autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mike Phillips

Re: Which polisher for a new guy?

And here's the history of the Porter Cable wood sander as a car polisher.

I should edit and update the title to this thread for simpler understanding and Google search indexing to something like this,

The history of the Porter Cable polisher for detailing cars

What do you guys think?

Anways - here's the article that tells the story and the history as to how we got to where we're at in the year 2019 as I type.

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

The Porter Cable Dual Action Sander with Wood Dust Collecting Attachment for Sanding Wood

I dare say that all the free spinning random orbital polishers we use today have their roots or beginnings based upon the Porter Cable wood sander.

Car Detailing History

Where else can you find this kind of information?

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And here's the history of the Porter Cable wood sander as a car polisher.

I should edit and update the title to this thread for simpler understanding and Google search indexing to something like this,

The history of the Porter Cable polisher for detailing cars

What do you guys think?

Anways - here's the article that tells the story and the history as to how we got to where we're at in the year 2019 as I type.

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

The Porter Cable Dual Action Sander with Wood Dust Collecting Attachment for Sanding Wood

I dare say that all the free spinning random orbital polishers we use today have their roots or beginnings based upon the Porter Cable wood sander.

Car Detailing History

Where else can you find this kind of information?

Yes!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I need to start with the GG6.

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    Just a suggestio, take one of Mike' detailing hands on classes. You can test drive alll kinds of polishers n supplies n get proper use training. I took one of his classes last year after which i purchased a flex xc3401 and xfe 7-12. I am only a hobbyist that likes to keep his rides in nice shape
    I'd love to but I can't really justify $1500 plus travel expenses just to keep our cars waxed. If I planned on doing this as a job I'd definitely consider it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    I dont understand why every " what POLISHER do you guys recommend thread" has to be a measuring contest!
    What I find funny is that some guys seem to gloss right over the fact that these threads are started by NEW members who want an ENTRY level machine.

A comparison would be a guy asking about which small mower would be good for his 1/4 acre lot, and then some people are recommending a $10,000 zero-turn unit.

These guys are not pros. (They could be one day.....if they chose to).

These guys want our advice on what to START with. And, in many cases (mine included) guys just want to keep their own personal cars looking good. Once you learn proper washing/drying and polishing techniques, the only things you are left to correct are very minor, and a machine such as the PC or GG6 is all you need.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks nprotz thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR, dlc95, DETAILROOKIE, nprotz, Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    What I find funny is that some guys seem to gloss right over the fact that these threads are started by NEW members who want an ENTRY level machine.

A comparison would be a guy asking about which small mower would be good for his 1/4 acre lot, and then some people are recommending a $10,000 zero-turn unit.

These guys want our advice on what to START with. And, in many cases (mine included) guys just want to keep their own personal cars looking good. Once you learn proper washing/drying and polishing techniques, the only things you are left to correct are very minor, and a machine such as the PC or GG6 is all you need.
    Thanks! That’s exactly what I want. I’m pretty sure I’ll never be a pro lol. I’m not opposed to paying money for a good tool but this will be just personal use. The cars that I’ll be using these on are in great good shape. I may work on a few family members’ vehicles that will need more correction. I would like something I can grow with and something that won’t beat me to death.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nprotz View Post
    Thanks! That’s exactly what I want. I’m pretty sure I’ll never be a pro lol. I’m not opposed to paying money for a good tool but this will be just personal use. The cars that I’ll be using these on are in great good shape. I may work on a few family members’ vehicles that will need more correction. I would like something I can grow with and something that won’t beat me to death.
    IMO every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one pc-style DA. rest assured, the GG6 is an excellent/quality tool and very versatile. you heard it from Mike himself, and he teaches classes with over hundreds (if not thousands) of people per year all over the country...

9. Thanks nprotz thanked for this post
    Likes nprotz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder who was the one that said "Lets take this SANDER to my car and see how it works as a polisher"?! lol
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone mention the GG9 for him to start with that is supposed to be a great polisher too ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynoguy View Post
    Has anyone mention the GG9 for him to start with that is supposed to be a great polisher too ?
    This thread was from May. The G9 wasn't even on the market then.

But, if this thread were new, then you would be right on.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Great analogy for a spot on reply my friend. Nuff said.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

15. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345