autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Garage 6 Gen 2 DA accident

To my surprise, about 50 hours of use my Gen 2 broke off while I was in Speed setting #6, projected to my metal garage door and dented in about 1 cm deep

It was a very close call and the part where you mount the backing plate separated from the rest of the polisher during high speed

It looks like it was "punched in" from factory and the defect looks like it spun against the body, shearing some metal bits and pieces.

I will post some pictures but I just want to warn everyone that if your DA is "vibrating" or noisier than the usual to inspect and stop using it

I'll be sending it back for repair but worried about Canadian shipping rates and other duty or taxes

I also just bought the Gen 3 to finish the work and it was a night and day difference

My take on it is that prolong usage of the DA in one session causes the heat transfer from the motor to the mechanism causing the metal to gradually expand over time, the slowly separating itself from the rest (I am talking about the nut and rod where you screw in the backing plates)

Thanks for reading and I'll post pictures when I get back from my trip

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage 6 Gen 2 DA accident

To add I usually let the DA cool down for every section passes but it gets really hot on Speed #6 to the point that I have to spray the backing plate Velcro and behind the foam pad so it does not toast my foam pads prematurely

I apply minimal pressure to the DA during the correction and finishing process

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
    To add I usually let the DA cool down for every section passes but it gets really hot on Speed #6 to the point that I have to spray the backing plate Velcro and behind the foam pad so it does not toast my foam pads prematurely

I apply minimal pressure to the DA during the correction and finishing process
    Stick with speed 5 and change pads often.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Griot's Garage 6 Gen 2 DA accident-img_6533-jpg   Griot's Garage 6 Gen 2 DA accident-img_6534-jpg   Griot's Garage 6 Gen 2 DA accident-img_6535-jpg   Griot's Garage 6 Gen 2 DA accident-img_6536-jpg   Griot's Garage 6 Gen 2 DA accident-img_6537-jpg   Griot's Garage 6 Gen 2 DA accident-img_6540-copy-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Lucky it didn't hit a car window, light or something else fragile. I assume they'll take care of it under warranty.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That is spooky! The piece hat went flying is no light weight piece either.

GG has a lifetime warranty so hello new DA.

Sorry to see that but glad you did not get hurt.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Someone posted a picture just like that last week, but it was a Harbor Freight machine.

With an manufactured product you are going to have an occasional problem.

sorry about the problem. Glad that shaft didn't skip across the paint and instill deep scratches.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy CRAP!

That could have been terribly expensive.

That shaft/bearing looks like it had a bit of rust as well. Hmmm.... makes me wonder for sure. I think I'll be pulling mine apart and shooting a bit of Lucas gun oil down in there for good measure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Stick with speed 5 and change pads often.
    I recommend this as well. i've never had a need to run at 6. Maybe 5.5 on occasion.

all in all, glad to hear no one got hurt. I would guess GG would sent you a reimbursement since you already purchased a new Gen3 rather than sending you a new machine. They are pretty top notch when it comes to honoring warranty.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is why the late 2nd gen and current 3rd gen GG6 have a sticker on the side of it that says polishing speeds 4-5 instead of 5-6 like it did on the first batch of the 2nd gens. IMO this can happen if you're running any traditional pc-style DA on speed 6, especially for long period of time. i remember hearing about the shaft breaking off on quite a few of the pcxp's more than anything quite a few years ago. thanks goodness griots has a great warranty and customer service and will make things right...

p.s. besides the outer cosmetic change, can anyone confirm that the 3rd gen GG6 is not as powerful as the first 2nd gens?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast