autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

6in Orbital to 15mm

Hey everyone (I'm just full of questions today), I'm kicking the idea of upgrading the 6in DA to the BOSS 15mm throw orbital.

How does the 15mm throw handle curves compared to the 8mm throw? Do you notice a real difference in the amount of time you spend working on compounding and polishing? Does the added power make a difference during your process? Are these differences worth the added cost?

Thanks for you input!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6in Orbital to 15mm

the larger the stroke, the more prone to stalling (you'll have to adjust to the panel/contour) and that's with any/all long throw polishers. the advantage is it will cover more ground, be smoother, and more comfortable to use. that's why it's ideal to have a few different polishers. keep your current polisher and equip it with a smaller pad set-up..

3. Likes 392hemi, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    the larger the stroke, the more prone to stalling (you'll have to adjust to the panel/contour) and that's with any/all long throw polishers. the advantage is it will cover more ground, be smoother, and more comfortable to use. that's why it's ideal to have a few different polishers. keep your current polisher and equip it with a smaller pad set-up..
    I'm running a 5in pad on it. I use the Lake Country flat pads right now. I'm considering switching to the thin pads though.

Post Thanks / Like

I went from a Porter Cable 7424 to a Boss 21, no issues or stalling. Made work on my Dodge Charger, buddys Challenger and Titan truck go so much faster.

I'm not a pro, but with a kid, work and other life, I dont have as much time to detail. The Griots 21 was a dream! I also have the 5inch backing plate for the G21. My PC now has a 3inch BP for smaller areas.

6. Likes VISITOR, Coatingsarecrack, AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

8. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AaronE View Post
    I'm running a 5in pad on it. I use the Lake Country flat pads right now. I'm considering switching to the thin pads though.

I found that the thin pads were better on my PC. But Dan (dlc95) turned me on to the "light touch method". I swear it works. Just keep enough pressure on the surface to keep it spinning max RPM's while using a great abrasive, and you can get great results using even thicker (7/8") pads.

FWIW, I am a big Lake Country flat pad fan.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    I went from a Porter Cable 7424 to a Boss 21, no issues or stalling. Made work on my Dodge Charger, buddys Challenger and Titan truck go so much faster.

I'm not a pro, but with a kid, work and other life, I dont have as much time to detail. The Griots 21 was a dream! I also have the 5inch backing plate for the G21. My PC now has a 3inch BP for smaller areas.

I'm in the same boat with my time being limited due to family, work, military, school, life, and probably two other things I cannot even think of right now. How much time would you say you saved? I.e. 25% 50%, etc. Just a ballpark guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I found that the thin pads were better on my PC. But Dan (dlc95) turned me on to the "light touch method". I swear it works. Just keep enough pressure on the surface to keep it spinning max RPM's while using a great abrasive, and you can get great results using even thicker (7/8") pads.

FWIW, I am a big Lake Country flat pad fan.
    I do try to keep a light had on my GG6in (~ 5lbs of pressure is my goal) and run Megs Mirror Glaze polishing products (M105/205 combo usually). I don't notice too much bogging down with the flat pads myself honestly. I just figured if they weren't helping my work time then I'd consider a switch. I'm namely trying to save some time without sacrificing the ability to have a machine to tackle whatever project body shape I take on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AaronE View Post
    I'm in the same boat with my time being limited due to family, work, military, school, life, and probably two other things I cannot even think of right now. How much time would you say you saved? I.e. 25% 50%, etc. Just a ballpark guess.

I was dealing with an auto body shop and "detailer" that destroyed my immaculate finish. The PC was just taking too long to work and could not get to 100 percent.

See here

Help detailer trashed my paint!

Being OCD and annoyed at stalling of the PC on my hood, I bought the Boss G21. A couple of things, it is a lot smoother and less taxing on my body than the PC, I would say it cut my time in half.

You can't go wrong with any of the upgrades in machines, be it 15, 21. Rupes, Flex or Griots.

I got my car back to 99.99 percent and the G21 did not stall. I've done other larger cars, it just is so much faster due to the longer stroke and power. Takes way less passes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    I was dealing with an auto body shop and "detailer" that destroyed my immaculate finish. The PC was just taking too long to work and could not get to 100 percent.

See here

Help detailer trashed my paint!

Being OCD and annoyed at stalling of the PC on my hood, I bought the Boss G21. A couple of things, it is a lot smoother and less taxing on my body than the PC, I would say it cut my time in half.

You can't go wrong with any of the upgrades in machines, be it 15, 21. Rupes, Flex or Griots.

I got my car back to 99.99 percent and the G21 did not stall. I've done other larger cars, it just is so much faster due to the longer stroke and power. Takes way less passes.
    You're definitely talking me into going for the G21 instead now. With a smaller pad (5in plate and 5.5in diameter, 1/2in thick LC flat pad) I shouldn't bog down on the curves of the cars or the airplanes (the REALLY time draining/life sucking polishing projects I do) I would imagine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast