autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

G15 or G21 on large SUV?

Hi everyone,

Please help this newbie out. I currently have a G9, I use it to care for a GX460 & a Prius. The Prius doesn't take long but boy the GX460 took a long time. We also just acquired a new Navigator and it is a lot bigger than the GX460, I can't imagine how long it would take to polish the Navi when the GX460 already took a long time with the G9. I will buy a G8 and either a G15 or G21. What do you guys suggest I should get? I know the G21 has a longer throw that makes it quicker than a G15 but from what I've read ppl say it isn't as good as the last gen G21. I'd like to stick to Griots polishers since I already have a lot of BOSS 5" pads. TIA everyone for your inputs.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G15 or G21 on large SUV?

If you have alot of big flat panel i would go with the 21 and hit the curves with the 8 or 9.

I have the old g15 and still took some time on a small SUV.

I’ve read the same on the old vs new BOSS polishers but with the huge price drop I kinda expected some quality difference..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    If you have alot of big flat panel i would go with the 21 and hit the curves with the 8 or 9.

I have the old g15 and still took some time on a small SUV.

I’ve read the same on the old vs new BOSS polishers but with the huge price drop I kinda expected some quality difference..

How long do you think is the proper amount of time it would take to do a 1 step on a big SUV like the Navigator, excluding clay & wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tt061880 View Post
    How long do you think is the proper amount of time it would take to do a 1 step on a big SUV like the Navigator, excluding clay & wash?
    A lot of things to factor here.

*What is the condition of the paint? (i.e is it hammered? Like new?)

*What color is the vehicle? (Black? Light-colored or metallic?)

*What are your expectations when done? (90% correction? Show car quality?)
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tt061880 View Post
    Haven’t done something that big but a small SUV takes me 3-4 hours with a one step.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    A lot of things to factor here.

*What is the condition of the paint? (i.e is it hammered? Like new?)

*What color is the vehicle? (Black? Light-colored or metallic?)

*What are your expectations when done? (90% correction? Show car quality?)

The Navi is new, paint just have light scratches from the dealer running through the carwash which I forgot to tell them not to. It is black, and 90% correction is more than enough for me. I don't know if Lincoln paint is soft or hard but from the look it has metallic in it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Haven’t done something that big but a small SUV takes me 3-4 hours with a one step.

It takes me a whole day to do my GX460. I find that the pad stall a lot of time, I guess I didn't do it right. I just looked at my Navi earlier, despite it looking so big, it actually has a lot of curves. Maybe the G15 is good enough since the G21 stall easier?

8. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. I was surprised at just how many little curves/angles my wife’s ‘14 Navigator L has when I first corrected it.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a new G21, I’ve got the Gen 1 G21 and Gen 2 G15. IMO the G15 will be better all around for you with your current and future stable of cars. Only reason I’m getting the newer G21 is to speed up customer cars with big sections, and the interchangeable cords make that a breeze.

HI NICK!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a new G21, I’ve got the Gen 1 G21 and Gen 2 G15. IMO the G15 will be better all around for you with your current and future stable of cars. Only reason I’m getting the newer G21 is to speed up customer cars with big sections, and the interchangeable cords make that a breeze.

HI NICK!!
    How much time do you save on average by using the G21 vs G15? I leaning toward the G15 since it already come with the 5 backing plate but I don't mind spend extra to get the G21 and swap out the backing plate if it save time. Also, after using either G15/21 with say GG correction cream or fast correction cream, do I need to follow up with anything or they can finish really well themselves? I've only used the the correction cream with the the BOSS orange pads with the G8 and they finish really well for a 1 step.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast