autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to purchase my 1st polisher

Quote Originally Posted by hosaltezza View Post
    I see all these great sales going on and am new to detailing. I am just going to detail my car and my wife car . I've been doing a lot off reading and still have a lot to learn . I am interested in getting a polisher and am thinking about getting the GG6. My question is do i get a GG6 and get a great deal now or just continue reading and learning some more and buy this in the near future? Thanks for your input.
    I'll say what I always do. If you want to buy one machine get the GG6.

If you have unlimited funds, get a G15 and a Rupes Mini. Or a Flex and something like a GG6 or Rupes Mini.

Just remember, you'll need pads, compound/polish, microfiber towels, and everything else.

Get a GG6, a 3.5 inch backing plate and a 5 inch backing plate. Then get a 12 pack of Buff and Shine 4 inch pads and 2 six packs of 5 inch pads.

Or you can cut it in half and get 6 of each size, but you'll need at least 3 cutting and 3 polishing pads.

Like I've also said before - a Porsche is better on the track than a Honda Accord but not everyone can afford a Porsche. Of course tbe Rupes and Flex are better, but if you can't/don't want to spend the extra hundreds of dollars then get the GG6 and you won't do anything wrong.

Learning on a GG6 or Porter Cable is the best way to start. It teaches you the basics for every other machine. One of the points in one of those videos ia that the GG6 is for light correction and applying sealant. That a lie. You can remove anything with a GG6,but it's not like they're going to say, "Yeah these new machines do everything tbe old one did..." and then list all of the other benefits. The GG6 with microfiber pads or even foam pads and really aggressive compounds can get the same results but a little slower.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be my first polisher and wouldn't mind getting the Flex XC 3401 or even the GG BOSS G15 but my concern are is this to much machine for a person who hasn't ever used a polisher and is going to be learning on this polisher .
    Last edited by hosaltezza; 12-03-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: adding to my post

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be my first polisher and wouldn't mind getting the Flex XC 3401 or even the GG BOSS G15 but my concern are is this to much machine for a person who hasn't ever used a polisher and is going to be learning on this polisher .
    as mentioned, the GG6 is a great starting point and one traditional PC-style type polisher that one should have in their arsenal anyway. after a little bit of practice on how much pressure to apply, speeds to use, and proper technique you will start to get the hang of it (practice makes perfect). one thing that has always been emphasized is to do a test spot so you get an idea on how the paint reacts to the combo of pad(s)/liquid(s) you are using before you work your way around the car. once you purchase this, you can get a second polisher in which the G15/21 (cover more ground on larger flat surfaces) would be a great addition to the GG6 (for the more intricate tighter smaller areas). Griot's offers a Lifetime Warranty on their polishers AND have some of the Best no-nonsense Customer Service around period (they back their products). what are you waiting for?!

here's a video from few years ago from a member on here (not sure if he is still active anymore or what name he goes by now) that bought a GG6 and gives his thoughts...
    [ame]youtube.com/watch?v=nByJC_ShuRc[/video]
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    get this now (with a variety of backing plates & pads)..
    GG6

then this later...

Completely the way to go.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Long throws or direct drives are not too much machine for a first polisher. I have no idea where this myth stemmed from. All DA's are safe(ofcourse within reason) and you should buy the best first time round. The more powerful stuff will infact help you to learn faster and correct faster as opposed to the cheaper stuff which will also vibrate more. The only time you should be concerned is jumping straight into a rotary without much polishing experience. You will regret not buying the better stuff initially. Why prolong the inevitable or go through the unnecessary motions? Don't fall for bullish marketing or scare tactics, you will be just fine getting a better polisher from the get go.

Mike Phillips

The budget is no issue at all I don't mind spending the money . I wanna learn how to properly use the polisher with out causing and damage to my cars.
    Good plan. I agree with VISITOR in that everyone should own a traditional dual action polisher be it a Porter Cable 7424XP or a GG6. They are easy to learn how to use and MASTER. And this is what you want to do... master the tool so you can make it dance on the paint.

MILLIONS of cars have been buffed out and by buffed out I mean de-swirled using these simple, entry level tools. MILLIONS.

Simple get a 5" backing plate and stick with the 5.5" foam pads and with time and practice you can tackle anything. Down the road, once you feel comfortable with this first polisher then you can consider adding another tool to your arsenal.

Perhaps I'll be in your area doing one of my new Roadshow Classes and you'll be able to test out the different tools before buying one. That's one of the cool things about my classes.

How much of a learning curve is there on the higher end polishers like the RUPES, FLEX ect ?
    If you're BRAND NEW to machine polishing then starting out with a RUPES polisher might be easier than starting out with a traditional dual action polisher because these tools work very differently.

In my new RUPES book I state then when using the RUPES system you need to forget everything you learned about using the other types of orbital polishers mostly because with RUPES you DON'T press down hard on these polishers for doing correction and polishing work like you do with tools like the PC, GG6 and Flex 3401.

As a beginner is that the way to go, from reading on AG many people have begun with a lower end polisher such as PC or GG6 as a starting point .
    Yep.

I've been using the Porter Cable since it was introduced to the paint polishing world and teaching others to do the same. I've witnessed first hand the evolution of orbital polishers and there's an old saying,

If it ain't broke don't fix it...

Or as my wife says about me,

If it ain't broke... fix it until it is...

Seriously, I don't want to see you get confused over how to start out and part of the issue is there are so many tool options now days and along with these options are opinions - all valid and all good.

A simple dual action polisher is a great way to start and it's SO MUCH BETTER than trying to do all your work by hand.

Plus you can get Nanoskin Autoscrub pads and using your polisher to mechanically decontaminate paint instead of claying by hand.

A little hands-on training goes a LONG ways to flattening out the learning curve when it comes to using these other tools.

In my 3-day classes I lay all the tools out on table along a wall in our garage. They are laid out in order of easiest to use to requires the most technique to use and the Porter Cable and GG6 type tools are first in the order because they are the EASIEST tools to learn how to use and master.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Good plan. I agree with VISITOR in that everyone should own a traditional dual action polisher be it a Porter Cable 7424XP or a GG6. They are easy to learn how to use and MASTER. And this is what you want to do... master the tool so you can make it dance on the paint.

MILLIONS of cars have been buffed out and by buffed out I mean de-swirled using these simple, entry level tools. MILLIONS.

Simple get a 5" backing plate and stick with the 5.5" foam pads and with time and practice you can tackle anything. Down the road, once you feel comfortable with this first polisher then you can consider adding another tool to your arsenal.

Perhaps I'll be in your area doing one of my new Roadshow Classes and you'll be able to test out the different tools before buying one. That's one of the cool things about my classes.

If you're BRAND NEW to machine polishing then starting out with a RUPES polisher might be easier than starting out with a traditional dual action polisher because these tools work very differently.

In my new RUPES book I state then when using the RUPES system you need to forget everything you learned about using the other types of orbital polishers mostly because with RUPES you DON'T press down hard on these polishers for doing correction and polishing work like you do with tools like the PC, GG6 and Flex 3401.

Yep.

I've been using the Porter Cable since it was introduced to the paint polishing world and teaching others to do the same. I've witnessed first hand the evolution of orbital polishers and there's an old saying,

If it ain't broke don't fix it...

Or as my wife says about me,

If it ain't broke... fix it until it is...

Seriously, I don't want to see you get confused over how to start out and part of the issue is there are so many tool options now days and along with these options are opinions - all valid and all good.

A simple dual action polisher is a great way to start and it's SO MUCH BETTER than trying to do all your work by hand.

Plus you can get Nanoskin Autoscrub pads and using your polisher to mechanically decontaminate paint instead of claying by hand.

A little hands-on training goes a LONG ways to flattening out the learning curve when it comes to using these other tools.

In my 3-day classes I lay all the tools out on table along a wall in our garage. They are laid out in order of easiest to use to requires the most technique to use and the Porter Cable and GG6 type tools are first in the order because they are the EASIEST tools to learn how to use and master.

Mike thanks for your input. If you ever bring the Roadshow class up to the trip state area ill be there. So as a beginner i should be fine with the Rupes LHR 15ES & your book How to use the Rupes ?

Post Thanks / Like

hosaltezza--If you're going the route of a long throw polisher you might want to take a look a the Griots G15--has all the power you'll need, but most importantly has a lifetime warranty. IMO this is important for those of us just taking care of our own cars (with a friend or relatives car from time to time). If the polisher should break down 3 or 4 years from now you just call Griots and they will take care of you.

Also, don't forget with a long throw like the G15 or Rupes you still need a traditional short throw polisher with 3 or 4" pads to do the tight areas. You could always pick up a Harbor Frieght for about $50.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also researching for my first polisher. Does this product comes with a backing plate already and say I would just buy a CG orange hex pad and stick to it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats my thoughts i thinking I'm going to go with what VISITOR & MIKE suggested GG6 to start me out and learn on that and as everyone on here has reminded the Griots warrant is awesome .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast