autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOSS Pads

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

BOSS Pads

Hi folks, i have the 5.5 inch boss pads that i've been using the last 2 summer seasons.

Is it just me? But the black and light yellow pads are not much different in cut? I even think the black is more course when i slide my finger over it.

Its also hard to get boss pads in canada so i was wondering the equivalent of the boss orange pad.

Mike Phillips

Re: BOSS Pads

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post

Hi folks, i have the 5.5 inch boss pads that i've been using the last 2 summer seasons.

Is it just me? But the black and light yellow pads are not much different in cut? I even think the black is more course when i slide my finger over it.

I use and show these pads a LOT in my classes. They are different. The yellow just is very soft for a "polishing" pad. That's why you'll see me using the orange pads, which are light cutting pads as "polishing" pads. Once ANY brand of foam pad becomes wet with product they loose some of their cut - thus when the light cutting orange BOSS pads become wet with product they become "polishing" pads.

Here's an example of using the Griot's BOSS ORANGE foam pad as polishing pads. Note the number of pads I used to buff out an old 2-door Chevy with 9 panels.

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Its also hard to get boss pads in canada so i was wondering the equivalent of the boss orange pad.

What tool are you using?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I use and show these pads a LOT in my classes. They are different. The yellow just is very soft for a "polishing" pad. That's why you'll see me using the orange pads, which are light cutting pads as "polishing" pads. Once ANY brand of foam pad becomes wet with product they loose some of their cut - thus when the light cutting orange BOSS pads become wet with product they become "polishing" pads.

Here's an example of using the Griot's BOSS ORANGE foam pad as polishing pads. Note the number of pads I used to buff out an old 2-door Chevy with 9 panels.

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

What tool are you using?

I have a first gen G15 and the new G8.

Just to play devil's advocate, everytime i polished my car i never had a wet pad, i use just a small amount of product. And clean pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a first gen G15 and the new G8.

Just to play devil's advocate, everytime i polished my car i never had a wet pad, i use just a small amount of product. And clean pads.
    Bot wet as in soaking wet. Wet as in when your polishing most product spreads out on paint but as you use pad gets saturated/wet with product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the equivalent of the boss orange pad? Really hard to get in Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the equivalent of the boss orange pad? Really hard to get in Canada.
    The Lake Country orange pads have very similar foam (cut). Maybe just a tick more aggressive, but nothing crazy.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    The Lake Country orange pads have very similar foam (cut). Maybe just a tick more aggressive, but nothing crazy.
    Thanks, thats what i ordered - SDO orange. And a rupes DA yellow. See what one i like the best.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally got the SDO orange and yellow rupes. Both pads are thicker then the BOSS pads. While all 3 seems similar in cut. There's definitively differences. I will run some tests later.

Kinda disappointed there so much thicker. But hugely popular so i'm sure they work. I have only ever used BOSS pads.

First impressions, kinda like the increased thickest. lol

After hand washing the 2 pads, its clear that rupes holds more water and will take longer to air dry.

Edit: Rupes yellow fits the BOSS 5 inch backing plate more precisely then SDO orange.

Leaning towards rupes yellow for my main pad. They cover a larger area has well. The tampered edge is a nice touch.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't edit the previous post... Just another observation. The BOSS pads clean up easier and dry quicker then the LC SDO and rupes da yellow. You can't go wrong with 3 of the brands IMHO. I hand wash and air dry.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me what kind of microfiber pad that was included in the first BOSS kits? The fibers are black with a red strip around the pad.

Its relatively high pile thats why i'm wondering how aggressive it really is - megs cutting discs for example are very thin with low pile compared to the BOSS ones i have. I have used it on a junk panel but not much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast