autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Still have some questions on Geyon Product Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by E295 View Post
    Hello all,

I have questions/doubts regarding the following Gyeon products comparison:

DURABEAD: MOHS Q2 + BEAD
    MOHS +: BASE Q2 + PHOBIC
    DURAFLEX: BASE Q2 + FLEXI

What are the differences between them in concept?

and in terms of:

-base coating MOHS Q2 versus BASE Q2

-Easier/ difficult to apply
    -"Harder" coating
    -Longer lasting
    -Layers to apply
    -Paint protection
    -wet effect and shine
    -etc

My intention is to use it on a metallic blue car (BMW Le Mans Blau)

Thanks in advance for your comments
    As said below, the products you are mentioning are only available within the GYEON Certified Detailer Program and not available on the open market. But to offer some information:

- Q2 MOHS and Q2 BASE are quite different, but designed along the same path. Q2 BASE is a highly reactive single layer base coating designed only to be used in conjunction with a top coat. It is extremely durable and capable in terms of environmental protection and certainly the most advanced coating within the GYEON line.

The difference between Q2 MOHS+ and Q2 DURAFLEX (both using Q2 BASE) are the top coats included in each kit. They are quite different. The outer layer is the layer that see's the world and these two top coats present two very different sets of characteristics.

Flexi: Silicone based top coat, high gloss, very high in water beading, and extremely slick (this is the key factor)
    Phobic: SiO2 based, high gloss, very chemical resistant, designed to promote more sheeting and evacuation of contaminant

Q2 DURABEAD uses 2 layers of the existing Q2 MOHS as the base coating and is topped with Q2 BEAD, which is a fluorine based top coat, does not apply a true additional layer but is a chemical reaction with the underlying Q2 MOHS to promote even more beading and self cleaning.

For the Certified Detailers, the choice comes down to the individual shop in terms of which product they choose to install and when, which is usually dictated by the specific climate the vehicles operate in and how they are used. Different approach to a daily driver vs a weekend toy car for example. Or different approach for a fair weather car vs a daily driver seeing all 4 seasons.

Hope that helps!

2. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Wouldn't CanCoat fit that requirement?
    Perhaps but Skin just makes the paint so slick and so hydrophobic I wish that was available to be used with other products or even by itself. My Syncro coating is 5 months old so it's going great at this point but will be sad when it doesn't react the same way and I can't just re-apply Skin over it. I guess at that point I would consider CanCoat.
    Bruno Soares

4. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Slickness is all a matter of opinion, but CanCoat is in no way grabby. As far as the hydrophobic properties, the only think I've experienced which comes close is CQuartz UK. It's pretty amazing. From a durability standpoint, it might be a wash between Skin and CanCoat, but I'm going on six months right now with CanCoat and its still going strong.

Due to the lack of Skin being available for sale by itself, it might be a better bet to go with Mohs and top with CanCoat since CanCoat is readily available and seems to offer a nearly identical experience.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't CanCoat fit that requirement?
    Skin is the slickest top coat I’ve used and there is no comparison when it comes to CanCoat in that regard.

Skin is also more hydrophobic that CanCoat. Not to mention a better self cleaning effect.

The downside is the Skin seems to fizzle out around the 6-7 month time frame from my experience. Budget experienced the same thing.

CanCoat is fantastic. I got 15 months paired with Gyeon Primer Polish.

CanCoat is a good choice to top Mohs since the water behavior of Mohs is a bit underwhelming. Let’s not forget the topper Booster which is a fluorine based top coat.

8. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff at Gyeon View Post
    As said below, the products you are mentioning are only available within the GYEON Certified Detailer Program and not available on the open market. But to offer some information:

- Q2 MOHS and Q2 BASE are quite different, but designed along the same path. Q2 BASE is a highly reactive single layer base coating designed only to be used in conjunction with a top coat. It is extremely durable and capable in terms of environmental protection and certainly the most advanced coating within the GYEON line.

The difference between Q2 MOHS+ and Q2 DURAFLEX (both using Q2 BASE) are the top coats included in each kit. They are quite different. The outer layer is the layer that see's the world and these two top coats present two very different sets of characteristics.

Flexi: Silicone based top coat, high gloss, very high in water beading, and extremely slick (this is the key factor)
    Phobic: SiO2 based, high gloss, very chemical resistant, designed to promote more sheeting and evacuation of contaminant

Q2 DURABEAD uses 2 layers of the existing Q2 MOHS as the base coating and is topped with Q2 BEAD, which is a fluorine based top coat, does not apply a true additional layer but is a chemical reaction with the underlying Q2 MOHS to promote even more beading and self cleaning.

For the Certified Detailers, the choice comes down to the individual shop in terms of which product they choose to install and when, which is usually dictated by the specific climate the vehicles operate in and how they are used. Different approach to a daily driver vs a weekend toy car for example. Or different approach for a fair weather car vs a daily driver seeing all 4 seasons.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for the info.

I was aware they were for certfied detailers, but I was interested in understanding the differences.

I used Q2 Mohs Kit, the best available at that time, with great results.

I wanted to have all the information to decide if it´s worthy to get the car done by a certified detailer with those products or doing again myself the treatment with the open market available products.

10. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E295 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I was aware they were for certfied detailers, but I was interested in understanding the differences.

I used Q2 Mohs Kit, the best available at that time, with great results.

I wanted to have all the information to decide if it´s worthy to get the car done by a certified detailer with those products or doing again myself the treatment with the open market available products.
    Based on a daily use car, I think my choice would be Q2 Mohs+ (cert. detailer) or Q2 Mohs with cancoat.

Also very atractive Syncro but after some months, with not SKIN available for reload, will be a problem. May be not a good idea to use cancoat on top of syncro after 6/8 months.

I have very little free time so one of my priorities is the long lasting of the treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff at Gyeon View Post
    Good Day!

Very glad SYNCRO is performing well for you. I am continually impressed by that coating system. I would say it is really a thumbs up for SKIN. The slickness and water behavior that SKIN offers is pretty intense.

So Pure and Mohs on their own, both housed in the GYEON Professional category of coatings, are quite different in terms of their chemical makeup.

Mohs:
    - Easier install (in my opinion) but requires 2 layers
    - "harder" coating in the sense that it matters. Though both earn 9h readings which is how we measure vertical hardness, Mohs performs better as a layer of film over your paint that is designed to withstand penetration of UV and chemical damage for an extended period of time. Can Mohs be chemically etched, yes. But it keeps the damage in the coating layer. Great against UV.
    - Very clear, clean, and crisp transfer of light. I always describe the Mohs gloss as crisp as compared to "wet".
    - Can very easily take top coats to alter the look/effect ie: CanCoat, Booster, SKIN.
    - Mohs, based on its chemistry delivers RELATIVELY "thin" layers, hence the minimum 2 layers. But they do not SHRINK! Very important.

Pure:
    - Highly concentrated (80% by volume) SiO2 based coating
    - Extremely glossy
    - Withstands water spotting/etching of the coating itself very well
    - designed as a single layer product
    - Very cool water beading
    - Can also be topped with CanCoat, Booster, and SKIN if you have it available from a SYNCRO kit.
    - Delivers a single thick layer of film build, which also does not shrink as it cures.

Choosing one over the other is super tough and mostly personal preference.

If I am coating my own car, at home in a comfortable well lit garage with low humidity, and the car is silver, blue, red. And if I do not overly care about durability to the extent that I am fine with something that will likely last 2 years on my personal car where it is going to take some action and I am going to re polish and re coat at the 2 year ish mark, then a single layer of Pure is what I would be installing.

If I am in a shop setting where time and money matter, and I am looking to give the customer the most durability possible because this is an investment to them and they won't be polishing and re coating themselves then I am going 2 layers of Mohs.

You can probably install 2 layers of Mohs in the same amount of time as a single layer of Pure (environment depending).

Tough call on which to choose. I would leave it up to the environment. Low light and high humidity, then go with Mohs. Otherwise you're in good shape either way.
    I bought the Syncro kit for brand new Honda Ridgeline. Unfortunately the Mohs just barely had enough in the bottle for one coat - very disappointed knowing that it really needs two coats, (and I applied it carefully sus[ecting what ended up being reality...the instructions said to put on a thick coat and I knew that wasn't going to happen) I moved forward and applied the Skin, knowing that the even tinier bottle wouldn't cover everything. I guess this company thinks that everyone drives small cars. I wish they would've offered at least two sizes since i feel cheated after spending $200 and not getting the full effect. We'll see what Ive got when I start driving it again. But again, very disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLove View Post
    I bought the Syncro kit for brand new Honda Ridgeline. Unfortunately the Mohs just barely had enough in the bottle for one coat - very disappointed knowing that it really needs two coats, (and I applied it carefully sus[ecting what ended up being reality...the instructions said to put on a thick coat and I knew that wasn't going to happen) I moved forward and applied the Skin, knowing that the even tinier bottle wouldn't cover everything. I guess this company thinks that everyone drives small cars. I wish they would've offered at least two sizes since i feel cheated after spending $200 and not getting the full effect. We'll see what Ive got when I start driving it again. But again, very disappointed.
    Wow to use 50ml and only get one coat. A ridgeline does not have that much paint. It is a truck after all and the rear end is missing. I have been able to apply 2 coats of cquartz on a Tahoe using a 30ml bottle.

I was able to coat my dads 2015 Impala (the new body) with 2 coats of Mohs and one coat of Skin easily and it is a large sedan. Even had left over product.

Was this the first coating you have ever applied?

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree. 50ml is enough for several vehicles. I single coated a Toyota Highlander, a BMW 4-series coupe, and a Honda Fit with a 50ml bottle of CQuartz UK.

I wonder if that much coating was applied all at once will function like two coats or whether most of excess product was removed while buffing it out?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if that much coating was applied all at once will function like two coats or whether most of excess product was removed while buffing it out?
    Probably most of it ended up in the towels.
    Bruno Soares

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast