autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim

Good Day Good Day,

I thought I'd start a discussion on GYEON quartz Q2 Rim with a bit of How To. GYEON Q2 Rim is formulated specifically for wheels, exhaust tips, and any other high temp areas that you want to keep well protected.

So why would you want a quartz coating on your wheels?:
    - Long term protection, you should see up to a year out of a single layer of Q2 Rim
    - Protection from heavy brake dust
    - Protection from heavy winter driving where salt and mag chloride will build up
    - Easy wash maintenance on intricate wheel designs as the surface will want to release dirt and contaminant

What makes Q2 Rim a good choice?:
    - Easy application. Wipe on and wipe right off.
    - High temperature tolerance-up to 1400 degrees F
    - High gloss finish on painted wheels
    - Increase in "richness" and very healthy sheen on matte and satin finished wheels but will not add much gloss

How To: GYEON quartz Q2 Rim

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim-view_gyeon-1-jpg

First, we want to ensure we have a perfectly clean surface to work with. These Tesla Model S wheels have already been cleaned with GYEON Q2 Iron. Next, give each wheel a thorough wipe down with GYEON Q2 Prep. Q2 Prep will remove all of the cleaners and lubricants from the previous stage of cleaning, whatever that may be, and leave a perfect surface in which to coat.

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim-view_gyeon-3-jpg

I'm using a GYEON Q2 SoftWipe here for Prep removal. I like a very plush towel for this process to absorb and remove the Prep and the material it is breaking down. But any high quality and brand new microfiber will do. We want to make sure the towel is absorbing the material we are asking it to remove. So remember to flip sides often and use multiple towels if necessary to make sure we aren't transferring material from one wheel to the next.

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim-view_gyeon-6-jpg

Once the Prep stage is complete, it's time to apply Q2 Rim. A little tip, when working on wheels it is next to impossible to use the Foam Applicator Blow and Suede as a combo, and just as hard to hold just the Suede in your hands without dropping it every two seconds. So I pull out the rubber band trick. Wearing nitrile gloves so the coating doesn't come in contact with my skin, I fold the Suede in to a nice small square and rubber band it to my index finger. This makes for super easy install and ensures I get in all the cracks and crevices.

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim-view_gyeon-7-jpg

Next I apply a fairly generous amount of Q2 Rim to my finger applicator and start applying to the Wheel. I like to cut the Wheel in to quarters, and work one at a time. So I'll apply Q2 Rim to the upper right quadrant say (from 12 o clock to 3 o clock), and then remove immediately. The only time Rim isn't a joy to install is if it is left on too long. The GYEON coatings perform their initial bond within 3-5 seconds. So Rim can be removed anywhere from 15-20 seconds up to about a minute depending on installation environment. With all coatings, the higher the humidity the faster the coating will release its solvents and start to "flash", so the faster it should be removed.

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim-view_gyeon-8-jpg

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim-view_gyeon-10-jpg

Once applied, I remove with a second GYEON SoftWipe Towel.

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim-view_gyeon-12-jpg

GYEON Q2 Rim should be a fairly straightforward and easy application. You can apply it to any wheel finish safely. You can apply it to exhaust tips as well. It can be layered up to three layers, and once layered delivers some very tight water beading characteristics.

The biggest points to consider when applying Q2 Rim:
    - Make sure the Wheel is well cleaned and prepped
    - Use high quality and brand new Microfibers to make the job as easy as possible
    - Check the humidity, if high then plan on removing the product a bit faster
    - Work in quadrants so your install is controlled and you don't miss any intricate areas

Hope this helps! Glad to answer any questions and would love to hear how everyone is using GYEON Q2 Rim!

2. Thanks The Guz, derek0609, LEDetailing thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1, The Guz, Rmd, zmcgovern45, SWETM and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim

@Jeff at GYEON:

Sir,

I noticed that there are several discrepancies
    between the information that’s contained in
    your above OP...and the information that I
    found via the link: GYEON quartz Q2 Rim
    that was provided to the AGO store.

Thanks in advance for your
    attention to this matter.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

4. Dislikes detailhustler disliked this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

Love the tip Jeff

6. Likes Jeff at Gyeon, LEDetailing liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

@Jeff at GYEON:

Sir,

I noticed that there are several discrepancies between the information that’s contained in your above OP...and the information that I found via the link:

GYEON quartz Q2 Rim

Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter.

Bob

I don't have time to figure out what the discrepancies are but I'm sure if Jeff can investigate we can make sure to update the info on the store page.

8. Likes Jeff at Gyeon, detailhustler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The suede and rubber band tip is awesome!

Thanks for shareing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff at Gyeon View Post
    Good Day Good Day,

Once the Prep stage is complete, it's time to apply Q2 Rim. A little tip, when working on wheels it is next to impossible to use the Foam Applicator Blow and Suede as a combo, and just as hard to hold just the Suede in your hands without dropping it every two seconds. So I pull out the rubber band trick. Wearing nitrile gloves so the coating doesn't come in contact with my skin, I fold the Suede in to a nice small square and rubber band it to my index finger. This makes for super easy install and ensures I get in all the cracks and crevices.

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim-view_gyeon-7-jpg
    Thanks for the write up Jeff. This is a great tip. I am currently using this and as you stated it is very user friendly and easy to apply. Nice and hydrophobic as well. Sure makes the wheels easier to clean.

I have found that Cure and Bathe+ play well with it as a sacrificial layer to the wheel coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    @Jeff at GYEON:

Sir,

I noticed that there are several discrepancies
    between the information that’s contained in
    your above OP...and the information that I
    found via the link: GYEON quartz Q2 Rim

Thanks in advance for your
    attention to this matter.

Bob
    Hi Joaquin,

Thank you for the comment. I'd say there are always minor differences between a product description that is used globally and some real world tips and tricks. I'll go down the list I quickly saw. If you have any others I'm glad to discuss!

1. The AGO page and the GYEON official product description both lists 6 months durability. GYEON is traditionally very conservative on the durability claims, usually describing a worst case scenario with poor maintenance. With good maintenance and a shot of WetCoat here and there I have seen Q2 Rim perform up to a year personally. With the members of this forum likely being a more detail oriented crowd that maintain their vehicles regularly, I thought it best to speak to what they can expect.

2. The AG page mentions a 300 degree Celsius threshold, where the GYEON site states 800 (1472 F). Likely a typo which I'll get with the AG crew on.

3. The removal time stated on the AG site is 2-5 minutes, which is totally fine. Many people wait this long with no issue, otherwise I'm sure we'd hear of it. Personally I like a 30-60 second removal time. The product is dry enough to be removed but is no where near "tacky" as it gets when it starts to cure. Each application environment will be different, and as stated higher humidity will have you wanting to remove sooner. I like it to be as simple as possible, so the 30-60 second time frame works great. The only issue you would have with a 2-5 minute time frame is that it might start to feel tacky. I "quarter" the wheels more so that I don't get ahead of myself or lose track of a start/stop point when working on an intricate wheel. I keep the install area small so I am effective in application. I have done it many times where I've installed to an entire, simpler designed wheel, and removed all at once at the 3 minute mark with no issue. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Did you notice anything else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    The suede and rubber band tip is awesome!

Thanks for shareing!
    No problem! Nick at A Buff and Beyond-Performance Car Care showed me that at a GYEON Detailers Conference a few years ago and I've used it ever since!

13. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, LEDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating rims and tires is *the* largest time saver for me when washing. Wheels used to be an hour long ordeal but now quick hit with pressure wand, quick wipedown with washmitt, rinse and dry...about 5 minutes total. As far as longevity, 2 coats of Gyeon Rim on wife's summer car (chrome wheels, plenty of rain but no snow or salt), applied July 2016...still holding on about 10k miles later. Stuff works.

15. Likes LEDetailing, SWETM, run2jeepn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Coating rims and tires is *the* largest time saver for me when washing. Wheels used to be an hour long ordeal but now quick hit with pressure wand, quick wipedown with washmitt, rinse and dry...about 5 minutes total. As far as longevity, 2 coats of Gyeon Rim on wife's summer car (chrome wheels, plenty of rain but no snow or salt), applied July 2016...still holding on about 10k miles later. Stuff works.
    That's the goal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast