autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing plate failed

I'd assume both parties who claimed they had failure with their Plate here in this thread can perhaps at least compare them.

To the original poster of this thread, I know you made mention of hitting the Pad-Plate with come compressed air. Again, I wouldn't think this should be a cause of separation?

Me, I'm an analytical sort of guy, always the inquisitive one wondering what makes something tick?

In this instance of the new model Boss-15, and an apparent excess of heat is still noted with the machine, even after modifying technique, etc, then I'd begin to think along these lines I'll mention now.

What and why would be the causes of such excessive heat, and would be thinking along the lines, "is it just my Unit, or are all of them exactly the same in this regard?" That would be a question that perhaps only Griot's Tech Team could answer, or if a faulty unit was replaced with another.

My thoughts with any particular machine would then be, "is there a faulty Bearing or Bushing as the cause, or a faulty Motor?" "Or a lack of needed Lubricants in critical areas"?

While one, and in particular, someone like myself would think of an investigative "surgery" to the tool, on the other hand I'll caution that this would also likely void your warrantee.

I would then assume that Griots would recognize when in time a customer issued an initial complaint-case, and such would be take into consideration at a much later date should the machine continue to falter-fail.

In other words, 3-4 months into ownership, Griots isn't going to drop you like a bad habit, and that some other issue as a cause is apparent.

Post Thanks / Like

As an example, one of my Griots Machines seemed to develop an issue shortly after being placed into service.

It is my GG-3, and after about 40-50 minutes of light use at the very most seemed to get much noisier, and rough running.

This was a Tool I bought from an Ebay Seller, listed as brand new for the price of $65 shipped, and it was evident this was not a used, or re-furb unit, but brand spanking new.

I decided to operate! And upon inspection found both Brushes broken in half. Hmmm, vely intelesting! LOL

While the Grease-Lube looked to be of a good quality, similar in appearance to Synthetic Super Lube, the Gears were bone dry, and perhaps slung from the Gears by centrifugal force?

I had the new set of replacement Brushes, so that was good. I removed all existing Greases, and did full re-lube with Super Lube Grease, maybe used a drop of Motor Oil here and there where I thought it might be beneficial, and then went to install the new brushes and re-assemble the 2 Housing Halves.

But ahh, noticed a little "Monkey Wrench", in that while trying to re-assemble, the Brushes didn't wish to stay retained in their little Receptacles. This I then guessed was the cause and reason why a brand new Tool would have its Brushes fail so quickly. That upon factory assembly they became "Cocked" within their Receptacles.

So, I makeshift invented a little way that these Bushes would remain in place in the one Housing Half without causing any hindrance of re-assembly, or the Brushes during operation and as they wear, and simply used a couple of very small strips of Electrical Tape to retain them.

I ran the Polisher in slowly at first, just a few short 2-3 second runs, and all seemed well, The Polisher ran smooth, much more quiet, then tested the machine for about 15 minutes, and all was then fine.

Fast forward to about 4-5 months ago, I contacted Griots, and was able to buy myself a couple sets of Replacement GG3 Brushes to have on hand.

I like that little GG3 a lot, and have no intentions of letting it go.

3. Likes Rod Kraft liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For an update, got my backing plate today! Gonna giver a ride tomorrow.

5. Likes PaulMys, Rod Kraft liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That was fast!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Polished down an entire SUV yesterday with zero heat issues. I was using a Boss foam pad with the center cooling hole, on a few areas I did break out a LC MF pad and there was some heat. So it looks like I'm going to start swapping out my LC's for GG MF pads with the center hole. Polisher ran great, nice and smooth after I swapped out the center bolt for the copper/gold one that's recommended for the 5/8 pads.

Also the ability to have 1 chord for two machines is really quite nice!!
    CFFE311A-CD5B-4435-92F6-7FD755BB6516 by John Wilkinson, on Flickr
    B8F9E480-199F-4F9E-9E9A-AD32F1F4B2DB by John Wilkinson, on Flickr9ED25CCA-7469-4FA4-A52F-0B67DF2894C3 by John Wilkinson, on Flickr

8. Likes PaulMys, Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great to hear! Do you think the new Plate was different than the old?

Perhaps a number of factors contributed to your earlier attempts? The Pads, a learning curve with the new machine, and who knows what else?

Maybe all machines need a little run in time to break in some?

Your experiences and other member's comments have also made me open my eyes some, and this has been a learning experience.

In that yeah, when I first started with the D/A's, I once ruined a pad by over-working it, and probably too high a speed as well.

It was a 4" Pad, I think a LC CCS Pad. And where did the Pad take the beating at? The very center.

That it might not just be your machine, or any other certain machine that might not only benefit from Polishing Pads with a central hole, very possibly all of them might!

Thus, I'm going to keep your experiences and others in mind next time I purchase Pads, and I will try these type Pads myself.

That if both machines and pads can benefit from running cooler, then that's a win-win situation in my eyes.

Oddly, I've used such Pads on Rotarys, never really gave it much of a thought to try such on the D/A machines. Now I definitely will!

Again, very glad to hear all is working out for you!

Post Thanks / Like

I think a big part of it was learning curve.

This machine is so much stronger than other DA’s I’ve used, so with that comes heat. I’m used to using a slower machine with,let’s call it closed loop cooling pads, when I upgraded to the stronger machine that maybe needed an open loop cooling pad was where things got wonky. And ALL of Griots new pads have that cooling hole, as does Rupes and other major player brands.

Love the machine! Very comfortable and it isn’t near as loud as my old G21. Was able to polish without any ear buds in for music. Would buy this again! Now I got my eye on the 3” rotary from GG.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One other possible side benefit I didn't think of or mention last post. Also the Heat generated on a body panel.

If a Pad can run cooler, then maybe this can be beneficial to paint to a certain degree as well?

I know at times I commented to myself while polishing and saying "this paint sure feels awful warm!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    "this paint sure feels awful warm!"
    LOL had that happen when I first started, lesson learned there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    I think a big part of it was learning curve. Love the machine! Would buy this again!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast