autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6in Orbital to 15mm

Yeah I did my first polish /correction ever. My mustangs got a ton of curves. The G15 stall here and their but I would adjust (rotate) the head and she would kick right back in. Simple to use.

I would highly recommend if your new and need polishing AND correcting skip an 8mm and by the 15. Works faster, way smoother than GG6. A lot will recommend to start with the an 8 mm

Some post/article seem intimidating but truth is you’d have to mess up really bad to damage paint (sit on one place 20+ seconds).

My recommendation though is for newer cars though. Have a nice amount of clear to work with. Long as you remember to keep moving all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Yeah I did my first polish /correction ever. My mustangs got a ton of curves. The G15 stall here and their but I would adjust (rotate) the head and she would kick right back in. Simple to use.

I would highly recommend if your new and need polishing AND correcting skip an 8mm and by the 15. Works faster, way smoother than GG6. A lot will recommend to start with the an 8 mm

Some post/article seem intimidating but truth is you’d have to mess up really bad to damage paint (sit on one place 20+ seconds).

My recommendation though is for newer cars though. Have a nice amount of clear to work with. Long as you remember to keep moving all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Truth be told, after tackling a 3in rotary on my pillars without issue, I kind of regret my 21mm throw and wish I opted for a rotary 6in Orbital to 15mm I think as long as you keep it moving with the right pad and speed you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AaronE View Post
    Truth be told, after tackling a 3in rotary on my pillars without issue, I kind of regret my 21mm throw and wish I opted for a rotary 6in Orbital to 15mm I think as long as you keep it moving with the right pad and speed you'll be fine.

If you ever decide to do rotary, go with the new Metabo
    Best you'll get for your $$$$

Metabo PE 15-20 RT

6. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I've never had issues with my G15 stalling. Works great.
    I very very rarely have with my G21 .
    My obersavation and experience is the 15mm always stalled more than the 21versions

And end users technique on how well they readjust polisher to keep pad flat on panel curvatures is what dictates stall or power..

Hell I don't have any issues stalling in curves with my 25mm CutForce with 5in BP

8. Likes VISITOR, AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    If you ever decide to do rotary, go with the new Metabo
    Best you'll get for your $$$$

Metabo PE 15-20 RT
    I'll keep it in mind! I doubt I will though unless I take on a lot more work. The 21mm makes quick work of a car and mine doesn't vibrate too much.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll keep it in mind! I doubt I will though unless I take on a lot more work. The 21mm makes quick work of a car and mine doesn't vibrate too much.

Griot correct?
    It likes a lighter pad with the 6in plate
    You could most likey balance better with a 5in pad and a heavier pad..
    I can play around with weights and balance for ha..willing to bet it'll like a 35gram 5.5 pad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    Griot correct?
    It likes a lighter pad with the 6in plate
    You could most likey balance better with a 5in pad and a heavier pad..
    I can play around with weights and balance for ha..willing to bet it'll like a 35gram 5.5 pad
    Mines a lot like the Griots. But I haven't had an issue with stalling to need to look into a solution. I doubt I will except maybe in the Ram 1500 and a couple spots on the plane; but at that point, I'll just grab my GG6 with the 5in plate and use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    you bring up a great point DR. here's a video by joe (nextlevelautodetail) where there are many curves and narrow/thin panels on this vehicle and he does exactly what you just mentioned by adjusting his technique...

It doesn't matter it's simple physics. If you have a machine that has to be flat to rotate the pad then you are not getting good contact on the contour of a car. You're now only polishing a tiny area effectively and most of the pad is touching air.

There is no way around this if you have a machine with a pad that has to be flat to spin and a contoured car panel. You can rationalize it until you're blue in the face but it's not going to change that fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Mines a lot like the Griots. But I haven't had an issue with stalling to need to look into a solution. I doubt I will except maybe in the Ram 1500 and a couple spots on the plane; but at that point, I'll just grab my GG6 with the 5in plate and use it.

Ok but if you have a long throw machine it is either stalling or the pad is not in full contact on the contour. It may not be an issue for a lot of people but the bottom line is that it's happening. You can't out technique this problem with most long throws.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Ok but if you have a long throw machine it is either stalling or the pad is not in full contact on the contour. It may not be an issue for a lot of people but the bottom line is that it's happening. You can't out technique this problem with most long throws.
    You hit the nail on the head. If I'm working a curve I'm more inclined to just grab a different tool for the job that does it better. Maybe if it's a super small area and I don't want to grab the 3 in rotary for some odd reason, I can live with a partial contact.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast