autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

GG3 polisher and the new 2" backing pad and pads

Has anyone purchased the new GG 2" backing plate and assortment of pads yet? If yes, then which polisher did you use them on? Was it the GG3?

What was the vibration like and was it hard to keep the smaller pad face parallel to the panel?

I want the 2" pads for rotary use, but would like to know what anyone's experiences are using them on a DA.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG3 polisher and the new 2" backing pad and pads

Bumping this thread. Anyone that works at Autogeek try these GG 2" pads and the 2" backing plate yet? Can you comment on how well they work?

Mike Phillips

The new 2” backing plate and pads were a huge hit at the Colorado Roadshow Car Detailing Class.

I’m pretty sure - this was the first Detailing Class where these new pads and backing plates were used.

Here’s Pete, 70 years old, took this class just to learn how to work on his own car collection.

Here he is using the new 2” BP and pads from Griot’s on a brand new KIA!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks DBAILEY, Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike. They don't look as small as I thought they would on the GG3.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you get the Backing Plate and Pads for this? I do not see them on the AGO store. Please advise
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link to the GG 2" kit : https://www.autogeek.net/griots-gara...rsion-kit.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Here is the link to the GG 2" kit : https://www.autogeek.net/griots-gara...rsion-kit.html
    Thank you! This will also work for my PC7424XP too! Way cool! Happy New Year!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it should work fine. GG made the kit to work on the GG6 too, so the PC should work fine. I am planning to use it on my GG3 to keep everything as compact as possible and for rotary use with PE-8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Thank you! This will also work for my PC7424XP too! Way cool! Happy New Year!
    probably not a good idea to use these smaller 2" backing plate/pads on a bigger/full size polisher like the PC as it could be too top heavy with the larger throw (balance off) which can potentially damage the backing plate/pads...

11. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On Black Friday I got a great deal on the 2" conversion kit through AG for $22.46. Here's the catch - I did not own the GG3 at that time. I had borrowed one from a friend before, tried it, and thought it was okay. Definitely could use more power, worked pretty good with a thinner microfiber pad. (Of course over the last several years thin foam pads have also come out that help with the power issue ) I had a 7424xp already that I could run 3" pads on so I waited the last few years for a new and better small polisher to come out.

Of course Rupes and Flex have brought out dedicated polishers, but not for pads under 3". I would love to have a Nano but I am not willing to spend the money on one at this time. Thought about the PE 8 but looks kinda big and wanted an orbital. My biggest reasons for wanting a polisher to handle a pad smaller than 3" is for interior polishing such as the black plastic on the center console of our Ford Edge and the piano black b pillars.

Now, back to my purchase of the 2" kit. I figured I would try it on my buddy's polisher. If I liked the result I would buy a GG3 and if not I could easily sell or trade the kit. I tried the kit out last month and was happy with the results. It runs smooth with the 2" pads and I did not have any issue keeping the pads flat to the surface. I tried different speeds between 3 and 6 and it was smooth regardless. It's like the polisher and the kit were made for each other! Well, actually they are, so nice job Griot's! The power is noticeably increased with the smaller pad. I had to be careful not to lose rotation while polishing the deeply curved part of the center console trim where it transitions to the climate control portion of the dash but that is to be expected of any free-spinning polisher. I polished part of a b pillar and it worked very well on that also. It fits my needs for a smaller footprint.

I bought a gift certificate when they were on sale and purchased the 3" Boss HD kit on New Years Eve and I am waiting for my order to be shipped. With using the gift certificate I will have just under $130 into the whole kit (HD polisher, 6 3" pads, trunk bag, towels, and 2" conversion kit). I will add more thin 2" pads at a later date. I have 2" Euro Fiber pads that I am anxious to try on it also.

I can't say how they would work on a rotary. I would think that a thicker pad such as the 2" Flex pads would work better on those. I have the PE 14 with a 2' backing plate and Flex pads but for me it would be too unwieldy for some of the polishing that I want to do, especially in the interior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast