autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Maintenance - Brush Replacement

CUSTOMERS FOR LIFE - 100% GUARANTEE

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Maintenance - Brush Replacement

This video really surprises me. When I received my GG6, I called customer service about the brushes, and they advised me to throw them away and never try maintenance on the machine myself, as that would void the lifetime warranty. Seems they are changing their tune on that policy? Too bad, as I already tossed my brushes. :-(

Post Thanks / Like

I sent my GG6 in for warranty repair/replacement on Monday. I think it is the brushes finally wearing out. The rep said most likely they will send me a new polisher in return. Sounded like maybe only power cord replacements is the only repair they did. There would be a $30 upcharge if your polisher was not the latest version.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I sent my GG6 in for warranty repair/replacement on Monday. I think it is the brushes finally wearing out. The rep said most likely they will send me a new polisher in return. Sounded like maybe only power cord replacements is the only repair they did. There would be a $30 upcharge if your polisher was not the latest version.
    Never recalled an upcharge if your polisher wasn't the latest-greatest model, but what do I know? Also, was once told by them that no bill of sale was needed to be provided, but now not sure if that policy has changed?

I once shared a story I think, about my little Griots 3" polisher that I bought brand spanking new from a seller for the tidy sum of $63 shipped.

After an hour's use on a couple very small areas, just basically to try out, the machine seemed to had gotten much louder, and rough sounding from when I first started using it.

I decided to operate. On the GG 3", there is no outer access to the brushes, the unit must be opened.

The brushes, with basically zero wear on them from such little use were cracked in half. Good thing I had that spare set of brushes that came with the unit. They were tricky, that once after being installed into their receptacles, they had the propensity of wanting to pop out when re-assembling the two case halves, they wanted to partially pop out, thus not a proper installation initially, I suspect that's what happened when the unit was assembled at the factory.

I rectified this design flaw that by use of some electrical tape to retain the brushes in their receptacles, they then stayed put upon re-assembly as I did double check by assembling, then disassembling again.

Lubricating Grease was also not found where it was needed at the gearhead, tons of it in there, but not doing the gears much good, they were bone dry. Cleaned all factory lubricants out, replaced with a proper amount of full synthetic Super Lube Grease. Much better! I suspect no further trouble from this unit for a long time.

My advice is if you ever feel the need to disassemble one of these units, do the job neatly, professionally, do not cause evidence of the unit being dis-assembled with buggered screws, chewed up cases, etc, from shoddy attempts lest you'll likely void any-all warranties.

6. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't have my sales receipt anymore as it had been almost 10 years. I think I got it from AA on a $99 sale. They had no problem at all with that and said that it is a lifetime warranty. They sent me a form to fill out to send in with the unit.

This is what they said in the email:

'Once we get it we can either send you a gift card or use yours as a credit towards a new one. If it’s the same generation machine we have there is no price difference. If its an older one then there could be a difference of $30 and one of our reps would call you to collect the price difference.'

I'm pretty positive that it is the latest version.

Can I ask you a question about your GG3. I have had the 2" conversion kit on it for a few months now. I've noticed that there is practically no free spin. When I turn the polisher off with no load, as soon as the spindle stops oscillating the pad spinning stops right away. Comparing to my PC's, GG6, HF DA, Rupes and BOSS machines the backing plate will still have quite a lot of spin left over and free spin for 20-30 seconds. I didn't notice it when I was using the 3" BP so maybe its an inertia thing. I should put the 3" BP back on the GG3 and see. I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the bearings on the spindle or something has been tightened too much.

Could you see what kind of free spin you have with yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishRider View Post
    This video really surprises me. When I received my GG6, I called customer service about the brushes, and they advised me to throw them away and never try maintenance on the machine myself, as that would void the lifetime warranty. Seems they are changing their tune on that policy? Too bad, as I already tossed my brushes. :-(
    Same here. Was 8 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I've changed brushes in just about every power tool imaginable.

Some tools are a breeze, some are a little more tricky. Mark mentioned his experience above.

I applaud Griot's for this video. Not only do they guarantee (100%) all of their machines, they are trying to show you how easy it may be for the right person to actually take a few minutes and repair it themselves.

No "Send it in for X amount of dollars, and we'll let you know.." crap.

Griot's impresses me more and more each day. Solid, far-reaching line of products, that WORK.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

In 10 years or so I've sent in 2 6" GG polishers because the brushes finally went out and one of them i accidentally cut the cord in half. Both times they sent me brand new polishers, never a charge for anything.

11. Likes PaulMys, VISITOR liked this post