away from the car. I have learned a technique after a while.

I hope this will help in some areas!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

9. Likes GEM65 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One more question.

Does CanCoat remove itself? I mean if I get a light high spot, would I be able to use another light application to remove it, or would I be stuck having to polish it out and have to start over?
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    One more question.

Does CanCoat remove itself? I mean if I get a light high spot, would I be able to use another light application to remove it, or would I be stuck having to polish it out and have to start over?
    Despite my application mistakes, I did find this would work if you caught it fast enough, i.e. no more than a minute or so after application. You do need to make sure you use VERY little and only apply it to just the area of the highspot.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The temp and humidity play a factor as well.

I think you realized by now that using more product is not good. As Jeff pointed out this has a fast flash time.

I've used a towel and a microfiber applicator to apply it. The microfiber applicator is much better in terms of control and in my experience laying down a much more even layer. Again you don't need to overly spray the applicator. The downside is that you will go through a couple of these depending on the size of the vehicle as the pad becomes saturated and the product cures on it after a few panels. The microfiber blocks are what I use with CanCoat and don't have any issues.

As Jeff mentioned working fast with it is key and have the towel in the other hand ready to wipe off after a couple passes. Good lighting is always helpful.
    Link to your preferred MF block?
    2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Crystal White Pearl, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Oxford White Clearcoat.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast