autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Still have some questions on Geyon Product Comparisons

First, I'm very happy with Syncro. Washed my wife's MK-C and again, the most hyrdophobic coating I've used yet. Her car had 10 days of heavy rain and dirt on it and the road film was so thick you could feel it with your eyes. With a simple fan pattern wand on my garden hose the dirt blasted off like it was dust. I was seriously impressed which having used a lot of products and coatings, I must say the level of it's cleanability is stellar.

That said, What's the difference with Pure? I know it's a thicker 1-coat coating that touts it's wet-candy gloss which I love, but how does it stack up against 2-coats of Mohs? Also, I have nearly a full bottle of skin left after having done several vehicles and combining the left overs thus I'm wondering if Skin can be applied over Pure?

Input appreciated.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Still have some questions on Geyon Product Comparisons

Jeff touched on the differences between the two products in your other thread. I have Pure but I don't know if or when I will use it. This is a replacement for Prime so I suspect it's performance to be slightly better than it. Another thing to add is that Mohs is targeted as their hardest coating.

Thoughts on Geyon Pure vs Mohs & Syncro

Jeff made another great post on Autopia that covers the difference between the two. I asked Jeff about applying Skin over Pure and you can see his response in this thread. You should not have any issues using over Pure. Just a sanity check on my part.

Intro to GYEON quartz Q2 Mohs

Before you go out and purchase Pure go and check out the how to write up Jeff posted on Detailed Image. The application process is indeed different and a bit quircky. So if you don't want to go through the hassle of the application process and are happy with Syncro then stick with Syncro. It is a great combination.

4. Likes SWETM, Jeff at Gyeon, Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Jeff touched on the differences between the two products in your other thread. I have Pure but I don't know if or when I will use it. This is a replacement for Prime so I suspect it's performance to be slightly better than it. Another thing to add is that Mohs is targeted as their hardest coating.

Thoughts on Geyon Pure vs Mohs & Syncro

Jeff made another great post on Autopia that covers the difference between the two. I asked Jeff about applying Skin over Pure and you can see his response in this thread. You should not have any issues using over Pure. Just a sanity check on my part.

Intro to GYEON quartz Q2 Mohs

Before you go out and purchase Pure go and check out the how to write up Jeff posted on Detailed Image. The application process is indeed different and a bit quircky. So if you don't want to go through the hassle of the application process and are happy with Syncro then stick with Syncro. It is a great combination.
    thank you sir. I copy/pasted his information here as it's a great read and addition to this thread.

GYEON_Jeff

To me, the biggest advantage of working with Q2 Mohs is its ease of use. Easy on and easy off while performing at a high level. What plays in to that?

1. Q2 Mohs is a PHPS based coating (polysilazane.....and not SiO2). So very smooth application without the tacky wipe off.

2. High quality carrier solvents and a great ratio of silazanes to solvents.

Q2 Mohs is designed as a 2 layer coating that can be layered up to 3 times. Past 3 layers it stops wanting to interact with the next.

Q2 Mohs is also designed as a protection oriented product. Is it the glossiest on the planet by itself? Probably not although it delivers plenty of gloss and I install it as a stand alone often. The Sio2 based coatings will deliver that very dramatic bend of light where Q2 Mohs gives a very crisp and clean pop.

Does it give the highest water bead angle on the planet at 105 degree contact angle? Probably not although that`s not to say it doesn`t display nice beading characteristics and remove water and contaminant from the surface at a high level.

Q2 Mohs really shows it`s stuff in terms of durability and protection, which is what we are asking a coating to really do. It is extremely resistant in terms of UV and Chemical damage. It`s ability to withstand penetration from these factors is at the top of its class.

If you are in to multi-layered coatings, you`ll understand why Q2 Mohs is typically the starting point for a few cool product combinations in the GYEON quartz line up:

1. Q2 Mohs topped with Q2 CanCoat. This is one of my all time favorites. I like to apply 2 layers of Q2 Mohs, wait overnight, and then drop a layer of Q2 CanCoat over it in the morning. Q2 CanCoat is SiO2 based. So we are getting the protection and durability out of Q2 Mohs and then a pop in gloss and water beading characteristics out of Q2 CanCoat. With good maintenance I would easily expect 3 years + out of this combination.

2. Q2 Mohs topped with Q2 Booster. This combination is very close to what you would receive in the GYEON Certified Detailer Q2 DuraBead product. Q2 Booster, like Q2 Bead in DuraBead, is a Fluorine based top coat designed to increase surface tension and throw the water beading characteristics through the roof. The Fluorine base of Q2 Booster is performing a chemical reaction with the Q2 Mohs underneath, and is not a true additional layer. Q2 Booster also needs to be applied before Q2 Mohs has cured, so it is best to apply them as a system and in sequence. Q2 Booster will not do much good say 6 months down the road. It can also be applied over any high quality coating.

3. The new Q2 SYNCRO Kit (Q2 Mohs and Q2 SKIN). This is a new product released at SEMA 2017 that is designed as the ultimate DIY coating, and used by professionals as well. It includes a 50 ml of Q2 Mohs as the base coating. And then we have a 30 ml of Q2 SKIN as the top coat. Q2 SKIN is a true additional layer of coating. It provides its own unique gloss that looks really good. It is silicon based and is designed to deliver maximum slickness. Very cool coating worth checking out. The SKIN top coat is close to what is included in the GYEON Certified Detailer Q2 DuraFlex kit.

I`d love to hear how you guys are using Q2 Mohs! And here to answer any questions!
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

6. Likes The Guz, BudgetPlan1, SWETM, Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it's worth to save the extra Skin to apply say on the 1 year mark. To extend the longevity of the top layer effectiveness Syncro gives. Or is it so that when Skin wears off the coating is done. Just a thought that comes to mind with the 2 products combo. Understand that you are getting intrested to use Skin as a top coating on another coating than mohs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    First, I'm very happy with Syncro. Washed my wife's MK-C and again, the most hyrdophobic coating I've used yet. Her car had 10 days of heavy rain and dirt on it and the road film was so thick you could feel it with your eyes. With a simple fan pattern wand on my garden hose the dirt blasted off like it was dust. I was seriously impressed which having used a lot of products and coatings, I must say the level of it's cleanability is stellar.

That said, What's the difference with Pure? I know it's a thicker 1-coat coating that touts it's wet-candy gloss which I love, but how does it stack up against 2-coats of Mohs? Also, I have nearly a full bottle of skin left after having done several vehicles and combining the left overs thus I'm wondering if Skin can be applied over Pure?

Input appreciated.
    Good Day!

Very glad SYNCRO is performing well for you. I am continually impressed by that coating system. I would say it is really a thumbs up for SKIN. The slickness and water behavior that SKIN offers is pretty intense.

So Pure and Mohs on their own, both housed in the GYEON Professional category of coatings, are quite different in terms of their chemical makeup.

Mohs:
    - Easier install (in my opinion) but requires 2 layers
    - "harder" coating in the sense that it matters. Though both earn 9h readings which is how we measure vertical hardness, Mohs performs better as a layer of film over your paint that is designed to withstand penetration of UV and chemical damage for an extended period of time. Can Mohs be chemically etched, yes. But it keeps the damage in the coating layer. Great against UV.
    - Very clear, clean, and crisp transfer of light. I always describe the Mohs gloss as crisp as compared to "wet".
    - Can very easily take top coats to alter the look/effect ie: CanCoat, Booster, SKIN.
    - Mohs, based on its chemistry delivers RELATIVELY "thin" layers, hence the minimum 2 layers. But they do not SHRINK! Very important.

Pure:
    - Highly concentrated (80% by volume) SiO2 based coating
    - Extremely glossy
    - Withstands water spotting/etching of the coating itself very well
    - designed as a single layer product
    - Very cool water beading
    - Can also be topped with CanCoat, Booster, and SKIN if you have it available from a SYNCRO kit.
    - Delivers a single thick layer of film build, which also does not shrink as it cures.

Choosing one over the other is super tough and mostly personal preference.

If I am coating my own car, at home in a comfortable well lit garage with low humidity, and the car is silver, blue, red. And if I do not overly care about durability to the extent that I am fine with something that will likely last 2 years on my personal car where it is going to take some action and I am going to re polish and re coat at the 2 year ish mark, then a single layer of Pure is what I would be installing.

If I am in a shop setting where time and money matter, and I am looking to give the customer the most durability possible because this is an investment to them and they won't be polishing and re coating themselves then I am going 2 layers of Mohs.

You can probably install 2 layers of Mohs in the same amount of time as a single layer of Pure (environment depending).

Tough call on which to choose. I would leave it up to the environment. Low light and high humidity, then go with Mohs. Otherwise you're in good shape either way.

9. Thanks The Guz, Diner, BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff at Gyeon View Post
    Good Day!

Very glad SYNCRO is performing well for you. I am continually impressed by that coating system. I would say it is really a thumbs up for SKIN. The slickness and water behavior that SKIN offers is pretty intense.

So Pure and Mohs on their own, both housed in the GYEON Professional category of coatings, are quite different in terms of their chemical makeup.

Mohs:
    - Easier install (in my opinion) but requires 2 layers
    - "harder" coating in the sense that it matters. Though both earn 9h readings which is how we measure vertical hardness, Mohs performs better as a layer of film over your paint that is designed to withstand penetration of UV and chemical damage for an extended period of time. Can Mohs be chemically etched, yes. But it keeps the damage in the coating layer. Great against UV.
    - Very clear, clean, and crisp transfer of light. I always describe the Mohs gloss as crisp as compared to "wet".
    - Can very easily take top coats to alter the look/effect ie: CanCoat, Booster, SKIN.
    - Mohs, based on its chemistry delivers RELATIVELY "thin" layers, hence the minimum 2 layers. But they do not SHRINK! Very important.

Pure:
    - Highly concentrated (80% by volume) SiO2 based coating
    - Extremely glossy
    - Withstands water spotting/etching of the coating itself very well
    - designed as a single layer product
    - Very cool water beading
    - Can also be topped with CanCoat, Booster, and SKIN if you have it available from a SYNCRO kit.
    - Delivers a single thick layer of film build, which also does not shrink as it cures.

Choosing one over the other is super tough and mostly personal preference.

If I am coating my own car, at home in a comfortable well lit garage with low humidity, and the car is silver, blue, red. And if I do not overly care about durability to the extent that I am fine with something that will likely last 2 years on my personal car where it is going to take some action and I am going to re polish and re coat at the 2 year ish mark, then a single layer of Pure is what I would be installing.

If I am in a shop setting where time and money matter, and I am looking to give the customer the most durability possible because this is an investment to them and they won't be polishing and re coating themselves then I am going 2 layers of Mohs.

You can probably install 2 layers of Mohs in the same amount of time as a single layer of Pure (environment depending).

Tough call on which to choose. I would leave it up to the environment. Low light and high humidity, then go with Mohs. Otherwise you're in good shape either way.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to find time this weekend to Syncro My daily driver Q50 as it still performing amazingly well on my wife's vehicle. Her car is covered completely with pollen that is embedded in the water drops from a rain that we had recently so I'm hoping to get a nice video of it's self cleaning properties either early Saturday morning or Sunday. Depends on weather and my time available.

11. Likes Jeff at Gyeon liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,

I have questions/doubts regarding the following Gyeon products comparison:

DURABEAD: MOHS Q2 + BEAD
    MOHS +: BASE Q2 + PHOBIC
    DURAFLEX: BASE Q2 + FLEXI

What are the differences between them in concept?

and in terms of:

-base coating MOHS Q2 versus BASE Q2

-Easier/ difficult to apply
    -"Harder" coating
    -Longer lasting
    -Layers to apply
    -Paint protection
    -wet effect and shine
    -etc

My intention is to use it on a metallic blue car (BMW Le Mans Blau)

Thanks in advance for your comments

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E295 View Post
    Hello all,

I have questions/doubts regarding the following Gyeon products comparison:

DURABEAD: MOHS Q2 + BEAD
    MOHS +: BASE Q2 + PHOBIC
    DURAFLEX: BASE Q2 + FLEXI

What are the differences between them in concept?

and in terms of:

-base coating MOHS Q2 versus BASE Q2

-Easier/ difficult to apply
    -"Harder" coating
    -Longer lasting
    -Layers to apply
    -Paint protection
    -wet effect and shine
    -etc

My intention is to use it on a metallic blue car (BMW Le Mans Blau)

Thanks in advance for your comments
    Just so you know those are only for certified installer of coatings. And not a consumer products.

Gyeon One
    Gyeon Pure
    Gyeon Syncro
    Is the options for consumers coatings. And then if you read above posts you can see which topper makes a consumer coating behave like the pro coatings. Wondering if Mohs is available outside of the Syncro kit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Wondering if Mohs is available outside of the Syncro kit?
    Mohs sells by itself. Skin does not. Would be nice if they had a topper like Skin because it's just awesome.
    Bruno Soares

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Mohs sells by itself. Skin does not. Would be nice if they had a topper like Skin because it's just awesome.
    Wouldn't CanCoat fit that requirement?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast