autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Applying Syncro

Post Thanks / Like

Applying Syncro

I applied the 2 coats of MOHS to my boat yesterday and was going to apply the final top coat of Skin today but it’s been raining all day and my boat is in an unheated garage. Even though the temperature is around 60, would all the rain effect my application of Skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Likes Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Applying Syncro

Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    I applied the 2 coats of MOHS to my boat yesterday and was going to apply the final top coat of Skin today but it’s been raining all day and my boat is in an unheated garage. Even though the temperature is around 60, would all the rain effect my application of Skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Hello! The high humidity will affect only the removal time of SKIN. I would be looking to remove the coating a touch faster than if we were in a low humidity environment. I would also wipe each panel with an absorbent microfiber to make sure the working area is as dry as possible (no moisture in the air settling on the surface) right before you apply SKIN. Also, don't go on too heavy with SKIN. I tested not enough product over a panel and too much product over a panel and when using too much I could get it to streak. So a nice moderate amount over a 2' x 2' area and wipe off immediately.

4. Thanks 58LesPaul thanked for this post
    Likes 58LesPaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jeff, Another question. I finished the application and I have about a quarter bottle of Skin left. Can I go back and put a second coat of Skin on some places? If so, It's been a couple days since I last applied it, is there anything I need to do to the panels I want to apply a second coat? Just wipe any dust off with a microfiber?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    Thanks Jeff, Another question. I finished the application and I have about a quarter bottle of Skin left. Can I go back and put a second coat of Skin on some places? If so, It's been a couple days since I last applied it, is there anything I need to do to the panels I want to apply a second coat? Just wipe any dust off with a microfiber?

Thanks
    Good Morning!

Yes you can indeed apply a second layer of SKIN. Pay extra close attention to the removal process and use a bit less product than the first layer. I was able to get SKIN to streak fairly easily when I gave this a try because the initial layer is so slick and repellent. But if I went on lightly and removed immediately I could get it to lay down. I don't know that we are gaining any massive performance increase with a second layer. Personally I would reserve this second layer as a top up further down the road to get slickness back to maximum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff at Gyeon View Post
    Good Morning!

Yes you can indeed apply a second layer of SKIN. Pay extra close attention to the removal process and use a bit less product than the first layer. I was able to get SKIN to streak fairly easily when I gave this a try because the initial layer is so slick and repellent. But if I went on lightly and removed immediately I could get it to lay down. I don't know that we are gaining any massive performance increase with a second layer. Personally I would reserve this second layer as a top up further down the road to get slickness back to maximum.

^^ this. I had to recently repolish a small area of my wife's vehicle and then reapply the full syncro kit. I didn't polish the entire door as I knew/figured I could just reapply and overlap the existing area without issue.

The good news is that I was correct and where I would end up touching the existing layer of Syncro/Skin, the Mohs would clearly NOT bond to it. As I made my way through two coats of Mohs and went to apply Skin, it was the same. The great news is that everything turned out perfectly. After several more hours, I put on a second layer of skin over the repaired section and again overlapped into the original area to ensure the entire panel was protected and good to go.

It's been several weeks now and all is great.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)