autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage G15/G21 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher *Ground-Up Redesign*

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    How did the price of the 15mm go from $ 365 (BOSS G15) to $ 240 (new G15) for a machine that is advertised as better/improved? Sorry if I sound skeptical, but "better" and "much less expensive" are rarely used in the same sentence. P.S. Is Griot's still building their polishers in China?

ScottH
    Yes, still made in China but a different supplier that is potentially cheaper than the previous one and they were able to lower the cost? Or maybe they found a cheaper way to make the motor? Only Griot's would be able to say how they lowered the price that much but it still has lifetime warranty so I'd not be wary of buying it.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

i don't think GG would sacrifice quality, lower the price, and bring a new product out to the market that is inferior compared to the previous model, that would be a step backwards. especially, given how hard they've been working on this from scratch for quite some time (years) now. they have a lot of talented/skilled employees that work very hard everyday to bring detailers/enthusiasts the best they possibly can. they just keep pushing the envelope and never stop...

Post Thanks / Like

How did the price of the 15mm go from $ 365 (BOSS G15) to $ 240 (new G15) for a machine that is advertised as better/improved? Sorry if I sound skeptical, but "better" and "much less expensive" are rarely used in the same sentence. P.S. Is Griot's still building their polishers in China?

ScottH
    Hmm..... Maybe in the same way that a 4K Ultra HDTV was around $4,000 dollars when they came out in 2010, and now you can buy one for 300 bucks on Amazon?

And yes, the Griot's machines are ASSEMBLED in China. And so are iPhones.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

**Updated Release Date**
    *** Available 6/5/20 ***

5. Thanks Thomkirby, SNP209 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think that savings could have been made in revamping their whole polisher line at the same time/such a short timeframe (considering their bread and butter 6" machine, 3" machine, and long strokes are all refreshed within a year). Efficiencies and savings you make with one model can help save on the next machine down the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Hmm..... Maybe in the same way that a 4K Ultra HDTV was around $4,000 dollars when they came out in 2010, and now you can buy one for 300 bucks on Amazon?

And yes, the Griot's machines are ASSEMBLED in China. And so are iPhones.

Paul - yes, could be as you described with the lower prices on TV's.

All - My question really wasn't aimed at the notion of product quality, although some replies seem to have assumed that. More specifically, I have made a personal decision I will no longer purchase anything made in China where other options exist. No one has to agree with me, and no one has to do as "I do".

It is my belief that we can/should make things here in America (including the downstream supply chain) and employ our own people; especially when the company is American-owned. Again no one has to agree; I speak for myself. Change takes time, and starts with one person and one action.

P.S. I am also in the pro audio industry and the sentiment there is even stronger. Pro audio engineers have put manufacturers on-notice, sending a loud and clear message to manufacturers. It is being referred to as the "Quit China" movement.

Be well,
    ScottH

8. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes ollever liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m in the same camp now Scott. I have the original Boss machines and really like them. I was eyeballing the new ones, but will end up in the Rupes camp. I am in the process of going full time mobile and will carry both Boss tools on the trailer. They are reliable, do a good job, easy to replace brushes, and the lifetime warranty means I will never have to buy a new one. The reliance on Chinese manufacturing needs to end. But right now it is hard to recommend a good entry level polisher that rivals the G9. Maybe Rupes can fill that gap in the near future. I do feel bad for Griot’s, the new long throws are priced very well, but I think the Chinese made sentiment might kill them out of gate.

10. Thanks ScottH thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the machine looks too “tall” if you will. Not sure how that will feel once you use the machine tho.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Would I prefer if the machine was made in the US? Sure!
    Would I pay double the price if it was made here instead of China? Not so sure.
    Would I pay double for the Rupes which is assembled in the US? I would not unless they had the same warranty as Griot's.

The warranty is Griot's biggest difference. For the pro that gets hundreds of jobs in a year, if the Rupes fails year 2, who cares? They made enough money from that one machine they can pay for repair or a replacement. For the hobbyist that is not making any money and only polishing a couple of times per year, if that, how would that person feel if the machine died year 2 and he/she only got a couple of uses out of it? For that person to pay for a repair is not nice. Replace the polisher? No way. That's where Griot's shines, if their polisher fails year 2, year 5, year 10, doesn't matter, they got your back.

I value warranty more than I value made in the US. When a company believes their product is the best out there, they stand behind it.
    Bruno Soares

13. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul - yes, could be as you described with the lower prices on TV's.

All - My question really wasn't aimed at the notion of product quality, although some replies seem to have assumed that. More specifically, I have made a personal decision I will no longer purchase anything made in China where other options exist. No one has to agree with me, and no one has to do as "I do".

It is my belief that we can/should make things here in America (including the downstream supply chain) and employ our own people; especially when the company is American-owned. Again no one has to agree; I speak for myself. Change takes time, and starts with one person and one action.

P.S. I am also in the pro audio industry and the sentiment there is even stronger. Pro audio engineers have put manufacturers on-notice, sending a loud and clear message to manufacturers. It is being referred to as the "Quit China" movement.

Be well,
    ScottH
    I apologize if my post seemed aggressive in any way, Scott. And I really wish more (most) things were manufactured & assembled here in America just like you do, don't get me wrong.

However, as long as these Muti-Billion dollar companies have relocated all of the manufacturing overseas to maximize profits, a company like Griot's has no choice but to follow suit unless they were to build their own plants similar to a car manufacturer circa the 1950's. That is not a workable model in today's world for a company such as Griot's.

As far as "Made in America" units..... I challenge anyone to prove that these units contain ZERO foreign-made parts.

That being said, I have to agree with Bruno's post about the warranty. Buying an "American made" Rupes for twice the price with the knowledge that if on day 366 it would cost me $100 bucks to fix if it craps out (which they are known to do) is a HUGE no for me.

JMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Thanks ScottH thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast