autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6in Orbital to 15mm

AaronE, did you make the switch to a long throw? I have the GG2 and was having the same thoughts as you.

And, think you for your service. It is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post
    AaronE, did you make the switch to a long throw? I have the GG2 and was having the same thoughts as you.

And, think you for your service. It is appreciated.
    Thank you for your support! I love what I get to do for bug blue (it's actually drill weekend for me).

I did jump to a 21mm orbital and love it! It made fast work with D-166 on a car that had never been detailed (2002 Lincoln LS). I "bacon crisped" one pad just a little from heating it up (I learned with a regular LC flat pad to brush it every pass and do shorter section passes). I love how fast it is to correct paint with it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AaronE View Post
    Hey everyone (I'm just full of questions today), I'm kicking the idea of upgrading the 6in DA to the BOSS 15mm throw orbital.

How does the 15mm throw handle curves compared to the 8mm throw? Do you notice a real difference in the amount of time you spend working on compounding and polishing? Does the added power make a difference during your process? Are these differences worth the added cost?

Thanks for you input!

the griots is only good for flat panels, the stall is awful. Buy the Rupes MarkIII they have made huge improvements with that model as far as stalling. It basically doesn't stall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    the griots is only good for flat panels, the stall is awful. Buy the Rupes MarkIII they have made huge improvements with that model as far as stalling. It basically doesn't stall.
    The 21mm I bought isn't sold by Autogeek sadly but I did not have any bog down or stall on the Lincoln LS I buffed with an LC flat pad and the thin pro.

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting because my Griots 15 never stalled in curves like my Rupes 15MKII. With the extra power of the G15 I was able to overcome most stalling.

If you are still interested in getting rid of your G15, I will definitely take it off your hands.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of curves are you working? Everyone seems to have a different definition. When I was shopping brands I leaned heavy towards Griots due to price and ability (the winner not from AG sadly had the power, ergonomics, and better price point) and when I spoke with them on the phone, they said that the curves most people talk about are on more exotic cars. I detail Detroit steel (being a rust belt kid and dedicated to American cars) as a DIYer so.its right up my alley.

They have some attachment that helps with large curves to prevent stalling if needed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AaronE View Post
    What kind of curves are you working? Everyone seems to have a different definition. When I was shopping brands I leaned heavy towards Griots due to price and ability (the winner not from AG sadly had the power, ergonomics, and better price point) and when I spoke with them on the phone, they said that the curves most people talk about are on more exotic cars. I detail Detroit steel (being a rust belt kid and dedicated to American cars) as a DIYer so.its right up my alley.

They have some attachment that helps with large curves to prevent stalling if needed

I had a Nissan Juke, Genesis Coupe, and now a Mazda6, which are all pretty curvy and there was some stalling, but most of the time, it was overcome with moving up in speed or change in grip to keep the pad flat.

I love Griots due to the phenomenal customer service and warranty. I have and like Rupes as well, but if I need a polisher to hammer out some paint defects, I find myself going for my GG6 or G21 more often than my Rupes 15MKII.

With the types of cars you are working with, the G15 would do great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

8. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    but most of the time, it was overcome with moving up in speed or change in grip to keep the pad flat.
    you bring up a great point DR. here's a video by joe (nextlevelautodetail) where there are many curves and narrow/thin panels on this vehicle and he does exactly what you just mentioned by adjusting his technique...

10. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never saw the technique video there but I guess I did it intuitively if I ran into a problem, but I honestly don't remember even having one.

I'm like you DR, I use my 21mm DA for a lot of my work now and then my GG6 for large areas I can't easily use my 21mm. And if that's still too big, I have a 3mm rotary from the company who makes my 21mm DA that does the job.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had issues with my G15 stalling. Works great.
    Bruno Soares

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast