autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A bit disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Did you add the washers included with the polisher? If you did and it is still not freespining, call Autogeek or Griots. They both have excellent customer service and will make it right. I had the same issue and they exchanged it for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I just trim the rubber dust protecting hood about 1/8 inch with razor. I use 5 inch backing plate on a 21mm it’s a different brand but might work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    The Griot's pads are the way to go, I've used numerous others wth success but for over all balance, correction, etc they are the best with the "BOSS System". IMHO.
    I use them on my Rupes machines now too LOL.
    I purchased the extra Griots pads based on the assumption that the Griots pads should work the best on their polisher. Based on the comments, suggestions and recommendations of everyone that responded I guess I will keep the polisher and learn to use it with the griots pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    as mentioned, try the washer mod and (if needed) use the innerflex pad to help the pad contour to the curved panels...
    I'll give it a try. I'll post a follow-up when I get a chance to paly with it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donnym View Post
    I'll give it a try. I'll post a follow-up when I get a chance to paly with it again.
    Looking forward to hearing how it goes! I’m still an 8mm throw guy (too recreational to invest in long throw), but from all I’ve read it sounds like a slight technique adjustment is needed with the longer throws.
    I’ve seen it mentioned with the 21mm machines where you lighten up pressure so much on tight areas the pad ends up actually rotating backwards; does this happen with the 15mm machines as well?

Like Paul G (and maybe others) mentioned - if you use the inner flex pad, keep the speed down and be mindful of heat - there are a lot of forces going through that little adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Installing the washer should definitely help, as others have stated. Going from a PC style polisher to something with a longer throw requires a little bit of a learning curve.

The pads on longer throw machines have more leverage over the reciprocating components on the polisher, so if the pad stops spinning the whole machine is more prone to do the same.

Also, when using a longer stroke polisher the "footprint" of the pad can be a bit deceptive. Due to the longer stroke there will appear to be two footprints when examined up close. The outer portion is referred to as the "ghosting footprint" (credit to Mike Phillips on this) and the inner is the actual footprint. With the ghosting footprint there isn't 100% pad contact 100% of the time, but with the actual footprint there is 100% pad contact 100% of the time.

Here is the article that explains it in detail: The ghosting footprint and the actual footprint - Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polishers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donnym View Post
    Thank you to all for the comments and recommendations. I will install a washer or two if needed and give it a try. Unfortunately, it will be a week or so before I get a chance to test it out. Going to Plymouth, MI. for a sales meeting in a couple days. Haven't found the article Mike mentioned but did find the one below. Not sure if the link below will work but it is from 6-15-2015 and Mike gives an outstanding explanation of the topic with pictures.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ew-boss-paint-
    If you want to bring your G15 up to Shelby Twp, just pm me, and I can help you troubleshoot the issues with the tool. Or, I can just have you use my Duetto.

So far it looks like you have great recommendations.

First being to grease the plate, or disengage it all together. Personally, I prefer it engaged when using the Rupes system, but Griot's designed their pads and liquids for use either way.

With these long stroke tools, the whole idea behind the concept was that the larger orbit would shoulder some of the work load, instead of relying mostly on rotation. The larger swing of that 15mm tool is going to require less from the rotation to get the same amount of work done.

Another nice thing about these tools is the less pressure needed to get the job done. I've never been a heavy pressure guy, even on the PC, unless I use orange, and white foams - which I don't anymore.

7. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Consider a rotary, lots of spin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123