autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

long throw and product application

The great people at Griot's clearly state that their long throw polishers are not -ideally- suited for applications waxes/sealants due to heat build up, accepting this is the 15mm perhaps better suited than the 21 (.59 compared to .86" inch ?) for applications or is the phenomena observed regardless of length of throw?

Mike Phillips

Re: long throw and product application

Quote Originally Posted by usernamed View Post

The great people at Griot's clearly state that their long throw polishers are not -ideally- suited for applications waxes/sealants due to heat build up,

Doesn't sound right to me.

Depends on the type of wax or sealant and how you're applying it. This is why when I type, I've VERY SPECIFIC with each and every word I choose and use.

There are two general categories of waxes and sealants

Cleaner/Waxes - AIOs - Cleaner/Sealants - Different names for the same thing

Products that clean and/or abrade the paint and also leaving the surface sealed. You would use this on a car with paint in NEGLECTED condition and when machine applying this type of product part of the goal is to remove swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation. Thus you will be WORKING the product over the surface and creating heat and thus want LOTS of pads.

Show Car Waxes - Show Car Sealants - Finishing Waxes - Finishing Sealants

Products that ONLY seal the surface. They are intended to be used on paint that is in GREAT condition. Thus it doesn't need any correction. For this type of wax your goal is to simply apply and spread over the paint a uniform layer of the product. You're NOT going to WORK the product. Thus no heat will be created and you do an entire car with one pad.

I teach all the above in my classes. I point this out just because I always see experts saying you can learn everything you need to know by watching YouTube videos and while they are a great resources, there's nothing like taking one of my classes where I do a Brain Dump. Imagine taking a class where everyone of the articles, reviews or even in-depth replies is spilled into the class?:

I love Richard Griot and all his team and many of his team are long-time friends and very good friends. So I'm not going to say what you've posted is wrong, but I will say that I've used long-stroke free spinning random orbital polishers to apply both categories of product with ZERO issues.

Don't know if this helps?

By the way,

What are you working on?

What condition is the paint?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Post Thanks / Like

I have also heard that from one of the videos Griot's posted, saying the longest throw they'd recommend to apply a wax is the G9. 15/21mm were not recommended to apply wax.

Having said that, I'd use them no problem with an AIO. As a wax spreader, maybe use a short throw machine or hand apply if you don't want to chance it with the long throw models.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Tnks for the replies-should anyone wish to confirm the advisory regarding the long throw machines the info is clearly posted on the Company website-

G15 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher

- Griot's Garage

select more details

should see this

"It should be noted that long-throw polishers are not ideally suited for application of waxes and sealants. Their large throw tends to cure the wax unevenly with the esceptionof our Boss Finishing Sealant whose formula is designed to comply with the heat cycling of long-throw orbits. The G8 or G9 are our most suitable tools for wax applications"

Research has yielded a general consensus (?) that pad stall will result in those free wheeling machines with an orbit range of 8mm or so.

Additional help much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

To apply a wax pad stall is not an issue, you won’t put any pressure on the polisher and will end up using speed 2 or 3, just enough to keep the pad gliding. If it’s stalling it’s either too slow or you’re putting pressure on the polisher.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Without rotation will there still be a uniform amount of whatever put onto the surface ?

My questions come from a need to replace a failed buffer not for a specific vehicle or existing issues-use will be for hobby rather than business but I always buy the most tool I am able .

Mike Phillips

"It should be noted that long-throw polishers are not ideally suited for application of waxes and sealants. Their large throw tends to cure the wax unevenly with the esception of our Boss Finishing Sealant whose formula is designed to comply with the heat cycling of long-throw orbits. The G8 or G9 are our most suitable tools for wax applications"

Research has yielded a general consensus (?) that pad stall will result in those free wheeling machines with an orbit range of 8mm or so.

The above makes sense but from my experience - it's not a problem.

They reference their BOSS Finishing Sealant and this is like a one-step cleaner/wax and in most case you ARE going to WORK it over the paint as a follow-up step to a more aggressive paint correction step using one of the other BOSS products.

But for a lot of other one-step products - NON-Griot's - I just haven't seen it as an issue. Also - I was speaking from a "bigger picture point of view" that was referencing products in general, not a specific Griot's project. Just wanted to add this.

One thing for sure, Griot's makes great products. They make great abrasive technology as well as all their other stuff. You can't go wrong.

Mike Phillips

Without rotation will there still be a uniform amount of whatever put onto the surface ?

My questions come from a need to replace a failed buffer not for a specific vehicle or existing issues-use will be for hobby rather than business but I always buy the most tool I am able .

The answer is "yes".

If applying a NON-cleaning wax or sealant, then pad rotation is not important or vital as you're just spreading out a layer of product.

If applying an AIO type product, then "yes" you need pad rotation to do the correction work.

From what you've shared, I would look at the Griot's G9 instead of the BOSS 15 and 21.

I just demonstrated this tool to damp sand here. Lots of power. Less pad stalling issues due to the short stroke too.

Learn to machine sand TODAY! LIVE Detailing Class at 3:00pm Eastern Time

Post Thanks / Like

I would think the only reason Griot's would not recommend the 15/21 for wax application would be solely the "Idiot-proofing" factor.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Bruno Soares, DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To all I thank you again. Mike, if I may take up a bit more of your time-I have used the Klasse twins for more years than I care to remember-with this info could you please recommend a machine / backing plate(s)/ and pads? as this is a retirement gift the Mrs. has 'authorized' an amount which would cover any buffer or combo of buffers currently available as she, in her own description, places this expenditure in the 'minor' category-what a gal!.

Of course I understand that any purchase is ultimately done at my own risk and would not expect any guarantee of satisfaction or suitability for intended application.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast