autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit disappointed...

I've been using a PC 7424 & 7424XP for years and wanted to upgrade to something new so I purchased a Griots G15 about a week ago during the Cyber deals. I finally got an opportunity to give it a try last night and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with it. Tried it out on speeds 4, 5 and 6 with both orange and yellow GG Boss pads and it seemed to constantly stall on the flat area of the hood of my Jeep. The pad does not spin freely by hand, it just seems stiff.

I suppose I could be doing something wrong or just need to adjust to it being a different polisher.
    Really wanted the Flex XFE7-15 but only the most expensive kit came up on the Cyber deals that included items I did not need or want.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A bit disappointed...

Did you add the washers included with the polisher? If you did and it is still not freespining, call Autogeek or Griots. They both have excellent customer service and will make it right. I had the same issue and they exchanged it for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to add the washers, start with just 1 at first to see if that gives you enough wiggle room. Also, don’t forget to lube the edge of the shroud with the silicone grease provided. Just a lil on the rim.

4. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the replies. I hesitate to say something is actually wrong with the polisher because it's new to me and I don't know if this is normal. I've been reading some previous posts about the Griots Boss polishers (which I should have done before my purchase) needing to be modified with the washers and I guess I'll give it a try but it's still disappointing that a brand new out of the box tool needs to be modified by the customer in order to work properly. These polishers have been out for about three years now and apparently Griots does not feel this is an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Adding a single washer will help a lot. It did for me. Give it a try and let us know if you have better results.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t use any washers in mine. IMO it runs smoother without the washers installed.

Post Thanks / Like

Long throw polishers are known to stall much easier than short throw polishers, so I don't think anything is wrong with your polisher, you just need to adjust your technique and concentrate on keeping the backing plate moving and not just wiggling.

Without the washers it won't freespin much, if at all. With the washers installed it will freespin some, but you won't need to lube anything since the backing plate no longer touches anything.

9. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the G21 and bought it when it first came out. Never had that issue on flat panels. It's my go to swirl killer if I need more aggression than my Rupes Duetto. I run a 5" BP on it, no washer mod.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the sake of covering all the possible reasons as to why you could be experiencing less than expected performance from your new polisher, are you connecting it directly into a wall socket? Or through an extension cord? They recommend using at least a 14 gauge cord if it’s 50’ length for optimum power of the polisher. Small chance of this making a dramatic difference, but it is possible.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Also, don’t forget to lube the edge of the shroud with the silicone grease provided. Just a lil on the rim.
    I do this to ALL our long throw polishers with shrouds. A "must do".

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post

Long throw polishers are known to stall much easier than short throw polishers,

Somewhere I have an article on this topic - it's about how the simple 8mm free spin polishers are less likely to stall out than any long stroke polishers. Can't think of the name but if anyone can find it I'll send you a "surprise" for find it and sharing it.

13. Thanks Kamakaz1961 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast