autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Backing plate failed

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

It's nice that Mike P is also going above and beyond to help you personally. I suspect a favorable outcome for you.

I sent the link for this thread to Rod Kraft, he was my special guest at the last 3-day bootcamp class we had in September. He's a SUPER guy!

Pictures: 2020 September 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

He replied back and said,

Hi Mike,

I’m on it!

Thanks for sending this!!

I would guess anything, that is any contact from anyone in this thread with Griot's Garage customer care, they are aware of you and this thread. They offer top notch customer service and I believe you can trust them.

I also mentioned to Rod about Bill's experience with his broken backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Update bottom of page 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I also mentioned to Rod about Bill's experience with his broken backing plate
    I appreciate that. With the right plate I can use my polisher with confidence. I have a scratch repair job coming up for a friend.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Thanks bill walsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar experience but I think the pad manufacturer failed me.

Note the pad is NOT carried by AG so lesson learned for me. 5.5" pad on 5" backing plate.

Should have known this pad woukd fail when the prior one deformed and I reached for a this new one. As I was getting ready to remove this one and thankfully at the last minute before a disaster.

Backing plate failed-20201011_152515-jpg

Backing plate failed-20201011_152521-jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

6. Thanks DUBL0WS6 thanked for this post
    Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    Just got off the phone with GG, new backing plate is on its way.

Alan, gentlemen I spoke with, told me they use spd 4 for cutting and have never needed spd 6 as it’s overkill. Talked about technique and I mentioned the pads I was using didn’t have the hole, he said the polisher really needs that hole to get rid of the heat. So I’m gonna try and drill a hole I’m a pad and see how it works, probably need to punch it rather than drill....

Either way I’m very happy with the customer service as I knew I would be. Now to slow the machine a bit and see what happens.
    Thanks for the update. I kind of figured that running at a lower speed would be the correct way. Similar to the Rupes tools with not needing anything above speed 4. I have not had issues using the meguiar's microfiber pads on the Rupes running at speed 4. Swap them out every few panels and blow them out to keep them cool. Doesn't need a lot of pressure either.

8. Likes 2wookies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post

Note the pad is NOT carried by AG so lesson learned for me. 5.5" pad on 5" backing plate.

Should have known this pad woukd fail when the prior one deformed and I reached for a this new one. As I was getting ready to remove this one and thankfully at the last minute before a disaster.

Backing plate failed-20201011_152515-jpg

Backing plate failed-20201011_152521-jpg

Geez. Those are not the Lake Country CCS pads? From the picture they look like it to me. I have some CCS pads and they're definitely not my favorite. Thin Pro is what I end up using most of the time as well as Rupes yellow foam pads.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Geez. Those are not the Lake Country CCS pads? From the picture they look like it to me. I have some CCS pads and they're definitely not my favorite. Thin Pro is what I end up using most of the time as well as Rupes yellow foam pads.
    No they are not and I'm not planning on bashing them on this forum. The manufacturer or rather supplier no longer carries them and we can see why is all I can say.

11. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's your pictures inserted to make them easier for all to see - but mostly me.

To me, the above looks like the pads got hot. It's normal for any liquid that you're using to migrate to the center of the pad and build-up on the backing plate.

WET PADS HOLD HEAT IN BETTER THAN DRY PADS

This is why I practice and preach to switch to a a clean DRY pad often when using foam pads on any tool.

The oscillation and rotation action of any brand of polisher is a,

VIOLENT ACTION

Heck, I'm surprised pads hold up as well as they do.

We collectively punish our pads and all their different aspects, the backing, the adhesive and the foam itself, anytime we buff out a car.

Just what I see....

13. Thanks IH8SPM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree Mike and I should have known better but I wasn't focused on the task as I normally am. It was however a first of its kind and I started out with rotary tools and those steering wheel size pads. Backing plate failed.. Mike any videos of you doing a class from those days before DA pads were a thing?

Mike Phillips

Totally agree Mike and I should have known better but I wasn't focused on the task as I normally am. It was however a first of its kind and I started out with rotary tools and those steering wheel size pads. Backing plate failed..
    Copy that. I think I remember wool pads as large as 9", maybe larger!

Mike any videos of you doing a class from those days before DA pads were a thing?
    Nope.

My first real video included a dual action polisher, the Porter Cable. First full length video ever made showing from start to finish and the complete process.

16. Thanks IH8SPM thanked for this post
    Likes IH8SPM liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast