autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots G9 worth it? advice please

5" pads are cheaper as well so the 5" backing plate will eventually pay for itself.

Post Thanks / Like

I can chime in having had a first and third gen GG6 (the predecessors to the G9) as well as a G9 (and G8, but I'll stay on topic).

I'm gonna go the other way a bit here and say that a 5" plate on the G9 isn't the only way to use it.

I feel like the recommendation to go straight to a 5" backing plate and thin pads goes back to the previous generation machines (both Griot's and Porter Cable). The 8mm stroke probably didn't come into play as much, but the lower power of previous machines definitely played into the thin pads being needed to keep pad rotation up.

What I've found with my G9 is that with the extra power as well as the digital speed controller they use, a thin 5" pad isn't mandatory for good results. To the contrary, I've been finding there are times it's actually easier to keep the pad spinning with a thick 6.5" pad - namely tighter body contours like on the hood/front fender area of my wife's Q5 or curved surfaces like on more conventional fender profiles.

If you go the 5" route (which I do honestly recommend having on hand as well - you can never have too many pads, and it's nice to have the flexibility of options!), definitely stick with the Griot's 5" backing plate made specifically for the G9 - the backing plate is designed into the cooling system for the machine.

I'm just a hobbyist, but this has been my experience. If Sizzle runs a 5" plate, I'm inclined to spend more time working with my 5" pads next time I get a chance to run my machine, as he's got waaaaaay more hours behind a polisher than I do!

For pads, I use the Griot's stuff for simplicity's sake - Mainly Orange (both standard thickness and BOSS thins). I've also used their BOSS microfiber and Fast Finishing microfiber pads. I've got hard Audi paint, so I haven't used my yellow pads much. Recently picked up a couple white Fast Correcting pads but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

From what I gather from what I've read, the Orange Griot's pads tend to be a little on the softer side if you're looking for a cutting pad, so depending on what your Camaro's paint is like you can decide if they sound like a good match or not. I'm not familiar with other brand pads so I can't make any recommendations there. I'm also not familiar with the Menz polishes, I use the BOSS creams.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I can chime in having had a first and third gen GG6 (the predecessors to the G9) as well as a G9 (and G8, but I'll stay on topic).

I'm gonna go the other way a bit here and say that a 5" plate on the G9 isn't the only way to use it.

I feel like the recommendation to go straight to a 5" backing plate and thin pads goes back to the previous generation machines (both Griot's and Porter Cable). The 8mm stroke probably didn't come into play as much, but the lower power of previous machines definitely played into the thin pads being needed to keep pad rotation up.

What I've found with my G9 is that with the extra power as well as the digital speed controller they use, a thin 5" pad isn't mandatory for good results. To the contrary, I've been finding there are times it's actually easier to keep the pad spinning with a thick 6.5" pad - namely tighter body contours like on the hood/front fender area of my wife's Q5 or curved surfaces like on more conventional fender profiles.

If you go the 5" route (which I do honestly recommend having on hand as well - you can never have too many pads, and it's nice to have the flexibility of options!), definitely stick with the Griot's 5" backing plate made specifically for the G9 - the backing plate is designed into the cooling system for the machine.

I'm just a hobbyist, but this has been my experience. If Sizzle runs a 5" plate, I'm inclined to spend more time working with my 5" pads next time I get a chance to run my machine, as he's got waaaaaay more hours behind a polisher than I do!

For pads, I use the Griot's stuff for simplicity's sake - Mainly Orange (both standard thickness and BOSS thins). I've also used their BOSS microfiber and Fast Finishing microfiber pads. I've got hard Audi paint, so I haven't used my yellow pads much. Recently picked up a couple white Fast Correcting pads but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

From what I gather from what I've read, the Orange Griot's pads tend to be a little on the softer side if you're looking for a cutting pad, so depending on what your Camaro's paint is like you can decide if they sound like a good match or not. I'm not familiar with other brand pads so I can't make any recommendations there. I'm also not familiar with the Menz polishes, I use the BOSS creams.
    I haven't tested it or anything but i personally "think" the orange BOSS pad as more cut then both lake country's SDO orange and rupes yellow foam. The foam itself is sharper to the feel and it's harder to compress then the other 2 pads. I find the pad too dry and stiff personally but it worked great a few years ago. The results are there of course.

Just an observation.

The white foam is super course. I will get a Blue SDO pad today in the post - finally - and i'm thinking it will be softer/less sharp then the BOSS white pad.

Edit: Just got the blue SDO! Beautiful color and it feels less aggressive then the BOSS white pad.

5. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

I agree with this whole post, 100%.

The G9 has all the balls to churn a 6" set-up, no question.

Mr. Snoop mentioned that the 5" set up (plate/pads) are cheaper, and he is correct. This is what I run since I already had all of the 5" pads for my PC & GG6.

As for the BOSS orange pads, I also agree that they seem a "tick" less aggressive than say, a Lake Country orange pad. But not by much at all. And I have no problem reaching for either when I am polishing.

And ditto for the BOSS Creams. They have become my go-to if I need to do any kind of correction.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I agree with this whole post, 100%.

The G9 has all the balls to churn a 6" set-up, no question.

Mr. Snoop mentioned that the 5" set up (plate/pads) are cheaper, and he is correct. This is what I run since I already had all of the 5" pads for my PC & GG6.

As for the BOSS orange pads, I also agree that they seem a "tick" less aggressive than say, a Lake Country orange pad. But not by much at all. And I have no problem reaching for either when I am polishing.

And ditto for the BOSS Creams. They have become my go-to if I need to do any kind of correction.
    One thing i learn the last few days not all lake country orange pads are the same according to their aggression charts.

For instance the LC orange flat + CCS pads are 6/10 cut and 6/10 finish but the HDO/SDO line the orange is rated at 6/10 cut + 9/10 finish.

https://www.lakecountrymfg.com/20190909-LCM-Catalog.pdf

I really like the SDO pads, i have the blue and orange now. They are my favorite pads. The rupes pads are nice too but i like the smaller face and the little extra softness of the SDO pads. I like both lineups better then the BOSS pads. Which i first started with 3 years ago.

Not sure if its buff and shine or lake country that makes the BOSS pads..I'm guessing lake country.

Post Thanks / Like

Love my G9 !!

9. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear about the G9. I have a rotary and a PC right now but was planning on a getting a G9 in the spring.
    I have a Autopia gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

how often can you polish a car with the Griots G9 before it damages/reduces the clear coat? Once every few months?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim500 View Post
    how often can you polish a car with the Griots G9 before it damages/reduces the clear coat? Once every few months?
    60 times.

13. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes opie, PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim500 View Post
    if you use quality products and use good technique when washing and drying the car, you shouldn't need to polish often...
    i am the jump starter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast