autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pads for Griots 6" Da

Morning all,

I am setting up my grandson with a Griots 6# polisher and wanted some advice on what pads to get for him. This is his first polisher and wanted to start him out right.

Thanks !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads for Griots 6" Da

Hey Ken,

On my GG6 with a 5" backing plate, I like the Buff and Shine Uro Cell pads. It's a simple and effective lineup consisting of a Blue heavy cut pad, an Orange polishing (do it all) pad and a Red waxing pad.

6 inch Buff and Shine Uro-Cell Pads

3. Likes dlc95, RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Hey Ken,

On my GG6 with a 5" backing plate, I like the Buff and Shine Uro Cell pads. It's a simple and effective lineup consisting of a Blue heavy cut pad, an Orange polishing (do it all) pad and a Red waxing pad.

6 inch Buff and Shine Uro-Cell Pads
    THANKS Chris !!!!

Hope all is well with uniz in FL

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning Ken-

Can't go wrong with Waxmaster's recommendation. I just bought some for my long-throw but haven't had time to road test them yet.

On my GG6 I've had good luck with:
    - GG 5" vented backing plate
    - LC ThinPro 5.5". Orange, White and Black would be more than adequate. These pads rotate well on the GG6 and are very durable. Reasonably cost effective as well
    - MF pads for heavy cutting. A lot has changed with these but I have used Megs MF cutting with good results ( works great with D300 ) and for really heavy duty cut, LC Thin Purple Foamed Wool Pad. The thin purple ones are best for DA as they spin better. If he's inexperienced you may want to hold off on these at first as they have some serious cutting power.

Hope you have fun setting your grandson up with his starter kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post
    Good Morning Ken-

Can't go wrong with Waxmaster's recommendation. I just bought some for my long-throw but haven't had time to road test them yet.

On my GG6 I've had good luck with:
    - GG 5" vented backing plate
    - LC ThinPro 5.5". Orange, White and Black would be more than adequate. These pads rotate well on the GG6 and are very durable. Reasonably cost effective as well
    - MF pads for heavy cutting. A lot has changed with these but I have used Megs MF cutting with good results ( works great with D300 ) and for really heavy duty cut, LC Thin Purple Foamed Wool Pad. The thin purple ones are best for DA as they spin better. If he's inexperienced you may want to hold off on these at first as they have some serious cutting power.

Hope you have fun setting your grandson up with his starter kit.
    Thanks Ted,

He`s a beginner , he just bought his first car and wants to make it look good... I have enough waxes, soaps, cleaners, etc for him

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly recommend a 5" backing plate with 5.5" lake country thinpro pads for any light to moderate correction, and either Meg's or LC low profile mf discs for heavier work.

For product spreading, a 6" backing plate and CCS blue/black/red/gold pads are the way to go.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mrken1 View Post
    Morning all,

I am setting up my grandson with a Griots 6# polisher and wanted some advice on what pads to get for him. This is his first polisher and wanted to start him out right.

Thanks !!!!

What a great way to get him started. A quality tool and some quality pads to go with it.

Here's a recent article I wrote that has a TON of useful information in it and links to even more info that your grandson will need to built an intellectual foundation for machine polishing.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

I also list pads and backing plates in the thread with the links that go to the store.

Besides the B&S Uro-Cell foam pads (closed cell), there are the B&S Uro-Tech pads (open cell) and for beginners, the maroon, yellow and white Uro-Tec pads

6 Inch Buff & Shine Uro-Tec Foam Pads

And I'd say the Lake Country 5.5" flat pads are about as easy to learn how to use as any...

Lake Country 5.5" Flat pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also use a Griots 6” DA as my first polisher.

I would recommend Buff and Shine pads with a 5” backing plate. They are very cost effective, seem to last, and work well. You can do “choose 6” packages for 35$. I find myself using a lot of orange and white pads for all in ones and polishes, and an occasional yellow for heavy cutting, and red for applying waxes/sealants.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on ThinPro pads with the 5.5" vented backing plate. They make a great combo.

Post Thanks / Like

LC ThinPro or Griot's BOSS pads.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast