autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Garage G-9 vs. Porter Cable 7424XP

I am getting a polisher for my son. I have a Rupes 21 (version 1), a Flex 3401 and a Porter Cable 7424XP (I also have another Flex 3401 that I gave to my son-in-law that I picked up from a Forum member back in Boston last year). I usually use the Flex. The Rupes is pretty finicky on anything but larger flat surfaces and the Flex is just so much easier to use.

I am looking at getting either a Porter Cable 7424XP of the Griot's Garage G9. I have heard good things about the Griot's but a few reports of vibration issues. I actually pulled out my Porter Cable on Saturday to show my son a few tricks. I was amazed at how loud it was. My son, without any prompting, told me that it really vibrated. The $50 difference isn't a big deal for a better machine.

Any issues with the G9 as a free spinning machine vs a direct drive? I read that the Griot's with the 5 inch backing plate and thicker pads works great. Thoughts. thanks Phil

Mike Phillips

Re: Griot's Garage G-9 vs. Porter Cable 7424XP

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post

I am getting a polisher for my son. I have a Rupes 21 (version 1), a Flex 3401 and a Porter Cable 7424XP (I also have another Flex 3401 that I gave to my son-in-law that I picked up from a Forum member back in Boston last year).

I usually use the Flex. The Rupes is pretty finicky on anything but larger flat surfaces and the Flex is just so much easier to use.

I am looking at getting either a Porter Cable 7424XP of the Griot's Garage G9. I have heard good things about the Griot's but a few reports of vibration issues. I actually pulled out my Porter Cable on Saturday to show my son a few tricks. I was amazed at how loud it was. My son, without any prompting, told me that it really vibrated. The $50 difference isn't a big deal for a better machine.
    So nice to hear you're teaching him how to take care of what for most people is their second largest investment in life - their car.

Any issues with the G9 as a free spinning machine vs a direct drive?
    To me, this is comparing apples to oranges. I have an article like this when the topic of comparing RUPES to FLEX comes up and keep in mind, I wrote the article before RUPES introduced their gear-driven Mille and before FLEX introduced their free spinning FINISHER. So in context, when someone asked or compared RUPES to FLEX they were comparing free spinning to gear-driven and in the article I even include a picture of an apple and an orange.

FLEX 3401 or RUPES? - A question I get asked a lot! -Mike Phillips

But to you question, same answer from me. As you know, there's simple ZERO pad stalling with a gear-driven orbital. Any brand of free spinning random orbital is going to experience pad stalling at some point while buffing out the curves or tight areas on a car.

BUT - I believe SHORT STROKE free spinning polishers are less prone to pad stalling than long stroke free spinning polishers due to the Ghosting

The ghosting footprint and the actual footprint - Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polishers

I read that the Griot's with the 5 inch backing plate and thicker pads works great. Thoughts. thanks Phil
    I wrote this, (and then read it), in my review. The thing is, the G9 has so much power, it's has no problems turning and churning thicker pads, especially if you swap to the 5" backing plate.

Here's my articles on these two topics,

Foam Pad Options for the Griots G9 Polisher

Backing Plate Swap - 5 inch backing plate for the Griot's Garage G9

And I believe this is still the most exhaustive text review.

Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

The Griots G9 seems cutting edge as for design, power, and the warrantee is a no brainer.

There's seems to have been a few here who have had issues with their G9. Could be quality control related, seems only the detachable Cord was the issue with one or two units. Griots apparently made good to those customers, and I'll leave others to comment if they choose.

I think all these machines are going to be a bit loud, give or take just a few decibels.

I have a PC7424XP. As far as I'm concerned, there's only two correction speeds on this machine, speed 5 and 6. Speed 5 sometimes feels inadequate, and 6 is way over the top with noise and vibration IMO.

The Griots G9 should be the more powerful machine.

With Griots you've got a lifetime warrantee and 180 day return for full refund warrantee if you don't like it. I'd assume even if you buy the machine here, Griots honors that return warrantee in that Autogeek is a Griots authorized dealer.

While the PC is a pretty sturdy machine, the Griots ups it in so many ways with it's more modern design incorporations.

Even with some minor glitches recently found, if it was me looking between the PC and the Griots G9, I think I'd go with the Griots.

Reckon the choice has to be yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn’t even be compared. The G9 is far superior in every way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

5. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both since Santa just gave me the G9. The Porter Cable 7424XP has a 540 Watt motor and the G9 has a 1000 Watt motor. The G9 is a better choice hands down. It is more powerful, smoother operating, cooler operating and more ergonomically designed.

7. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I have both since Santa just gave me the G9. The Porter Cable 7424XP has a 540 Watt motor and the G9 has a 1000 Watt motor. The G9 is a better choice hands down. It is more powerful, smoother operating, cooler operating and more ergonomically designed.
    And it looks like a modern day polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    And it looks like a modern day polisher.
    Funny how I think of "modern day".
    I can think about 25 years back, a guy at work scored some Porter Cable Orbital Waxer machine cheap, and I recall I was jealous! LOL Like I lost out on the Lottery! HaHa.

If you could see what that thing looked like, similar to the old Waxcoa Machines, it looked like the Planet Saturn! LOL

JHC, What junk we had back in the day to detail and take care of a car!

10. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Porter Cable is a good machine and in many cases will do the job, however the one time I had a chance to try one it seemed to be louder and vibrate more than the GG6 I had at the time which had more power to boot. I now have the GG9 and I find it to be a tad less noisy and considerably less vibration than the GG6 I had. If the extra $ is not an issue, the GG9 will be a better machine and a lifetime warranty to boot.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sold. I have a G9 in the autogeek cart, along with a 5 inch backing plate and a six pack of pads. Thank you all for the input. All the best. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Shouldn’t even be compared. The G9 is far superior in every way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Completely agree, these two machines shouldnt even be in the same comparison conversation. Its not even fair as one hasnt been updated for what 10 years? And the other is brand new design etc. There was already no comparison between the GG6v2 and a PC, let alone the G9 now.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast