autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Underpowered BOSS 21 compared to GG6? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    In regards to pad stall on long stroke polishers vs short stroke polishers, this is an article by Mike which probably describes what you are experiencing;

The ghosting footprint and the actual footprint - Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polishers
    I apologize--but I forgot to respond back to this! Thanks for the link. Makes it a bit easier to understand what is going on and why the 'pad stall' from the sounds of it.

Anyway--an update: I spoke with Griots customers service, who may I add is the best! I let the woman know a bit about my situation, and what her thoughts were on what could be going on--she said it's either the brushes or the backing plate. After I letting her know the machine was working better/like it should using the 6 inch, she agreed to sending me a new 5 inch backing plate!

No pics needed, no 'send the failing plate in for inspection' or anything like that.... one word for tehir customers service--AWESOME!

She also mentioned for her personal machine (she has the 21 older model BOSS), she suggested I look into taking off the shroud completely because thats what she does to avoid rubbing or using washers. She said you just peel it back and slips off. I had no idea!

This is something I may try when using the machine next...but decided to whip out the 21 BOSS and see what she was talking about. It really does pull off pretty easily!

Posting this up for anyone that may be interested in trying this out in the future who may have the same issue as I had. This for sure would fix the 'rubbing against the shroud' issue so may not need spacer at all!

And after doing some more reading on this, I saw some people suggested cutting it that 'lip' with a razor blade too. But this is one way to just take it out of the mix completely without having to permanently do anything to your machine! Food for thought...

Edit: Is there any maintenance I need to do with the metal parts shown below?

2. Thanks fly07sti, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update:

So received my replacement BOSS 5 inch plate tonight. Thanks again to Griots and their awesome customers service.

Some accompanying pics below.

Here is a pic of the new 5 inch plate:

In comparison, here's the old 5 inch plate:

And here's the older version side by side with the 'new' plate:

Anyone notice any differences? It looks like the material in the middle that mates to the machine is different, right? I am assuming this must be some type of 'update' compared to the older version?

I also was given a new 'screw' but strangely enough, the old key that I use didn't work because it's a difference size. Luckily I had the right Allen key for it here. I tried to screw it in with the old washer and the screw wouldn't go in all the way!

That has me stumped. Is that a screw for a newer machine or something? Is that why it isn't working? It's longer than the original screw.

And here's a pic showing the two screws from the top (and how they're two different Allen sizes). Black is the new screw.

Last question. Do I need to have a washer in the back now that I will probably try this machine without the 'dust' cover? Or am I OK just running it without any washers at all (on the back side)?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably best to not use a spacer washer if you don’t need to.
    Bruno Soares

5. Thanks Matador thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Will def be running it without the washer/spacer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Update:

So received my replacement BOSS 5 inch plate tonight. Thanks again to Griots and their awesome customers service.

Some accompanying pics below.

Here is a pic of the new 5 inch plate:

In comparison, here's the old 5 inch plate:

And here's the older version side by side with the 'new' plate:

Anyone notice any differences? It looks like the material in the middle that mates to the machine is different, right? I am assuming this must be some type of 'update' compared to the older version?

I also was given a new 'screw' but strangely enough, the old key that I use didn't work because it's a difference size. Luckily I had the right Allen key for it here. I tried to screw it in with the old washer and the screw wouldn't go in all the way!

That has me stumped. Is that a screw for a newer machine or something? Is that why it isn't working? It's longer than the original screw.

And here's a pic showing the two screws from the top (and how they're two different Allen sizes). Black is the new screw.

Last question. Do I need to have a washer in the back now that I will probably try this machine without the 'dust' cover? Or am I OK just running it without any washers at all (on the back side)?
    Can we get a pic of the new plate on w/o dust cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Will do! Don't have access to the machine until probably the weekend. Will have a pic when I have a chance to snap one.

9. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Can we get a pic of the new plate on w/o dust cover?

Here:

11. Thanks Coatingsarecrack, Craig Encinitas, seanktm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Here:

Nice.... review once you used please.

13. Likes Matador liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12