autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing plate failed

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Thanks for the update. I kind of figured that running at a lower speed would be the correct way. Similar to the Rupes tools with not needing anything above speed 4. I have not had issues using the meguiar's microfiber pads on the Rupes running at speed 4. Swap them out every few panels and blow them out to keep them cool. Doesn't need a lot of pressure either.
    Yep gotta adjust my old tried and true method now

2. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    Just got off the phone with GG, new backing plate is on its way.

Alan, gentlemen I spoke with, told me they use spd 4 for cutting and have never needed spd 6 as it’s overkill. Talked about technique and I mentioned the pads I was using didn’t have the hole, he said the polisher really needs that hole to get rid of the heat. So I’m gonna try and drill a hole I’m a pad and see how it works, probably need to punch it rather than drill....

Either way I’m very happy with the customer service as I knew I would be. Now to slow the machine a bit and see what happens.
    But you stated you weren't using Speed 6, but using Speed 5, correct?

Sorry to sound like a sceptic, and not having further technical data to extrapolate what actually occurred (OPM-Pad in use, technique, speed of Rotation-etc) as such a failure is not being done and compared under controlled test conditions.

One would think and hope that a Backing Plate, and in particular, the Griots Plate which has a boatload of holes punched through it would be much more durable than any Pad attached to it. Yet the Pad didn't fail, the Plate did.

To more accurately state what failed in your particular case, is the Adhesive holding the Velcro Attachment Pad failed and separated due to heat. My question is then, does one single central hole in a Polishing Pad be the sole cause of such a failure? And that this is the culprit to blame for the failure?

How come then, I've not recalled any such failures happening to a conventional LC Yellow Urethane Backing Plate that possesses no holes for cooling, and that there's people out there who'll buff out, or should I say "try" to buff out an entire vehicle with one Pad, literally destroy the Pad in the process, but yet the Backing Plate goes merrily along for the ride with no damage incurred?

Not to mention other design features to enhance cooling with these newfangled Griots Machines, something's just not jiving with me with this one as placing any faults upon Pads, or user error.

I'll assume Griots, and other manufacturer's reasonings for placing holes in the Backing Plate is more likely there to help a Pad remain cooler, correct? That the Pad is the part that is the weak link, no?

It doesn't dismiss in my eyes why the Machine itself had gotten very hot, and in so short a time? And in which way the heat then traveled, from the Pad to the Plate to cause the damage, or originate from the Machine itself?

Were there any other anomalies you noted while in operation, any excessive noise(s), vibration, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

I can of course cite many other factors, but such will take on a more cynical vibe, and would be frowned upon here.

About all that can further be said, is to keep us all posted with future uses with your machine. I am apprehensive to comfortably say that a machine such as this apparently needs to be coddled to get by and get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    But you stated you weren't using Speed 6, but using Speed 5, correct?

Sorry to sound like a sceptic, and not having further technical data to extrapolate what actually occurred (OPM-Pad in use, technique, speed of Rotation-etc) as such a failure is not being done and compared under controlled test conditions.

One would think and hope that a Backing Plate, and in particular, the Griots Plate which has a boatload of holes punched through it would be much more durable than any Pad attached to it. Yet the Pad didn't fail, the Plate did.

To more accurately state what failed in your particular case, is the Adhesive holding the Velcro Attachment Pad failed and separated due to heat. My question is then, does one single central hole in a Polishing Pad be the sole cause of such a failure? And that this is the culprit to blame for the failure?

How come then, I've not recalled any such failures happening to a conventional LC Yellow Urethane Backing Plate that possesses no holes for cooling, and that there's people out there who'll buff out, or should I say "try" to buff out an entire vehicle with one Pad, literally destroy the Pad in the process, but yet the Backing Plate goes merrily along for the ride with no damage incurred?

Not to mention other design features to enhance cooling with these newfangled Griots Machines, something's just not jiving with me with this one as placing any faults upon Pads, or user error.

I'll assume Griots, and other manufacturer's reasonings for placing holes in the Backing Plate is more likely there to help a Pad remain cooler, correct? That the Pad is the part that is the weak link, no?

It doesn't dismiss in my eyes why the Machine itself had gotten very hot, and in so short a time? And in which way the heat then traveled, from the Pad to the Plate to cause the damage, or originate from the Machine itself?

Were there any other anomalies you noted while in operation, any excessive noise(s), vibration, etc?
    I really appreciate the time and thought you took with this.

It was at spd 5 with a lake country MF pad with CarPro’s clear cut when the heat was coming up. I’m not sure what OPMs are at spd 5, but it’s stated at spd 6 to be 5300.

I’m still a little reserved on the machine, I want it to blow me away! Not blow away my pads, so first time use left a lot to be desired.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the into literature of these new Boss Machines, I see mention of either a 6", or optional 5" Backing Plate for the G21.

Yet, combing AG's site, I see no listing anywhere for the 5" Plate? Is such only available through Griots, or did this smaller Plate not come to market?

Which Plate was it that you had?

Please keep us posted with further updates when you can.

(BTW, I own a first version Boss G15)

Post Thanks / Like

Factory G15 with the 5” plate
    G15 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher

- Griot's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add this comment. Griots, if speed 5 or 6 is too powerful then you shouldn't have designed the product with those speed settings because the world is full of Tim "the tool man" Taylor type people who full bore is all they know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    Factory G15 with the 5” plate
    G15 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher

- Griot's Garage
    Ahh, OK, my error for not looking back. Was then thinking the original poster mentioned he had a G21, sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone,

In response to the backing plate failure, we apologize for any inconvenience. We are aware of the issue this has created and assure you we are looking into and have already reached out to those customers involved.

We will stand behind our Lifetime warranty on the Machines and any backing plate failures.

Please reach out to our customer service at 800-345-5789 or email us at, social@griotsgarage.com for any concerns or questions you may have.

Regards,

Rod Kraft
    Area Sales Manager Eastern Region.

11. Likes PaulMys, DUBL0WS6, mc2hill liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Hey Rod,

Thanks for chiming in.

I know I speak for everyone else when I say it means a LOT and builds good faith and trust when a Representitive from any of our vendors actively participates on this forum.

Thank you.

p.s.

We need to get you a cool Avatar. Text me a picture of one of your bitchen cars or Jeeps.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast