autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help build a G9 “kit”

I want to get a G9 (first buffer for me) and use it to touch up our 3 cars. Each car is different in its condition.

2008 Accord Coupe -metallic grey - son’s daily - some swirling but not horrible has some water staining and such. Rock chips are present but overall decent condition considering age.

2016 Acura TLX - pearl white - wife’s daily. She’s a drive through car wash junkie and drives through the car wash by her office about 3 times a week. You be the judge of the condition of the paint.

2019 Sierra AT4 - pacific blue metallic. My daily - paint is new and in good condition.

If I had $350 to spend on a buffer and accessories/pads/chemicals...what would you suggest I get?

Thanks

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help build a G9 “kit”

If it were me, I would compliment the G9 with either Griot's Boss pads, or Lake Country flat pads.

As for products, the Griot's Boss Creams are hard to beat for performance, price, and ease of use.

I would also get a good array of quality MF towels, a pad cleaning brush, and pad cleaner (rejuvenator). McKee's Polishing Pad Cleaner is my favorite.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

do you own any other polishers? if not, i would consider the GG6 (currently in the outlet store). you can use the code (wkend25) for the current sale which is 25% off, and will knock the price down to $112.49 (normally $149.99). with this polisher you can equip it with a smaller backing plate/pads, where as with the G9 they recommend using only the 5" & 6" backing plates with it. normally, single unit polishers are excluded from any discount so this is a great deal. later down the line you can purchase the G9 (or perhaps a long throw G15/21) and delegate the GG6 to a smaller pad set-up if so desired. just a thought...

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher Free Pads with Purchase!

Post Thanks / Like

@visitor -

I do not own a polisher currently. While my nature is to dive head first into getting what I need all at once, I also realize that once I get our vehicles to a certain point, it’s about maintaining that and I would rather not have a ton of stuff sitting around only getting used a few times here and there.

I do believe that with tools it’s buy once/cry once and to get good things that last.

Thanks,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Might be a wise recommendation by Visitor to go with the GG6 instead.
    Many highly praise the GG6, and it will come with the lifetime warrantee, just like all other Griots Polishers.

The difference with the G9, is a little better ergonomics, a difference of only 1mm in throw.

But like Visitor says, the cost savings can supply the GG6 with 2-3 additional Backing Plates. a 5" GG Vented, a 3-7/8" LC Yelllow Urethane Plate which can then host 4" Pads, and the Heavy Duty 3" GG Plate for 3" Pads.
    That will give you a total of 4 Backing Plates to use. The G9 comes with a 6" Backing Plate.

I've found a number of times where even 5.5" Pads proved difficult to use in tight spots, curves, around mirrors and trim, A and B Pillars, License Plate Coves, Mirrors, etc. Many smaller and average sized cars have tons of areas that are a bit "tight" IMO.

Thus there will be a greater degree of versatility with the GG6.

Of course your choice. If you can afford it, get both!

6. Thanks brianc636, VISITOR thanked for this post
    Likes brianc636 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I could get both but I’m not sure I need both of them right now.

Sounds like the GG6 is the way to go. Now to start building my GG6 kit instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

If you’re only getting one machine go for the G9. The improvement over the GG6 is huge.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    If you’re only getting one machine go for the G9. The improvement over the GG6 is huge.
    Like Mike P. said, the G9 will turn and churn those pads, but most say the GG6 has good power to also correct well.
    Both can stall in certain instances since both are free wheeling D/As.

I know, a tough choice, and probably not sensible to have both machines, at least not at first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Like Mike P. said, the G9 will turn and churn those pads, but most say the GG6 has good power to also correct well.
    Both can stall in certain instances since both are free wheeling D/As.

I know, a tough choice, and probably not sensible to have both machines, at least not at first.
    Power is not the biggest improvement in my opinion. The ergonomics, lighter body, detachable cord, added cooling for the pads, those are the big ones. Polishing is a chore and if you can be more comfortable doing it, you’ll have better results due to less cutting corners that can happen when tired or just wanting to get it done quick.
    Bruno Soares

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast