autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently purchased Griots G9 - pad not spinning. Confirm its just user error.

Hello - I recently purchased my first DA polisher, GG G9. Pretty excited. Got to using it and I noticed that at speeds 1-2 with wax application, the pad would easily stop spinning. At speeds 3-5 with polish application it would stop spinning when I believe I was not level and/or it would hit a body ridge. I did some research online (there is a thread in this forum addressing this Griots G9 Not spinning) and even called up Griots who were very helpful and I attribute it to just user error.

So my question:

Has anyone heard/seen any defects with the G9 relating to the pad not spinning? I know there has been issues with the power cord in the past but anything as it relates to the drive mechanisms? I ask because although I trust Griots as a company I just want to double check that the "user error" is not just an easy answer.

Thanks Everyone.

Mike Phillips

Re: Recently purchased Griots G9 - pad not spinning. Confirm its just user error.

Bump the speed up to the 5 and 6 speed range and hold the tool in a way that the pad is flat to the surface.

Practice working on a flat horizontal panel like the trunk lid and/or the hood.

The tool works as good and better than any free spinning random orbital polisher. You just need to spend some time behind the tool.

3. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Recently purchased Griots G9 - pad not spinning. Confirm its just user error.

More,

Watch this video - even though I'm showing the Porter Cable, every technique I share works with the GG9

Copy what yo see here,

How to Monitor Pad Rotation? Mark Your Buffing Pads

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DantetheInferno View Post

as it relates to the drive mechanisms?

The tool maintains pad rotation via the counterweight at high speed.

It's called - inertia

You need to get the speed turned up so the motor spins up so inertia is created in the counterweight to get the pad to rotate and to maintain pad rotation.

Millions of cars have been buffed out with this "design"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for the quick reply. That is what I was figuring - just need more time behind the machine more than anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DantetheInferno View Post
    Thanks Mike for the quick reply. That is what I was figuring - just need more time behind the machine more than anything.
    I too had time this past weekend to try both my new G9 and G8. I had both of the previous models and was comfortable using them. But as much as these are new machines, I discovered that not running them above speed-4 then they are very sensitive to stalling the rotation. First rule as Mike states is to keep the pad flat and watch the rotation. With the improvements in the tool and the slightly taller design I found myself not keeping the pad flat. Second was running it slower when encountering different panels and angles between those panels. I am running the G9 with the 5-inch backing plate if that is similar to your setup. Yes I could see the rotation slow and then took time to understand the panels I was working. I as the operator of the tool, need to keep focused on using it properly.

I really am impressed with this latest design and it is a huge leap for a basic starter machine. I actually own 3 entry level polishers, Harbor Freight, the GG G6, and now the G9. I took them all down to a body shop and demonstrated each to the staff. It was a perfect example of DA orbital machines from low to mid-range priced tools. Plus it really showed them an example of Good, Better, and Best in picking their first polisher. For my needs now and for many years I can do everything the higher brands can do and still have money to invest in more pads!

And for what it is worth, Griot's Garage has an excellent warranty both in performance and satisfaction. I think we have winners to learn and enjoy.

8. Thanks DantetheInferno thanked for this post