autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Please help me find a mini-polisher

I just got a Flex 3401 earlier this year. But now that I'm finally polishing my little Miata, I can see quite a few areas I will have trouble polishing with the 5" Hybrid pads (around number plate, bumpers, and along bottom panels low down, etc.). I have a wonky elbow so want to avoid too much hand polishing (I'm also a small female with not a lot of upper body strength so not sure I could even polish by hand!)

The 3401 is quite heavy for me although I get just fine with the large horizontal panels. But I'd love a mini version, lighter, and with 2" pads.

I would be using WG Finishing Glaze as my most aggressive product; the car is very hazy but with the Flex, I'm loving the result. (I expect to apply Fusion wax by hand.) Our other car (Ford Escape) could also use a light polish too, when I have time.

Is the PE8 is the right mini-polisher for this use? I've seen people mention that it can create holograms but not sure if that's because of the combination of product/pad used?

I've also looked at the Griot's 3" Orbital Polisher (I'd prefer 2" size but the price is right). The Rupes LHR75 looks interesting too, but also pricey.

Ideally I could find an electric mini polisher with 2 or 3" pads that could also be fitted with "scrubbing" pads to clean our water feature that gets green with slime. Is there such a thing? (I used to have a Black & Decker battery powered scrubbing machine but it was useless; they don't even sell it now.) Since my DH usually cleans the water feature, I could justify another tool if it could also scrub stuff!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please help me find a mini-polisher

The Griot's 3" is not very powerful, it does ok with microfiber pads. There is a Griot's yellow scrubbing pad available for it. Griot's Garage 3 Inch Yellow Scrubbing Pads, coarse cleaning pads, orbital scrubbing pads

I'll be interested to hear what some other suggestions are.

Post Thanks / Like

Check this out. I made this because I didn't have any air powered tools and thought outside the box to see what I could come out with. This modification could be done with a Porter Cable, Meguiar's G110v2, Griot's 6", Etc..., but I find that the PC, G110v2, Griots 6" have a lot of power when taken down to 3"s so with a 2" modification it would be pretty dang strong.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html

and welcome!

I was just being silly when I titled the thread "The Hernandez Polisher" btw lol, another member called it that, so thought it was funny and used it lol.

Also, Kevin Brown from BuffDaddy seems to be making similar extensions and modification also, not sure what he has going on though. However, you can always Google him and give him a call.

Post Thanks / Like

The Griot's 3" polisher can do some minor correction with Meg's MF pads, but it will take forever to remove anything deep.

2" machines/pads are very rare to find which makes them more expensive. I believe the only one that is easy to get is the Flex in that size.

Instead of getting a specified mini polisher I would suggest getting a PC 7424xp with a 3" backing plate. This also allows you to use the PC with bigger pads whenever you don't want to drag the Flex out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Rupes LHR-75e that I use on tight spots and pillars. It's pricy but fantastic! Plenty powerful and at times I feel like it finishes a bit better than my Rupes 21. I'd also like a PE-8 at some point but I'm very happy with the Rupes Mini.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post
    I have a Rupes LHR-75e that I use on tight spots and pillars.
    Do you use the Rupes pads? Those wind up being 4", right, since they taper out from the backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IOMCAMARO View Post
    Instead of getting a specified mini polisher I would suggest getting a PC 7424xp with a 3" backing plate. This also allows you to use the PC with bigger pads whenever you don't want to drag the Flex out.
    Plus you could use a carpet brush to scrub your algae.
    Quote Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post
    I have a Rupes LHR-75e that I use on tight spots and pillars. It's pricy but fantastic! Plenty powerful and at times I feel like it finishes a bit better than my Rupes 21. I'd also like a PE-8 at some point but I'm very happy with the Rupes Mini.
    I also love the Rupes Mini, but the Flex PE-8 can use 1"-2" pads for really tight areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Do you use the Rupes pads? Those wind up being 4", right, since they taper out from the backing plate?

I have some Rupes pads and also Mirka foam pads which are 3" and Meg's 3" mc discs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. So for 2" size, the PE8 is it.

Do you think it will work well for the job I'm doing? If I see holograms, what do you do then?

Are there any scrubbing pads that would work for the Flex?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QuinGold View Post
    Thanks all. So for 2" size, the PE8 is it.

Do you think it will work well for the job I'm doing? If I see holograms, what do you do then?

Are there any scrubbing pads that would work for the Flex?!
    I have the PE8 Kompakt and have never had an issue with "Holograms". If you use the Flex 3401 you should have no issue at all with the "hologramming" issue.

If you know how to use a DA pretty well then you should be able to use the PE8. IMO, the PE8 is an awesome rotary. The only problem you will encounter is splatter with the 1" Pads and 2" Pads. The 3" Pad is more controllable for me. I think it's because the pads are so small.

The PE8 is an awesome machine and if you are looking for a mini-polisher then get it.

I have converted my PC7424 XP with 3" Pads and have the adapters to where you can use the smaller 1" and 2" Pads and BP. If you fear the "hologram" issue, then you can have that as a back up.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast