autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Made a video showing CanCoat on my Infiniti

Nice vid, but why did you strip the CQuartz and Gliss off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Nice vid, but why did you strip the CQuartz and Gliss off?
    I like Cquartz. Very good coating with a good hydrophobic and self cleaning properties. Topped with Gliss, it's super slick and feels great. Not much gain from a contact angle standpoint and that's now necessarily how it's marketed, but for the money, IMO it should be more than what it is. Scale of 1-10 I give the combo an 8. That said, my wife's vehicle has Gyeon's Syncro Kit on it and on that same scale it's off the charts crazy hydrophobic and self cleaning. It very clearly offers way way better performance on hers vs mine at the time. It's not much more in terms of money when you price out Cquartz and Gliss (granted I always buy 50ml or larger sizes) where I can though. Takes a bit more time but it is worth it on both accounts. I give Syncro which is 2-3 layers of Mohs and 1 layer of Skin a 10/10.

So I stripped the CarPro products as I can see how they perform and know that deep down I'm not happy enough to keep it anymore. I intended to apply Syncro but ran into a time constraint and lucked out as I changed up my product offering and have eliminated any waxes and sealants and instead am adding Gyeon's CanCoat. I did so based on reviews but needed to test it out and thus I re-did my car with CanCoat except for the front and rear clips so I had a comparison area. Can coat performance wise beats Cquartz and Gliss combined. The main downside I see to it is longevity as it's rated at 6 months. Looks wise, it's nearly the same. Car still has a candy gloss and looks amazing. I'm actually torn and am half way inclined to just repolish mine with Gyeon's Primer to fully strip the car, amp up the gloss and just run CanCoat instead and when / where needed, add their Booster down the road, etc.

My plan however is for the July 4th holiday and time off work that I'll be doing my with Syncro then. It's very good and I just gotta have it on my car too Perhaps a week early if I keep a slot open on my schedule.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    and when / where needed, add their Booster down the road, etc.
    I believe Booster is a reactive topcoat, interacting/integrating with the base coating, thus the need to apply relatively soon after the base coating (before base coating cures fully)

I think that's how Gyeon explained it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I believe Booster is a reactive topcoat, interacting/integrating with the base coating, thus the need to apply relatively soon after the base coating (before base coating cures fully)

Correct, Booster is a Fluorine based top coat that is more of a chemical reaction with the underlying coating (any high quality coating) to increase surface tension and increase water contact angle. It is best when used before the underlying coating is fully cured. It can be applied down the road but you won't see a ton of durability.

5. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great video. CanCoat has some impressive and aggressive water behavior. Better than some longer lasting coatings.

Love videos like that...CanCoat is a wonderful product. Great for use exactly as you plan.

CONSUMPTION: 50ml/car
    SIO2 PERCENTAGE: >10%
    CONTACT ANGLE: 100'
    PH TOLERANCE: 3-11
    THICKNESS: 0,2 - 0,5qm
    DURABILITY: >6months / 10K km

Although the claim SiO2 content as > 10%, I believe Jeff mentioned it was closer to 30% when we spoke last weekend. Whatever it is, the stuff is amazing.
    30% SiO2 is a good amount. If that is the case then it is indeed worth the cost just based on the performance I have experienced with it. Either way it is a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post

So I stripped the CarPro products as I can see how they perform and know that deep down I'm not happy enough to keep it anymore. I intended to apply Syncro but ran into a time constraint and lucked out as I changed up my product offering and have eliminated any waxes and sealants and instead am adding Gyeon's CanCoat. I did so based on reviews but needed to test it out and thus I re-did my car with CanCoat except for the front and rear clips so I had a comparison area. Can coat performance wise beats Cquartz and Gliss combined. The main downside I see to it is longevity as it's rated at 6 months. Looks wise, it's nearly the same. Car still has a candy gloss and looks amazing. I'm actually torn and am half way inclined to just repolish mine with Gyeon's Primer to fully strip the car, amp up the gloss and just run CanCoat instead and when / where needed, add their Booster down the road, etc.

My plan however is for the July 4th holiday and time off work that I'll be doing my with Syncro then. It's very good and I just gotta have it on my car too Perhaps a week early if I keep a slot open on my schedule.
    CanCoat will exceed your expectations. It has exceeded mine in using it in conjunction with Gyeon Primer Polish. It has exceeded the claimed 6 month durability for me. Sure I have used Cure on it here and there but in the last couple months I have not used anything. At 10 months the sides of the vehicle it is on is still doing well. The flatter surfaces have started to sheet more than have that aggressive water beading it once had. If I hit it with Cure I could easily limp along for a full year and I may do just that. But I think it is time to either reapply or try another coating that I have in my possession.

Based on what Jeff has mentioned and my personal recommendation, would be to stick with Cure every now and then and save Booster for a base layer coating like Mohs or Pure.

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff at Gyeon View Post
    Correct, Booster is a Fluorine based top coat that is more of a chemical reaction with the underlying coating (any high quality coating) to increase surface tension and increase water contact angle. It is best when used before the underlying coating is fully cured. It can be applied down the road but you won't see a ton of durability.
    Good to know. Sounds like I'll stick with Syncro regardless.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12