autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage G-9 vs. Porter Cable 7424XP

Order made, G9, a five-inch backing plate, a six-pack of pads and a couple more pads. Why doesn't Griot's just offer the G9 with the five-inch backing plate instead of or in place of the six-inch backing plate. Seems like everyone replaces the six with the five anyway. Autogeek has a nice package on sale that includes the G9, a five-inch backing plate and a few pads, but the backing plate is not the Griot's Garage version it is the Lake Country Hook and Loop version, nice quality, but without the cooling holes......

We had a change to buff out the new Toyota Highlander before they headed back to Utah. It was getting late in the day and was bit cool, so we opted to use HD Speed vs. One Step. Highlander came out looking terrific.

Thanks again for the input. Love this forum and the boundless amount of wisdom shared. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    Order made, G9, a five-inch backing plate, a six-pack of pads and a couple more pads. Why doesn't Griot's just offer the G9 with the five-inch backing plate instead of or in place of the six-inch backing plate. Seems like everyone replaces the six with the five anyway. Autogeek has a nice package on sale that includes the G9, a five-inch backing plate and a few pads, but the backing plate is not the Griot's Garage version it is the Lake Country Hook and Loop version, nice quality, but without the cooling holes......

We had a change to buff out the new Toyota Highlander before they headed back to Utah. It was getting late in the day and was bit cool, so we opted to use HD Speed vs. One Step. Highlander came out looking terrific.

Thanks again for the input. Love this forum and the boundless amount of wisdom shared. Phil
    Yeah, so many of us have wondered the same thing about why the 5" Backing Plate doesn't come stock with their DAs. Same with Porter Cable and others.

I wanted to make mention to you quickly, just in case. There are two Griots Garage 5" Ventilated Backing Plates. One, a universal Model that will fit basically all other DAs, including their GG6, Porter Cable, Megs, and all others with a 5/16" threaded Stud.

Then there is a specific 5" Ventilated Plate designed and optimized for the G9 Polisher. Check to insure you got the correct Plate.

Either Plate will fit the G9, but the newer G9 specific Plate is said to take advantage of their patented Cooling Fin system within the Shroud.

Post Thanks / Like

I now use my PC as a 3", and it excels at this task.

It's a little loud, but I already owned it and using it as a 3" is better than it collecting dust.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I figured I’d post this here instead of a new thread.

I changed from a 7424XP to the G9 a couple months ago.

On my third job with it, yesterday, I was HDSpeeding the roof of a Grand Marquis and felt something like a stone hit my chest. I let go of the trigger but it stuck on, G9 running full speed and wouldn’t turn off. Pulled the power cord from it to kill it.

Turns out the trigger lock button had popped out of its housing, likely a spring was lost in that moment.

I was able to take it apart and pull the trigger lock stud (center of picture) out of the housing, reassembled it, and continue the job using only the trigger. My pride was the only thing keeping me from finishing the job with my 7424.

I’ll be calling Griot’s tomorrow when they’re open, hoping to resolve this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes. Sorry to hear that, Eric.

Rest assured though, Griot's will make it right.

7. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure seem to have some QC issues with new vendor. AG forum is a small sample size but seems to be alot. Wonder who new manufacturer is

9. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Sure seem to have some QC issues with new vendor. AG forum is a small sample size but seems to be alot. Wonder who new manufacturer is

As with all new/redesigned machines. Including the auto industry. These bugs will rarely show up until the products get out into the real world.

Griot's has a lifetime warranty, and will take these issues seriously. The auto industry has a warranty period, and a recall program for known defects.

None of these will cost any customer a dime.

11. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No don’t get me wrong... i’m a Griots fan but G9 has been having issues since release. I don’t think it’s them and 100% will make it right. But if the manufacturer the chose is having issues or cutting corners.... not much griots can do at this point but take care of customers.

This not something in house manufactured that can becturned around ASAP.

The nice thing about the BOSS polishers is maybe they’ve had time to change flaws that were foumd before these came out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12