autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Pads

Just need some insite on the Buff & Shine Uro pads. Just watched a video on one of Mike's videos, and they seem like good pads. I'm a true rookie so I'm trying to narrow down my selection to what ya recommend on your top 3 choices. And as always thank you for your help.

Mike Bradford
    Hattiesburg, Ms

2. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads

Quote Originally Posted by drmikeyb View Post
    Just need some insite on the Buff & Shine Uro pads. Just watched a video on one of Mike's videos, and they seem like good pads. I'm a true rookie so I'm trying to narrow down my selection to what ya recommend on your top 3 choices. And as always thank you for your help.

Mike Bradford
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    Both buff and shine Uro-fiber and uro-tec pads are in my opinion the best long-throw pad option. I use the Rupes MKII 15 and I've narrowed my pads down to

-uro-fiber: heavy defect removal and 1-step correction on hard paints. The uro-fiber pad runs significantly cooler than other microfiber pads and I can easily get 20-30 uses per pad compared to about 5-10 uses out of meguiar's microfiber cutting pads). Uro-fiber doesn't have the initial cut of the Megs or Lake country microfiber pads, but because the uro-fiber runs so much cooler the lubricants in your compound won't dry up as fast extending the buffing cycle. Also, the uro-fiber pad does still matte down like the megs and LC microfiber do, but because the fibers are slightly longer on the uro-fiber they don't seem to matte down quite as much.

-uro-tec maroon: This is a great foam pad for cutting and 1-step corrections and polishing on normal and hard paints. I love these pads because they are open-cell and run extremely cool, but they are dense enough that compounds and polishes stay on the face of the pad rather than saturating into the pad. These pads are easy to clean, dry quickly, hold up to being blown out with compressed air, and they also have an average life expectancy of 20-30 uses. If you are trying to use 1 pad per car no pad is going to last for 20-30 uses on a long-throw polisher. The key to optimizing longevity is blowing pads out in between every pass before applying more product and swapping out for a clean cool pad every few panels.

For those of you that enjoyed the performance of rupes green pad but felt it's durability was lacking, the uro-tec maroon pad took the same concept and improved on it in every way. It's cheaper, more durable, more resilient to compounds with heavy solvents, and IMO it's more balanced on a 15mm long-throw polisher.

-Uro-tec Yellow: This is a FANTASTIC polishing pad. Extremely durable and perfect finish especially on extremely soft paints. Don't try to use compressed air on these pads. I recommend having 6 of these because you'll need to swap them out once they become saturated and when you clean them they take a little longer to dry than uro-tec maroon pads. These pads easily last me 30-40 uses.

The Maroon Buff and Shine Low-pro pad sits somewhere in between the maroon and yellow uro-tec pads but I think it might be the most durable foam pad I've ever used. I have one that I've used 15 times and it showing almost no signs of wear. I'm not sure they are worth the extra price, especially when factoring in the bulk deals you can get on uro-tecs, but I figured it couldn't hurt to mention it! Good Luck!

4. Likes SWETM, Bruno Soares, waynvision liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads

Thank you that really helped allot. Have a great weekend.

Mike Bradford
    Hattiesburg, Ms