autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: long throw and product application

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

I would think the only reason Griot's would not recommend the 15/21 for wax application would be solely the "Idiot-proofing" factor.
    I agree. So many mind-blank people in the world today it forces companies to bubba-proof everything to the Nth degree.

Back when I worked at Meguiar's - a guy bought Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax and used it on his Chevy Avalanche. He applied it to the ENTIRE outside of the Avalanche including all the pebble textured plastic cladding. Of course it dried white, stained the plastic and was difficult to remove.

He contacted Customer Care to complain. When they asked him,

Why did you apply the wax to the plastic cladding?

His answer was,

Well, the instructions on the bottle didn't say to NOT apply it to the plastic cladding.

BOOM. The reason companies have to create products and directions and instructions for the lowest common denominators among us.

Quote Originally Posted by usernamed View Post

To all I thank you again.

Mike, if I may take up a bit more of your time-I have used the Klasse twins for more years than I care to remember-with this info could you please recommend a machine / backing plate(s)/ and pads? as this is a retirement gift the Mrs. has 'authorized' an amount which would cover any buffer or combo of buffers currently available as she, in her own description, places this expenditure in the 'minor' category-what a gal!.

Of course I understand that any purchase is ultimately done at my own risk and would not expect any guarantee of satisfaction or suitability for intended application.....

I would go with either the Porter Cable or the Griot's G9. These are are the same type of tool, that is they are short stroke, free spinning random orbital polishers. Very very safe. But when used with good technique, very capable. The Griot's G9 would be the better option. But I'm still a huge fan of the PC.

As for the Klasse Twins? I've used them just enough to know I don't need these two products for the kind of detailing I do. I know a lot of people love them and that's what's so nice about the market place - we can all choose and use the products "we" like.

If you want to get more correction that the Klasse AIO then get a quart of the BLACKFIRE One Step or a pint of the 3D Speed. Both are better one-step type products in my experience that the Klasse AIO.

For a topper, get the BLACKFIRE BlackIce or the 3D Poxy - again - both are better sealing products than the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze.

A few years back we made this video. It really doesn't explain what the different types of polishers are, what they do or why they are different.

Then a few weeks ago Yancy and I made this video. This is accurate information. This video hits the nail on the head. This video tells about your different polisher options and then explains what each "type" of polisher is and how it works.

Here's a good primer video that covers a LOT of topics related to order of steps and correct techniques. This video shows the Porter Cable polisher but you could substitute ANY type or brand of orbital and all the information will still apply.

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

As an update

Ordered and received a Griots G9 with the 5 /2” kit and am convinced that the best choice was made for my needs and feel that this tool most probably fit the requirements of the vast majority of the ‘prosumer’ market.

Customer service was typically Griots package received in four days, nearly across country.

Thanks to all for the help

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're going to be happy with this machine. I've really dug mine, and definitely feel it was an upgrade in experience from the GG6 (which was no slouch!).

One thing I'll say - just because it's a "short throw", don't think you need to stick with just the thin 5.5" pads to get the job done. While that was certainly true back with the earlier machines (PC, GG6, etc), I've been surprised to find times where either a thick 5.5" pad or even a thick 6.5" pad (on the 6" backing plate of course) turns out to be the right pad for a certain spot. Example would be the front fenders/hood on my wife's Q5 - a regular 6.5" pad turned out to be the easiest pad to maintain rotation.

Let us know how it goes!

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

One thing I'll say - just because it's a "short throw", don't think you need to stick with just the thin 5.5" pads to get the job done. While that was certainly true back with the earlier machines (PC, GG6, etc), I've been surprised to find times where either a thick 5.5" pad or even a thick 6.5" pad (on the 6" backing plate of course) turns out to be the right pad for a certain spot. Example would be the front fenders/hood on my wife's Q5 - a regular 6.5" pad turned out to be the easiest pad to maintain rotation.
    This is 100% the truth! The G9 has what feels like twice the power of the old GG6. (And like you said, it was no slouch!)
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Thanks oneheadlite, Epilogts thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12