autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How To: GYEON quartz Q² Trim

Good Day All!

How about a bit of a chat on Trim Coatings?

Coating your Trim isn't as immediately gratifying as the paint I suppose, as we don't get a pop in gloss. But it will certainly enrich the color and bead water like crazy. The reason we coat the Trim is the same reason we coat any surface, to withstand the slow degradation of exposure to UV and environmental contaminant. Keep it from fading. And even bring back a fading piece of Trim to its former glory.

GYEON quartz Q² Trim is an SiO2 based coating designed specifically for plastics and trim that will perform for at least 24 months. It is ph tolerant from 2-11, so it will hold up against most every cleaning chemical that would be used on the car.

The most important step in the application of any Trim coating is making sure that any previously applied dressing or coating is completely removed prior to applying Q² Trim. If the vehicle is brand new and you are confident that the dealership has not applied any overly greasy dressing, then a good wipe down with Q²M Prep will suffice. If something is in place than a strong APC and a good scrub with a stiff bristle brush should do the trick, depending on what is applied.

Use a highly absorbent microfiber towel like GYEON Q²M SoftWipe to make sure that you are absorbing the existing material and removing it from the surface and not pushing it around, or transferring the material.

Once the trim is clean, you can apply Q² Trim. Use the Suede Applicator and Foam Block included in the kit. I like to go on heavy with Q² Trim to ensure good absorption in to the plastic. I'd rather wipe up excess material than have an uneven finish because I didn't apply enough.

Then wipe up the excess with a highly absorbent microfiber towel like GYEON Q²M SoftWipe.

The trim will be well protected, have a very healthy look when dry (not greasy or shiny or oily) and bead water nicely!

The biggest piece of advice I can give on Q² Trim is to make sure the surface is WELL prepared. The only time I have seen a negative experience is when there was an existing coating or dressing in place that was not adequately removed and Q² Trim was not able to bond directly to the plastic.

Also, I typically do not use Q² Trim on interior plastics. There are many variables on how the product is absorbed on interior plastic. Most manufacturers have UV coated the plastic to begin with and with the many different density of plastics used it can be difficult to get an even coverage at times. For interior plastics I like a dressing like Q²M Preserve. I do use it for engine bay plastics and also as a final coating over polished/restored headlights.

How is trim coating going for everyone here? Pro's and Con's?

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: GYEON quartz Q² Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff at Gyeon View Post
    There are many variables on how the product is absorbed on interior plastic. Most manufacturers have UV coated the plastic to begin with and with the many different density of plastics used it can be difficult to get an even coverage at times.

How is trim coating going for everyone here? Pro's and Con's?
    Man you got that right... I’m in the process of coating all the exterior plastic trim on my brothers new Ford F 150 with a different trim coating. So far I’ve only done the trim on the top of the bed, and it’s exactly how you described it, it’s a very tedious task to ensure you get even coverage, and getting it wrong is a slippery slope with almost no turning back if you screw it up because that usually means you’ve over applied...

This is after the 1st coat, if you notice at the top how it’s sort of uneven... But I was patient and just allowed the 1st coat to dry, knowing I could fix it with the 2nd coat instead of over applying and potentially messing it up.

Your Gyeon Trim seems like it’s good stuff, I haven’t tried it yet.

4. Likes PaulMys, Jeff at Gyeon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started work at a Ford dealer today.

I was looking at that F-150 trim and thinking "Oh man, imagine trying to lay down trim coating on That!" Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It works quite well. Applied Trim to plastics on wife's daily driver 10/2016 and 11k miles later, still looking good. Car sits outside 24/7 from April to November, NE Ohio.

Solid stuff.

8. Likes PaulMys, Jeff at Gyeon, The Guz, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well written Jeff. I have had a very good experience with Q2 Trim thus far.

I also agree with you on Preserve. It works great on the interior plastics. Really rejuvenates the plastic with a nice non-greasy look.

I have it on the trim of my dad's car that I applied back in December 2017. I will go over it with Cure every few washes to keep some sort of sacrificial layer on it as well. It's too easy not too.

Even did the entire engine bay plastics in December of 2016 and it is still holding up well.

And I also used it on the new rear taillights of my brothers Tahoe.

10. Likes Maxreed241, Jeff at Gyeon, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Well written Jeff. I have had a very good experience with Q2 Trim thus far.

I also agree with you on Preserve. It works great on the interior plastics. Really rejuvenates the plastic with a nice non-greasy look.

I have it on the trim of my dad's car that I applied back in December 2017. I will go over it with Cure every few washes to keep some sort of sacrificial layer on it as well. It's too easy not too.

Even did the entire engine bay plastics in December of 2016 and it is still holding up well.

And I also used it on the new rear taillights of my brothers Tahoe.

Awesome!!! Looking great.

12. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I just started work at a Ford dealer today.

I was looking at that F-150 trim and thinking "Oh man, imagine trying to lay down trim coating on That!" Lol
    You know what I’m talkin bout! Lol.
    This truck has a ton of plastic trim. There’s large portions of trim on the top of the truck bed, rear bumper, running boards, 4 door handles, B pillars, windshield cowl, side view mirrors, front grill, large piece underneath front bumper, 2 fake vents in the front [which I’ll just spray instead of coat], and then there’s the large rubber window trim, which I’ll save for last and decide whether or not to pick a fight with.lol.

It’s crazy, but it’s gonna set it off once I’m all done with it.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you apply Gyeon Trim over Solution Finish? Solution Finish is great on badly faded trim, but Gyeon Trim would lock in the shine and make it water resistant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You know what I’m talkin bout! Lol.
    This truck has a ton of plastic trim. There’s large portions of trim on the top of the truck bed, rear bumper, running boards, 4 door handles, B pillars, windshield cowl, side view mirrors, front grill, large piece underneath front bumper, 2 fake vents in the front [which I’ll just spray insteadof coat], and then there’s the large rubber window trim, which I’ll save for last and decide whether or not to pick a fight with.lol.

It’s crazy, but it’s gonna set it off once I’m all done with it.
    Yup, and that's the 150. Those 350 Super Duty big boys? Get an army........ lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

17. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Yup, and that's the 150. Those 350 Super Duty big boys? Get an army........ lol
    You guys are in that other thread talking about money.... Meanwhile this is a job I’m no doubt doing for free. It’s my little brother cmon.lol.

I already washed and sealed the paint. That 1st wash went ok but the drying of the virgin black paint with no lsp was PITA! Using the Big Blue felt like trying to dry the truck with a big plush blanket! Lol. I was like I better not be instilling swirls right now!lol. I made it through unscathed.

Sorry, lets get back on topic. Plastic trim!

19. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast